I also recently upgraded to Gold and have been playing it when i find time between work, sleep and more work. To date I am throughly enjoying the game, excellent job to all those involved. In fact, I registered on the site and have participated in the forums to a limited extent which for me is unprecedented. I even made notes...
Being a suggestions topic I thought I would share a few, in no particular order. Sorry if there is some duplication.
To date I am playing a casual game in sandbox mode so my suggestions are based on this particular game.
1. The Year: It would be nice to have the date displayed somewhere on the interface. Especially in the Campaigns (Phillip, Archidamian, Ionian). Perhaps I am simply missing it.
2. Gameplay in sandbox mode is very static with a feeling of you vs the world. None of the other factions are jockeying for position or even interested in expanding thier domain.(Perhaps a function of the Casual Level)
3. The ability to set the food storage levels to 0% or manual imput of food levels.
- In terms of cities, when times are tight I have found my self stripping my base cities of food and transfering it to cities which could potentially rebel. Perhaps not overly kind letting my citizens starve but desparate times call for desparate measures. Perhaps a penatly of zero recruitment growth or negative growth could offset this tactic.
- Forts arnt always in use and as such they dont always need food.
4. Trade Routes: This is purely cosmetic. The establishment of trade routes makes for a very messy landscape. This could be much cleaner.
I believe you can manually control the emplacement of the route by designating its path from point to point. Perhaps manual emplacement can begin to connect to these control points allowing for roads to merge to a common point, which in the case of cities or forts are the gates.
This could also allow the user to carefully plan trade routes and avoid, in certain cases blockades.
Or the code could be revised to do a better job in producing cleaner landscape. I am not a programer so i have no clue as to what amount of work this would entail.
5. Sheep Spawning: I realise this topic is covered two doors down so ill leave it at this but it does not seem to be working.
6. Generals: I have noticed in my casual game that the computer factions never ever use their generals and they sit idly in the cities. Perhaps this is a function of the difficulty I have chosen.
7. Generals: There seems to be too few generals in the sandbox game. Especially if one decides to play a smaller faction. Are there more historical figures to draw upon to enhance this pool? Though, I am sure it is easier to dredge the history books to find Athenian and Spartan generals as it is to find Thracian ones. If a date is established perhaps the apperance and disapperance of generals could coincide with thier known dates achiement. (For example Alcibiades 420BC - 404BC though I cant remember when Alcibiades appeared on the scene during the Pelopponesian War.
8. Diplomacy: Truce's and Alliances do have any set time periods. Truces especially. The ability to negotiate a truce for a particular time period would be extremely useful, possibly at a increasing pay scale. Truces nor Alliances are not indefinte.
9. Cities: The ability to raze a city and conversly build a city in that same spot at a later date. Perhaps at a significant cost for a time period (2 summers for instance).
Other suggestions for future development.
1. Bigger Maps or Different map set in Medditerranian based on scenario
2. Additional Campaigns: (Silician Campaign, The Trojan War, Persian Invasion of 480BC etc.). Though I would lean towards the Silician Invasion by Athens during the lull in the Pelopponesian War and would complete the story line.
3. Governments: The governments of the day appears to have been
Possibly this could be incorporated in some manner.
4. Famous Battles of the time period: A simple set up of famous battles to renact against the computer or perhaps in multiplayer. Maybe a bit beyond what is intended for the game but the structure already exists in the game.
5. Recording segments of the game you are playing.
Ok thats it. Sorry for the longwinded post. Just food for thought.
Oh and one last thing. What is a shrine to Atlantis doing in the middle of a volcanic caldera on Thera? Got a chuckle out of that one.