Skip navigation

TM mini tutorials

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TM mini tutorials
Pages 1 2 3
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 6:51 pm

The thing is, it wasn't just my tanks, I couldn't see some of the downloaded weapons too. What do you do with the object, sound, art,... folders not in entities of addons but still in addons :?:

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 8:23 pm

as brief as possible, with any downloaded mods, all you should have to do is

1- unzip it
2- copy and paste it

if you have to do anything else, then the person who put the mod together did not do it right.

+++++++

when you unzip the download, all you should see is a folder called addons.
then, it is just a matter of copying that folder .... into the folder that contains the file TM.exe

that's pretty much it.

let us know how it goes.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 8:31 pm

Here's how it goes. I originally had it in TankGod (don't know why I put it there). I finally took it out last week and put it in the same folder as the TM.exe file. After I did that, the map wouldn't load, and I couldn't launch my server. I just reinstalled the game and after putting addons in the folder, the problem occured again, and I can't play the game until this is fixed :( :( :(

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 10:58 pm

well, this seems like one of those instances where it would be best to formally uninstall the game, then reinstall it.

if TM works and plays, just fine, with this default installation, both single game (locally) and internet play at LDA's stock server. then this gives a base reference of a known good starting place. [[ side note... install TM from cd... patch it up to v1.6, if needed... only then change the master server address in both the dedicated.cfg and the config.cfg files. ]]

once you have a default installation of TM that works. if you wanted to, you could create 15 different folders on your C: drive
C:\TM01-normal\
C:\TM02-modwacky\
C:\TM14-experiment1\
C:\TM15-dangerous2\
(using any name you like) and copy that default installation of TM into each of the 15 different folders, and you could then run TM from any of those 16 different locations... the default install and the 15 new locations.

if a default install doesn't run, then it's the computer that has problems. if a defualt install works, then it's the mods causing the problem, and if mods are causing the problem, removing or renaming the addons folder should fix it.

let us know how it goes.
toodles,
hamless
:)

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 14, 2005 at 11:09 am

Geez,

the addons folder works just like the main TM folder, only it keeps things nice and organized if you separate them. Art, goes in an art folder, objects go in the objects folder, tanks go in the addons/racetank folder, ect. ect.

I manualy switch the names of addons folders :wink: .
I also unzip mods straight to the TM directory, if the mod is set up correctly the first folder show in the zip is "addons" it should simply add the files into here. :idea:

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 14, 2005 at 8:14 pm

When those mods come with an Addons Folder, you do NOT put them in the Addons Folder when you extract them. I include that sentence with the Installtion Instructions when I put addons in my database.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 14, 2005 at 9:20 pm

I don't do that, I only have one addons file, and there are no addons files within my addons file. Please understand this.

Where do the unmod files created by ENTegrety go?

I think I may know what the problem is. I finally took the time to scan my computer and found 4 spyware files on it. These had somehow corrupted my Treadmarks folder, I believe. I found that these spyware programs had changed one of my mods, thunderstorm. Luckily it changed a number to a letter, and a path to a non-existant folder, and ENTegrety had spotted it.

(2)When I used the scandisk feature of defender Pro, it found that one whole index on my computer somewhere in the 16000s (maybe 1600s, I don't remember which) had been damaged from me having to manually cut off the power to the computer using the power strip. These spywares had caused my computer to stop in the middle of the shutdown process after closing window manager (controls windows, so a warning message couldn't pop up and I could not re-initiate shut down). It was able to repair a few problems in other indexes, but this entire index was corrupted and deleted because it couldn't be repaired. I also deleted a few files from other indexes. This is probably the reason. Maybe spyware had altered or deleted Directx somehow too. Im pretty sure it had something to do with the spyware.

What, if any, indexes are necessary for this game?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 1:19 pm

The most important question is: have you checked to see if Tread Marks works without any mods?

Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by an "index" in this context. Is that something specific to Defender Pro?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 5:29 pm

An index is something in the system folders. It already comes with the computer.

I found it has something to do with the treadmarks folder. When the addons folder is in the entities folder, I can fight with the addons, but can't see them all, but when I put the addons folder into the same folder as TM.exe, the game stops working while it is loading the map.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 5:56 pm

What type of map?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 7:54 pm

Any type of map.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 10:08 pm

Check your Course/StdCheckpoint entity. If that's broken, it will break TM on map load. And make sure you only have 1 entity with that id (StdCheckpont) and that its the one in the main TM dir (not the addons). If TM can't load a proper StdCheckpoint the game can't load the map and freezes. It has to do with some sort of validation when generating maploads. CTF maps experience it if you forget a StdCheckpoint, but since you're seeing it on all maps I'd guess you broke that entity somehow, or made a 2nd one that's broken.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 12:26 am

TM bombs because it uses the stdcheckpoint when the map first loads as the position to put the camera beforethe first spawn. ;)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 3:01 pm

It can? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone want to check over those for me, I don't have the time.

Could entities in the addons folder with the same id cause this problem too :?:

Posted on December 17, 2005 at 3:11 pm

Entities in the addons folder will override the stock entities.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 3:37 pm

Let's say you have two projectiles in the addons folder with the same id. Can this cause a problem?

Posted on December 17, 2005 at 5:08 pm

If the entities have the same class and type, then you can run into problems.

If one of them is in the addons/entities and on is in the stock entity folder, then the one in the addons will take precedence.

If they are both in addons/entities (which shouldn't happen as the entity's type should also be the actual filename by convention), then it will cause problems.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 3:08 pm

I found that two projectiles in the main directory, KMagma2 and MagmaSpew, have the same nameid, 6. Could this be the problem?

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 3:15 pm

NameID is only the name used for display (references a language file), same as Name in custom made weapons. It's the class name that matters, not the ingame name.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 19, 2005 at 9:54 pm

Found the problem. It was my own mods: GravitationalCharger, Thunderstorm, fullpower, explosivetank, and weird dynamite (could someone make me a dynamite mesh) or one of those that did it :( How will I test them if I can't use them :?: Can someone check those for me :?:

My server will be up until I have to turn off the computer.

the mods needed are: Blade of the Betrayer, BigBombModPack, hallsted, holiday, kasplatt, masterweaponpacksso, moddeathbomb, moddreadnoughtcartoon (optional), modnuclearlaser, modorbs, modprototypestealth, tank target's mod pack. I like to use as many weapons as I can. (Finally got to use the alpha nova, missed both times, but the black spots are a nice touch. When does the lag start, didn't experience bad lag until twenty or so seconds after firing.)

See you there
if you dare.

Pages 1 2 3