Skip navigation

Gold Factions

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Gold Factions
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

Hey guys i just bought Gold, been trying to play sandbox mode but i seem to be having a small problem. I dont like starting out to big, i have tried Sparta, Athens, and Persia just to see how big they started out with. I liked when playing as Macedon since they start out rather small. If i started out to small i get a little overwhelmed trying to figure out everything in my territory and where my armies are and everything. I just want a small country that doesnt get overpower by a country soon, could you guys help me out?

Also, do AI countries fight amongst themselves? Or do they just stay frozen until you border them?

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

Crete is a nice and small faction to begin with. You're fairly secure on your own island and can take your time preparing - although you need to integrate naval operations to expand anywhere. There are also some smaller Greek leagues that have fairly consolidated starting positions. Maybe try the Phoecians (spelling?) as they have strong hoplites to help you as a newer player.

I've seen other factions fight each other in my campaigns, but I'm not sure if this was a coincidental meeting when they were both on their way to me - and I can't confirm if any cities were sacked.

Hope this helps

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

I'd also be curious about this... a small faction that isn't right next to overpowering neighbors would be a great sandox campaign for me...

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Corinth starts out with only 3 cities but control of the isthmus. It also has not-bad relations with its neighbors and enough money to buy alliances and truces. The way I've been playing them, I bought an alliance with the Argolids, which brought me up to 8 cities and ports on both coasts. I also bought a truce with Sparta and started picking off Athenian islands to expand further. I'm still learning this game and I think Corinth was a good first choice.

Level 8 Human Paladin
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm

AI factions will fight if they stumble upon each other, but they don't go actively looking.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Yeah i probably second Kingdom of Crete, They are really fun to play with except for their lack of leadership i.e Generals.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 1:44 am

AI factions will fight if they stumble upon each other, but they don't go actively looking.
Sadly the biggest flaw for sandbox mode. Works great in regards to the missions of the other campaigns but not good for sandbox mode.

Level 8 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I agree with that last statement. I think it's one of those things the team can't really retrofit into the existing engine though.