Skip navigation

A Very Easy Mode

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A Very Easy Mode
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, it might just be me, but the game is kinda hard - even in easy mode. So I would like to see a very easy mode, where its impossibe to fail (because its that easy).

When I'm playing strategy games I go very casual and I like to feel superior every second of it!
Its just that conquering the whole map seems rather impossible now. Because of the strong oppositions and the fact that the map is freaking gigantic.

Level 8 Human Paladin
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm

The map is actually not that big. It just feels like that at first. Which specific cities are giving you trouble? Where have you expanded to? Can you post a screenshot(s) of your empire?

Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

i'm currently playing Gold on "Expert" with "hardcore" recruitment (u never get recruits back) and "normal" food (low food production) as Athens. ive only ever played on Expert, from original PoM all the way thru the Gold betas, and now Gold, but i'm no expert really, trust me. the other RTS games i play the "experts" make my playing look like that of a 5yo child. even with these settings, which i'm assuming is a hard combination (but need to try them all to know), i dont find it difficult at all if played tacticaly.

Are u talking of vanila or Gold? if Gold what settings do u have? i believe the easist combo would be easy difficulty, normal recruits, high food. but thats debateable id be interested to know what other ppl would believe to be the easiest settings. it may vary depending on play-style.

if you really want walk-in-the-park mode you could always edit the variables in the globals.xnt file. iirc theres variables for hp, defense etc for each unit type. you could buff the stats for your units (copy the original first and rename it orig_globals.xnt then keep it safe) making them pretty much invincible. Onyx knows more about this than me and who knows, if u say "pretty please" he may knock up a revised globals file for u, giving u superunits until u get the feel of the game. then u can revert to the original file and have a go at replaying on "normal" easy.
Companion Cavalry for example:
<brigadeconst brigadetype="companioncavalrybrigade">
<constxpdefeat>1000</constxpdefeat>
<consthitpoints>300</consthitpoints> <!-- hitpoints per unit -->
<constviewrange>12</constviewrange> <!-- view distance in km (is doubled with full initiative) -->
<constmeleedamageperday>200</constmeleedamageperday> <!-- melee damage per day -->
<constmissiledefence>0.4</constmissiledefence>
<constcargocapacityperunit>6</constcargocapacityperunit> <!-- tons of cargo carried per unit (for food or ore) -->
<constrecruitdays>8</constrecruitdays> <!-- number of days to recruit/replace the whole brigade -->
<constrecruitsperman>2</constrecruitsperman> <!-- number recruits needed from their home city to add a man to the unit -->
<constcostperday>0</constcostperday> <!-- cost per day while in a city/fort -->
<constwalkspeed>12</constwalkspeed>
<construnspeed>18</construnspeed>
</brigadeconst>

actually, on a side-note, ive changed the hardcore recruitment to try and make it harder. once i had won a battle all that factions cities had no garrisons and zero recruits. all i had to do was cap them. like taking candy from a baby. ive changed it so a large city gets around 5 recruits a year. giving them chance to build new garrisons if i dont cap them all quickly, sieging even an empty city takes time, especially with very limited troop numbers.
<recruitment level="off">0.001</recruitment>
<recruitment level="normal">0.0275</recruitment>
<recruitment level="high">0.10</recruitment>

Level 8 Human Paladin
Posted on March 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I'd definitely be willing to modify a globals file if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself. Just let me know what you want changed.

Also, be aware that in Gold, the AI uses Macedonian phalangite brigades when it has Macedonian cities under its control. That would be an easy unit to modify, since only Macedonia should have it, but if the aforementioned event occurs, you'll be going up against other super units.

Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

if the aforementioned event occurs, you'll be going up against other super units.

not if you just buff the players unique units like the example u gave, Macedonian phalangite brigades, and the example i gave, companion cavalry, theres also Philips bodyguard, Hepatitus or something ;)

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies.
Im playing the Gold version on easy. Havent changed other parameters.

Well, I dont wont to change the gamecodes, I dont want to cheat :). And its not like Im having big problems with the game; I havent lost any cities (yet), and I do expand gradually.

I'm just afraid the ai suddenly will pull a move with 10+ groups of men and attack smaller and less secure towns. It is kinda scary also to see an enemy base with 10+ enemy units, even though I have managed to beat such a fortified town before. Also the fact that you can get attacked from every angel. It can get crazy.

And yeah I still think the map is big. hehe

I just imagined an easy mode like the one in Age of Mythology, where the ai fx hardly attacks your town. It is extremly easy and boring, when you first are into the game, but its nice for a newcomer.
And I can hardly say Im well integrated in the world of Hegemony, since I dont even know all the game mechanics yet.

Level 8 Human Paladin
Posted on March 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm

if the aforementioned event occurs, you'll be going up against other super units.

not if you just buff the players unique units like the example u gave, Macedonian phalangite brigades, and the example i gave, companion cavalry, theres also Philips bodyguard, Hepatitus or something ;)

Well, for as long as Macedonian cities (ones that are far from the starting point, like Bisaltia or Mydgonia) are in enemy hands, they'll have access to those super phalangite units. Hypaspists is the other one you're looking for. Not quite sure how effective hepatitis would be as a weapon. :P

To avoid getting softer cities getting hit, build walls around most cities (if you can afford it) and garrison with one or two spearmen brigades. Otherwise, expand to strategic chokeholds (like the fort south of Heracleum, or Elimea, or the fort at Python, southwest of Metropolis, or Lamia.) in a region as quickly as possible. Personally, I use my cities as points in a defensive line that take advantage of geography, eventually dismantling the inner rings as your empire expands. This is slightly easier in the more mountainous west.

For example, after going south to Thessaly, take Tricca, Metropolis, the fort at Python, and Lamia, and all the cities in between, and also to the east down to Olizon. Everything any further inland than Pherae, Lamia, Metropolis, and Tricca can be relatively safe without walls so long as you hold those cities. You'll need to keep a few brigades around Pherae, because the Athenians like to land there sometimes, and you'll also want to make sure to hold the fort at Python. You may also want to take Tymphaia to the west of Eordaea and Elimea, because it provides a nice buffer area with mines.