Skip navigation

Game Speed Controls

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Game Speed Controls
Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

One thing I would like though would be a slower pace to the combat, so there's more time to use tactics and it 'feels' less 'cartoony' and more realistic. However I wonder if that might slow the game too much since the whole 'world' runs on the same clock.

i once suggested a speed control for the gametime. there are periods of very little activity, especially in winter, when it would be nice to speed up the clock to x2 or x4. perhaps, if that is ever implemented, u could also slow it to x0.5, and conduct battles in a more leisurely and tactical manner, as opposed to the current method of - pause, issue orders, pause, issue orders - repeated constantly.

i dont recall LDA responding to that particular suggestion even tho several ppl expressed interest in the idea.

Edit:
Actually when i first suggested this it was, as it is now, towards the end of a long, unrelated and diverse thread and may have never been seen by LDA so i'll post this now in a seperate thread.

I really think this would be a major enhancement to future games in the series, and would appreciate some indication from LDA that its been read, if possible please :) Also some input from everyone who has an opinion so LDA can see if its something a lot of ppl would like to see.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I would also like to see speed control options similiar to games like EU3/Victoria, etc. At the moment, combat is just too quick.

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on March 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

In general, we try to read all comments and suggestions and appreciate having feedback.

More specifically, we'll take a close look at adding variable game speeds to the next game in the Hegemony series.

Jim

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Many thanks!

Which is the "next game in the Hegemony series", by the way? ;o)

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on March 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

We'll announce it when we've defined the scope and ironed out more of the details.

Jim

Level 9 Human professional ruffian
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 2:10 am

We'll announce it when we've defined the scope and ironed out more of the details.

Jim

Crosses fingers that its rome or even better medieval europe.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 2:21 am

I'm having difficulty picturing which time period would be a good application of this engine. Maybe roman unification of italy? Anything as large as 'medieval' wouldn't fit with the scale of the game I think.

Either way I am very excited to hear what your next release will be about.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

I'd love to be able to slow the game down a bit, though I'd rather not have the troops moving as if in slow motion (i.e. animations stay 'real time' but movement, combat etc. is slowed) -- it would definitely make the battles more engrossing not to have to pause constantly.

As for the next game, personally I'd love to see CAESAR! Similar to Philip, you have a large campaign of conquest and unification (Gaul, then the war vs. the Optimates) tied to the career of one military commander, with plenty of fascinating characters and events (thus, lots of possibilities for missions).

Plus, the expansion to the later date would enable many more unit types (elephants!), while still using most of the units already in Hegemony.

Level 8 Human Cornac
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Crosses fingers that its rome Well, as for Rome, I`d like some sort of "Rise of Rome" game... a new map including Italy, Sicily and Greece, and two campaigns: Roman (conquest of Italy) and Epirote (adventures of King Pyrrhus).

Both campaings seem to match Hegemony`s format (e.g. charismatic hero, small starting territory) more or less correctly, and more - quite a few (if any) PC games concern early Roman history.

Generally speaking, an ideal variant for me would be direct sequel of Hegemony (that is, Wars of the Diadochi). But I understand that this story pitifully isn`t so interesting to gamers` community in common (Roman history seems to be far more popular).

Level 8 Human Heroine
Posted on April 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I would do Rome,medieval Europe or Alexander the Great
Alexander would be sequel to Philip and fits mostfull
or greek expansion in mediterranean sea even before Macedon hegemony time

I don think yu neeed really variable game speeds
I would just run it as it does

Can yu even see any difference in spring, winter, summer?
yu can fight anytime only hav to look if enough food are there and enough men even on multiple fronts
and where are battles too quick?
It would slow the whole game full down if yu would run it slower than standard one speed yu hav
everything would take tooo looong

Level 8 Human Cornac
Posted on April 11, 2011 at 4:00 am

Alexander would be sequel to Philip Alexander is already there. After finishing Philip campaign you can continue the game and solve remaining quests with Alexander as the main character.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Posted on April 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Alexander would be sequel to Philip Alexander is already there. After finishing Philip campaign you can continue the game and solve remaining quests with Alexander as the main character.
how long would take about alltogether? Im into Macedoncampaign 22 hours now

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on April 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm

That depends on your difficulty setting and how many side-quests you're doing. Some people have done it in less time than you've played by focusing entirely on the Hegemony quests, but if you're going for total completion, there's over 80 hours of gameplay there.

Level 2 Human Slacker
Posted on December 8, 2016 at 5:27 am

I don't know if this forum has any rules for whether it's allowed to revive old threads or if it's preferred to start new ones.

Anyway, I am reviving this thread because I'm writing on the same topic although not about Hegemony Gold but Hegemony III. Somewhere above my post, Jim from Longbow Games wrote:

In general, we try to read all comments and suggestions and appreciate having feedback. More specifically, we'll take a close look at adding variable game speeds to the next game in the Hegemony series.

Jim

That was written before Hegemony Rome and we still have no option to change the speed of the game. So I wonder if there's a possibility to mod the speed of the game so everything goes a bit slower and the skirmishes in particular?

I would appreciate if Jim, Rick or someone else from Longbow replied to this post.