Skip navigation

Hegamony Gold installer: Malicious behavior

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegamony Gold installer: Malicious behavior
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 19, 2011 at 6:21 am

I just remembered that I once got a free copy of this game, after having bought the first game on steam. None the less I came here and downloaded the installer. Now my problem is, that my zonealarm extreme claims that
[quote]This file is "zombie" software that silently terminates itself each time it's run, causing no immediate harm to arouse the suspicion of antivirus software. However, when certain conditions on your PC arise, or when it receives instructions from a remote hacker, it can execute malicious commands.[/quote]

Now I have a feeling that it is simply a false positive, but as I have never before encountered anything like this, I decided to ask those that have a better understanding of why it is happenig.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm

It's not even as severe as a false positive, all it's saying is "There's probably nothing to worry about, we just thought you might want to know about this".

There's a couple things this might be talking about. It's probably talking about the program used to register your game. In the launcher, when you enter your serial code, it passes that code to another program (which requires admin access, so if you're running Windows Vista/7 it will ask you for permission) to save your code to the registry.

That program doesn't display a GUI or anything, so it might be confusing ZoneAlarm.