Skip navigation

Right then, Recruitment!!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Right then, Recruitment!!
Level 8 Human Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 3, 2011 at 6:57 am

Right, I've been meaning to post this for a while. I can't get my head round the recruitment system. I am told I can recruit, say, hoplites, and so I do. However, they take absolutely ages to recruit or sometimes just don't finish.

I've seen people on this forum saying you can disband workers and they will enter the population pool and then be filtered into the recruitment system, but I've tried that and it doesn't seem to be happening.

The only thing I remember seeing in the in-game encyclopedia is that population (and therefore the recruitment pool) gets bigger when migrants turn up, but that they also spawn at fixed locations, meaning of course that if one of those locations is not nearby, then you're not going to get any.

Is there something I am missing.

I do tend to have a tactic of Blitzkrieg at times, and if it fails then I am really knackered because I won't get any more soldiers. In any case, what is the best way to manage the population pool and recruitment?

Level 7 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on April 3, 2011 at 9:57 pm

The reruitment works like this, Heracleum has 20 people. phallangites have 60 so when you start recruiting them in heracleum they will immediatly get the 20 people but after that they will have to wait for the citizens to regenerate. there is usually another citizen evety minute or so, so it ends up as an extra 40 minutes to recruit phallangites in heracleum.

Level 8 Human Paladin
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on April 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm

The rate is somewhat faster dependent on how large the city is, and if I remember correctly, even for smaller cities the rate is quite a lot faster than 1 citizen per minute. Mouse over the recruit pool, and it will display a number (2.5/wk or something). That is how fast recruits are replenishing in that city. A week is about a minute, I think.

But it's a good example. Also pay attention to the population type of each city; Macedonian units disbanded in non-Macedonian cities (and vice versa) will not add to the recruit pool. Migrant points also only work for Macedonian cities, obviously, and can be used anywhere there's a free space in a Macedonian city.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

The recruitment rate can also be increased or decreased in the gameplay settings.

Keep in mind that this setting also affects the AI, so if you turn it up, then you'll be able to recover your lost units very quickly, but so will the AI. So you can be reckless with your units, but if you lose a battle, the AI may recover before your reinforcements arrive. This is similar to how the original Philip of Macedon played, but we thought it had too much of a "treadmill" feeling to it, so by default we balanced the new recruit system to reward you for using your units intelligently rather than recklessly.

You can also turn recruitment off in the gameplay settings, if you're really hard-core, but I wouldn't suggest it :)