Skip navigation

Unit Counter Textures

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Unit Counter Textures
Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 2, 2011 at 7:28 am

i kept meaning to suggest this in beta but its a purely cosmetic change and there was so many other gameplay changes to discuss i never did. So, while i dont think this change will ever make it into Gold, id like to suggest this for future period games.

Its always felt to me that the plastic textures of the unit markers on the parchment map detracted from the feel of the game, and werent in keeping with the period in question. the parchment map looks great, and figures on it a wooden, stone or maybe pewter (whatever looked best) would, in my opinion, help maintain the atmosphere. You can imagine the nations leaders in a war room in Athens or Sparta placing carved wooden figures representing the armies on a parchment map, but they certainly wouldnt be plastic (a la R.U.S.E.).

Its a tiny detail i know but one i think would go a long way in adding atmosphere.

ive also mailed this into longbow as its something i feel strongly about.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 2, 2011 at 9:16 am

I like this idea very much, however the colouring is important in distinguishing the various factions, one would loose the wooden feel of the pieces if they were coloured, and if not coloured there would be no sense of division between friend and foe.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I really like this op, Kami. Immersion is most important for me and even the way you described the leader manipulating the markers produces an engrossing scene.

I don't necessarily agree with orthodoxyn. I think you can have various colors on the pieces and retain the wooden texture, and/or use a few different colors of the various materials to help diversify - but then again, I'm no artist and maybe its not possible unless on the high model detail setting.

Edit: to expand but not double post

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 3, 2011 at 6:06 am

I am no artist either, in fact I am absolutely terrible at art, however 26 factions would require 26 variations, perhaps instead of not only wood, one could have stone as well?

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on March 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

Yep, that's what I meant. Using as many possible combination of material and color. But even now some factions' colors are very close.

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on March 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm

yeah i'm aware that different factions markers need to be distinguishable from each other. i was very pushed for time when i posted, so i apologise for it being half an idea. as youve discussed they could be in different materials (stone/wood/metal) and different shades (theres lots of different shades could be applied to wood alone), and/or they could have some color, a "painted" base/pedastal, or (though id prefer not this way) perhaps "painted" tunics.
then they would be different for each faction but still look right for the period.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love this idea -- polished wood, metal or semi-precious stone (jade etc.) would still have a 'shiny' look that would stand out on the map, but would fit better I think with the time period than the current plastic look.

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

ive had a reply from LDA by email that i will duplicate here for those who have shown an interest.

Sorry for the delay; I've been away from the office.
Thanks for your feedback. We agree: we were never completely happy with
the look of the miniatures. Unfortunately, there was always more
pressing work that needed to be done. Rest assured, we have already
started experimenting with a new style for our next game.
Cheers,
-Rick-

thnx Rick, hope you see this thread for our further thoughts on the matter and if anyone else has some ideas still post them here and LDA can consider them perhaps. you never know your idea may make into the next game :)

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

You've got to love responsive dev's. This sounds great and hopefully it will help our forum grow when users see the amazing level of feedback Longbow gives.