Skip navigation

Enemy Generals don't lead units. Why?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Enemy Generals don't lead units. Why?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm

In my Macedon campaign I've conquered nearly all of Greece at this point but it struck me that I never once saw an enemy unit lead by one of their generals. The generals exist, obviously, some of the more important cities are full of them, but they do nothing except sit in their city until it's conquered. Why aren't they out in the field, leading their troops?

Level 8 Human Cornac
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 16, 2011 at 1:52 am

Why aren't they out in the field, leading their troops

- Sometimes they do (e.g. Illyrians).

Level 8 Human Software Engineer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

I agree, it seems like an easy addition for the AI to attach a general to a unit on deployment if on is available.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 25, 2011 at 6:48 am

Yes, it seems like such a minor fix that I'm wondering what reason there could be for not letting enemy generals lead units.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on June 29, 2011 at 3:07 am

Aha - I checked for anything like this a month ago and no one else had posted anything else. I am now continuing my campaign and it was brought to my attention when capturing a city state in Thebes area it had around 10 generals.

Level 7 Human Senior Business Analyst
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I have no idea, but can it have something to do with the difficulty-level? I mean the generals do add abilities to the troops and at lower difficulties it might make sense to leave the generals out of the game while at harder levels they will be part?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

Difficulty level has nothing to do with it. Hegemony lets you customize a lot of game settings to tweak the game experience but enemy generals is not one of them.