Skip navigation

Concept Art Thread

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Concept Art Thread
Level 8 Extraplanar Concept Artist
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hey Everybody!

I joined the team here at Longbow a month and a half ago, so decided to introduce myself! I'll be doing 2d art here, mostly, as well as a smattering of 3d, and I'll be using this thread to post Hegemony related work. I hope you enjoy.

Since Gold was pretty much finished when I got here, I didn't have any work in the original release. However, I've been working on some icons that will be patched in.

In the first image you can see how they'll appear in game, and they are a group of greek fellows as follows (top left to lower right): Lysander, Alcibiades, Demosthenes, Cleon, Archidamus II, Bardylis, and Pagondas. Pericles also has a new icon, but as I only touched up an existing piece for him, he isn't featured here.

I've included larger images for Acrchidamus, Bardylis and Pagondas, as they are my favourites! (Click on the thumbnails to see them larger!)

Enjoy!

Level 9 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm

hi and welcome :)
they all look great, but if i had to pic a fav it would probaly be the second one, the youger guy in white, i'm no artist but i like that one, i think its the shading. anyway i look forwards to seeing them in the game and more besides.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The second guy is Alcibiades, and he's probably my favourite figure from this time period. If you look him up in the in-game manual, I wrote a fairly long article about him, but it's only a taste of the kind of exploits he got up to. He was quite the character!

Level 8 Human Paladin
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Something just strikes me as being off with them. Either the coloring or the proportions or something, I don't really know. The colors seem a bit bright for the game's current colors though.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on March 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Yes, agree: colors may be a bit too bright for Hegemony: PoM and GOLD.

I visited an exhibition in Stockholm lately ("White Lies", or "Gods in Color"), about the ancient marble statues actually having been painted, so maybe something like this, color wise:

http://www.archaeology.org/0801/trenches/colorgods.html

But you have created some really nice art work and images! :o) Impressive.

Please continue along that route. And please do NEVER NEVER glance towards the Civ images, since they are in my view far too cartoonish..

A strategy game should have serious and realistic images, just like the ones that you have created!

The above is just my very personal views, other people may have different ones.

Level 9 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I like the artwork. I can see the inspiration for the Alcibiades portrait comes from the existing bust/statue of him and the stories in Plutarch of his youth. The tilted head, longish hair and half-smirk are dead on. During the time of the game I imagine he would have had a beard though.

Like Rick, I think Alcibiades is one of the most interesting figures of the period. I even wrote an essay on him in the first year of my history degree. :P

It's too bad Pericles isn't alive in the timeframe of the game - there's that classic bust of him you could base a portrait on. Who else could be given a cool portrait?

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hey everyone! It's been a year and a bit since I posted last, and I have a bunch of art to dump - I hope you enjoy it! First off, a couple paintings I did for painting demos at Cons last year! One of the Sacred Band of Thebes (who I adore) and one of an Athenian and a Spartan on a nondescript hillside.

I've also got some stuff for Rome that's been released, but I'll make a new post for that. c:

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Okay here's some stuff for Rome! Two loading screens - The Germans and the Britons, as well as the background I painted for the new website.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

They look excellent! Keep it up!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Where are the late republican legionaries? I see some kind of early imperial legionaries with square scutum and red plumes??? Isn't this game going to be about Julius Caesar and his conquest of Gaul? Then it would be awesome to actually have the roman troops look like the ones who were used to conquer gaul.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on October 25, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Hey Everybody!

I joined the team here at Longbow a month and a half ago, so decided to introduce myself! I'll be doing 2d art here, mostly, as well as a smattering of 3d, and I'll be using this thread to post Hegemony related work. I hope you enjoy.

Since Gold was pretty much finished when I got here, I didn't have any work in the original release. However, I've been working on some icons that will be patched in.

In the first image you can see how they'll appear in game, and they are a group of greek fellows as follows (top left to lower right): Lysander, Alcibiades, Demosthenes, Cleon, Archidamus II, Bardylis, and Pagondas. Pericles also has a new icon, but as I only touched up an existing piece for him, he isn't featured here.

I've included larger images for Acrchidamus, Bardylis and Pagondas, as they are my favourites! (Click on the thumbnails to see them larger!)

Enjoy!

i dont know about anything in the game or what it is but i founded this page by searching for the name "BARDYLLIS" ("BARDH-YLLI" = "White-star" in Albanian language) and i found out in wikipedia that he was an ILLYRIAN king fighting wars against ancient Greece. So I don't know if this is a Greek website (cause all Greeks now says that everything in Europe was Greek) but one thing is for sure, go to school and read history.