Skip navigation

Big QT3 Write Up

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Big QT3 Write Up
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Hey all-

Just posted a very long write up for the game over at the quarter to three forums http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=64587

Its a great gaming forum where a lot of developers and press hang out.

Jorune

Level 7 Human Heroine
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

"I shouldn’t like Hegemony. It’s got ancient battles (yawn), specifically the Greeks (boooring),"
why? Disconsent
"While simpler than Total War, Hegemony still seems to carry all the nuances of effective combat."
TW has detailed combat animation, but its not simpler doing it without detailed battles. The detailed battles are as simple as doing quick resolving. Just call it battle Animation.Like you would see a battle in real.
"Straight on combat is not the only way to handle warfare. You can conduct raids to starve an enemy before laying siege to his city."
But enemy will go and take them back as long as they got enough troops. So very soon you have to let main troops follow. And are their troops wiped out and hiding inside city and troops from accociated cities also fought down, siege is mandatory for full cash. AI is foolish, not to take back any farms.
"If you honestly feel like this makes the game too easy, simply don’t use it (but I feel it’s balanced enough with the factions demanding more and more as time goes on)."
Game should be easy enough on easy mode(whaddah proggers thinking on that?) and peace negotiation unnecessary. No diplo I wanna anyway. Just taking.
"Like I said, there are so many nice touches to this game that 20+ hours in I am still discovering them."
I dunno why Rick or Rob said you can win in under 20 hours, I think you need over 50 hours for WIN.
"I know Hegemony has its own thread, but that’s really for people who already like the game. I didn’t want this to get lost in that mix. "
You really like having own threads, do you? Same topic is same thread, so as mod I had to merge them. You wont loose anything in da mix, since you would have bumped up the thread so making it actual.

Level 8 Human Student
Posted on May 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

Some formatting would have been nice, Alexandra94. I guess English is not your native language, but even so that was very difficult to read.

I enjoyed your write-up, Jorune, despite the gaffe you made with the Caps Lock. :P

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 3, 2011 at 11:47 am

Hi-

I'm going to do my best here since, as noted, it appears English is your second language (I applaud you for that, I don't know a second), but I think some of what I wrote was lost in translation and vice versa, so forgive me if I didn't understand you fully.

"I shouldn’t like Hegemony. It’s got ancient battles (yawn), specifically the Greeks (boooring),"
why? Disconsent

Why is simply because I do not care for ancient battles, nor Greek history.

"While simpler than Total War, Hegemony still seems to carry all the nuances of effective combat."
TW has detailed combat animation, but its not simpler doing it without detailed battles.

I'll have to disagree with you here. Even if you took away the battle animations from Total War, the battlefields are larger and you need to micro troops a lot more. I almost wonder if you've played the Total War games, because all you have to do is look how both games handle siege's to see a difference.

"Straight on combat is not the only way to handle warfare. You can conduct raids to starve an enemy before laying siege to his city."
But enemy will go and take them back as long as they got enough troops. So very soon you have to let main troops follow. And are their troops wiped out and hiding inside city and troops from accociated cities also fought down, siege is mandatory for full cash. AI is foolish, not to take back any farms.

By constantly raiding them you will reduce their food stockpile until the army is starving. A starving army has low morale and are easily routed. By starving them the AI isn't capable of a counter attack, so it's a way to keep them out of your territory while you campaign elsewhere.

"I know Hegemony has its own thread, but that’s really for people who already like the game. I didn’t want this to get lost in that mix. "
You really like having own threads, do you? Same topic is same thread, so as mod I had to merge them. You wont loose anything in da mix, since you would have bumped up the thread so making it actual.

I'll have to disagree with you there. I was creating a post for people unfamiliar with the Hegemony game. By lumping it in with an old thread, the only people reading it are those ALREADY interested in the game, not new converts. By breaking it out, people who had no interest in the game were lured in (and you'll see people new to the game were in there asking alot of questions).

Game On!

Jorune

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on May 7, 2011 at 4:04 am

Yes, nice initiative, Jorune! :o)

Respect to all who like and love this game, and to all who don't. Facts can be wrong, opinions can't....

Level 7 Human Heroine
Posted on May 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

but fact is, you dont need micromanagement at all if you jus skip realistic battles and do auto resolve
you doubt I played TW? Well thats simply not truue

so facts are facts and opinions are opinions
you dont have any battle animations in there and not a single battlefield then
you only use city management and campaign map movement which can be enough to have funny play and its turnbased without any rts in it
and of course menue handling to put in tax rates and so on

also you cannot starving enemy troops, where do you get that?
they are foolish not taking back any farms and only watchtowers but keep their troops and send them into fight
so as I said you have to lay siege soon so their troops get stuck inside their cities and when they come out you can fight them down and continue siege until city falls

yoo thats true you lure them in lol but as you said only those new to the game but why you dont care about Ancient, that sounds like a riddle

lol you better in english? I know enough of english but obviously you not
what kind of formatting anyway? If its too difficult for you then it must have something with you and entirely not my problem

so facts can be wrong but then it wouldnt be a fact but a lie
and opinions are facts

Level 8 Human Student
Posted on May 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm

By formatting I mean correct use of punctuation, indefinite/definite articles, capital letters, infinitive verbs, phrasal verbs and sentence structure.

No offence meant and I can read what you write, but sometimes it is hard to figure out what point you are trying to make because your language is ambiguous.

Level 7 Human Heroine
Posted on May 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

By formatting I mean correct use of punctuation, indefinite/definite articles, capital letters, infinitive verbs, phrasal verbs and sentence structure.

No offence meant and I can read what you write, but sometimes it is hard to figure out what point you are trying to make because your language is ambiguous.

lol you wannabe language teacher. What if I know? never was ambiguous. Your language use is good at all? No I hate flamer
and don need any teachering in language so consider your opinion as wrong fact=lie

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm

they are foolish not taking back any farms and only watchtowers but keep their troops and send them into fight
so as I said you have to lay siege soon so their troops get stuck inside their cities and when they come out you can fight them down and continue siege until city falls

In the games I have played, you CAN starve out the troops. Just take the farms away. Click on the enemy city and you can watch his food supplies dwindle to zero. When this is done, the computer AI disbands its units in order to get a positive food flow in. Not sure if this is an exploit or not, but I have seen it on many occasion.

Also, for whatever reason, you really seem more interested in arguing than discussing, which is not what I've come here for. I applaud you for knowing a second language, but to act as if your English skills are superior to others really erodes your credibility.

Jorune

Level 7 Human Heroine
Posted on May 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

In the games I have played, you CAN starve out the troops. Just take the farms away. Click on the enemy city and you can watch his food supplies dwindle to zero. When this is done, the computer AI disbands its units in order to get a positive food flow in. Not sure if this is an exploit or not, but I have seen it on many occasion.

Also, for whatever reason, you really seem more interested in arguing than discussing, which is not what I've come here for. I applaud you for knowing a second language, but to act as if your English skills are superior to others really erodes your credibility.

Jorune

nopp, they may disband some troops but never seen them disband all units they have. Never said my english skills are superior to others. You cant read anything and understand anything and discuss anything. In discussions you may argue but only inside certain limits. Im speaking of facts!
Jopp, they may disband them, but in case you siege them, they rebuilds some armys and attacks your sieging units.

Level 7 Human Delivery Man!
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm

nopp, they may disband some troops but never seen them disband all units they have.

Then you don't wait long enough. I use this tactic constantly.
Never said my english skills are superior to others. You cant read anything and understand anything and discuss anything. In discussions you may argue but only inside certain limits. Im speaking of facts!

First of all you may not claim but you act like it is. Second you can state all the facts you want, but when you language usage is bad it makes your argument bad. Its like a painting. No matter how important the subject you paint about, if you use terrible technique then no one cares.

Level 7 Human Heroine
Posted on May 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm

nopp, they may disband some troops but never seen them disband all units they have.

Then you don't wait long enough. I use this tactic constantly.
Never said my english skills are superior to others. You cant read anything and understand anything and discuss anything. In discussions you may argue but only inside certain limits. Im speaking of facts!

First of all you may not claim but you act like it is. Second you can state all the facts you want, but when you language usage is bad it makes your argument bad. Its like a painting. No matter how important the subject you paint about, if you use terrible technique then no one cares.

thats a foolish tactic, you wait until they dont have enough troops? You loose much time and fight not enough to gain any exps. What kind of gameplay is that anyway?
My language usage is not bad at all. Terrible techniques you speak of? Your flaming says how bad you yurself use language and yes I do it much beter than you for sure!
And Im not caring at all about yur troll flaming I had it many times already I dont have to defend myself at all. Im just rectifying it. It doesnt matter who is attacked that way.
And one more to add: We will not meddle with any such kind of people we never did and never will doo. Youre not worth it anyway.

Level 8 Human Student
Posted on May 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm

nopp, they may disband some troops but never seen them disband all units they have. Never said my english skills are superior to others. You cant read anything and understand anything and discuss anything. In discussions you may argue but only inside certain limits. Im speaking of facts!
Jopp, they may disband them, but in case you siege them, they rebuilds some armys and attacks your sieging units.

Are you sure about that?
lol you better in english? I know enough of english but obviously you not

and...

and [I] don need any teachering in language so consider your opinion as wrong fact=lie

And this is what I mean by ambiguity:
You cant read anything and understand anything and discuss anything.

I can't tell if that is meant as an insult to Jorune or something else. I've been willing to believe that you've come across as abrasive because English is not your first language and therefore something is being lost in the translation. However if you are, as you claim, very good at English, then I'll just have to assume that you are being impolite.

On topic (sort of) - that forum is great. I found a modern remake of one of my favourite childhood games on there. :D

Posted on May 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

thats a foolish tactic, you wait until they dont have enough troops? You loose much time and fight not enough to gain any exps. What kind of gameplay is that anyway?

What can I say? I play to win. Style just gets in the way.

Level 7 Human Heroine
Posted on May 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I really suggest you to shut up already and dont tell any nonsense, which are obviously fact that you only sabber and I mean both of you
we all here say that and are upset and angry
but we also laugh about that
you are unrespectful scums
you cannot read, discuss , argue or anything write useful
just spamming, trolling, threatning
thats very very poor and I have some kind of pity for you too and of course hate feelings and some amusement in between them
I never was any kind of superior in anything but if you say sooo
well yeah I feel better than any scums yeees

youre doing everything wrong, not meee
the painting you draw is just laughable trash and no reality at all!!!!! You are criminal scums! Any mod would have gotten a report on harassment!

Posted on May 16, 2011 at 1:19 am

I find this guy funny.
Give me more insults Alexandra94.

Level 7 Human
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 16, 2011 at 2:55 am

Can i request the posting privalge of Alexandra be withdrawn, due principly to their the post content offensive tone and nature, and second, to their inability to comunicate anything of value, for instance not knowing the differnce between factsand opinions, and not knowing game mechanics meerly compounds the errors in his posts.

Post like his,(in authentic gibberish)are not what most are here to read, and contravine most boards rules of conduct.

Level 7 Human Software Engineer
Posted on May 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

First of all, just to get this out of the way sooner rather than later: Adolf Hitler.

Moving on....Ad hominem attacks are not really nessicary. If you disagree about game mechanics you can test them yourselves. If you don't want to take the time to do so then don't take the time to continue posting about it.

The same goes for language use and anything else really. If you have an agreed upon way of measuring goodness, then show that your side has more goodness than the other side. If you don't, then agree upon one. If you don't want to take the time to do that, or you are unable to reach an agreement about what goodness is, then quite talking as you won't be able to have a constructive conversation without one.

Level 8 Human Student
Posted on May 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

If he's a troll, however (and I'm beginning to suspect that he is), then he's a very effective one.

I'm guessing they were born in 1994 and are around 16-17, but most 16-17 year olds understand the difference between opinion and fact. There are so many cases of faulty reasoning in his posts that I'm just going to ignore them now.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:32 am

Okay everyone, please calm down.

With regard to the 20 hour estimate, that's not the average game length: that's the fastest we've heard of somebody beating the game. I think they did it by playing on easy and ignoring all the optional quests. 50-80 is a more average estimate.