Skip navigation

Hegemony - Gold after PoM?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony - Gold after PoM?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hello everyone!

Is it worthwhile and entertaining to try out the Philip scenario in GOLD after having played H:PoM (the original game)?

Admittedly, strategy should be different due to diplomacy and different recruitment pool and other (no generals' villas?), but are objectives all the same?

What is in YOUR view the major improvements of Philip Scenario in Gold vs. H:PoM?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm

The scenario is the same, so I would see no reason to play it again. However, gold offers you two new scenarios to play, The Archidamian War and the Ionian War. In addition there is a sandbox mode where you pick your faction and see what you can do.

jorune

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on April 27, 2011 at 6:11 am

I recommend that you play the Phillip scenario on gold, i´m doing it right now and it´s a major improvement to the original:)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I'm replaying the Macedonia campaign after upgrading to Gold. While the objectives are the same so far, the way I'm accomplishing them is vastly improved. Diplomacy for example has really helped to make the game far less frustrating. With a little spare gold I can maintain a truce with a couple of factions to keep them off my back while I concentrate on the objectives and fighting off other factions. This has made the whole thing far less frustrating as I'm not always losing cities in the north while fighting battles in the south (as an example).

The new rules on recruitment are also making the game more strategic for me. I feel as if I can progress a little faster, and if I'm really good about setting up supply and logitics correctly I can get fresh troops to the front quickly and replenish those veteran units that take losses.

Essentially, the campaign objectives are the same, but it plays much more smoothly and quickly with the changes, enough so that it's almost a whole new game. I haven't even tried eithe rof the two new scenarios or sandbox mode yet, I've been too engrossed in completing the PoM campaign which I was never able to do in the original game.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm

The scenario is the same, so I would see no reason to play it again. However, gold offers you two new scenarios to play, The Archidamian War and the Ionian War. In addition there is a sandbox mode where you pick your faction and see what you can do.

jorune

Consenting, but improvements in Gold need added and you can replay PoM for sure in the Gold version

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Definitely worth another shot. Slainte (Cheers!) got it spot on. I'm enjoying even reading the missions again as they are superbly written for an epic, engrossing experience.