Skip navigation

Food management

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Food management
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hey. I've been playing gold on easy mode for some hours and am expanding towards the east. But after expanding some of my cities I have become very low on food in the newly captured cities. Meanwhile the area in which I started is filled with food. One city have 20000 food. I have linked all the cities but the food just wont spread out in larger portions. I can just manually move food from city to city, but I would like the proces to be automatic. Any tips?

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

The system takes some getting used to, but it's actually very elegant and simple once it 'clicks' for you. Here are a few tips:

- Cities that have plenty of food probably have their stockpile level set to 75% or 100% -- turn them down to 50% or even 25%, so they'll ship more food out. (Use the up/down arrow buttons on the city info panel.)

- Cities that are on the frontier where you expect to campaign and have a lot of troops, turn their stockpile level up to 75% or 100% so they'll request food from the cities that are shipping it out.

- Upgrade trade routes from your food-rich areas to the food-starved areas so they can transport more food per week, thus keeping up with the increased needs of those frontier cities. (Click on the route, then the up arrow to upgrade it -- note this will cost more money with each upgrade, which is one reason you always want to try and keep a little extra gold income as a backup at all times.) If you get a rebellion caused by a starving city, you can often quell it just by upgrading a trade route to a city with a food surplus.

You need to go carefully over your cities and routes -- the parchment map is great because it will show you where food is piling up, and where it's needed. Spend a few minutes sorting the logistics network out, and also make sure all your farms are connected (it's easy to miss a few in the hectic pace of this game).

Finally... SHEEP! Sheep are worth their weight in gold. Collect them whenever they appear, and send them towards cities that are having food trouble. A flock in the right place at the right time (i.e. late winter or early spring) can mean the difference between a rebellion or a fat, happy city...

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm

All right, thanks.

But apropos sheeps.. Why do they never seem to reappear?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

They do. But make sure you're eating the ones you have by 'unloading' them as you'd unload food from a slave unit. They don't automatically get eaten.

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

cherryfunk gives good advise for Gold but seems to have missed one small but important detail in the OP.. "One city have 20000 food" which clearly means that its vanilla PoM , not Gold, so none of that advice applies.

the best advise i can give you for vanilla PoM, aag147, is to not concentrate your forces in one area. have your available forces split between 2 or 3 armies, and have several frontline expansions occurring at once. grab and hold with first army, then leave the area to recover and build up food, while u grab and hold with 2nd army on a different frontier, then leave that area to recover, while u either have a 3rd army in another area or return to the first army. also use slaves and/or workers and/or triremes to move food around especially into a freshly cocquered area, but dont expect to be able to move all your surplus food (such as the 20k you mentioned) from all over your empire to where u need it. you arent meant to be able to and in Gold those massive stockpiles have been removed. dealing with limited food availablilty is part of the game and imo, part of what makes the game special and sets it apart from the herd.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Ah... that did seem like a huge amount of food!

So my first bit of advice should then be: buy Hegemony Gold!

I picked up the game with the Gold release (read about it on Rock, Paper, Shotgun) and from what I can tell, the improvements to the supply system really make a big difference. I love it, personally -- the best logistical system I've ever seen in an ancients game, or frankly any wargame that I can recall...

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm

well, I downloaded the Gold beta, bought Gold and registrered the game trough the game beta. That way I figured I didnt have to install it again plus I could just continue my campaign.

...But you are telling me, that I'm still playing the beta? damn

*2 minutes later*

Just installed the Gold install.. I got Gold now... Luckily I could just continue my campaign. But yeah the game changed a bit. I dont have 20000 anymore. hehe

Allright then, dont registre the game trough the game beta, I guess.

Level 7 Human Heroine
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

All right, thanks.

But apropos sheeps.. Why do they never seem to reappear?

on the gold beta 1.5.1 rev version we get sheeps reappearing, I sent them to cities in frontiers needing food and it helps,inside these cities unloading the sheeps