Skip navigation

Quick question

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Quick question
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

I play this game alot, however am often starting new games out of personal choice to do things differently or various sandbox games, however in Gold what are the list of the one off units? They are my favourite units in the game, and feel like having an elite cadre of forces, that are rewarding when you unlock them, but I would like to know if there are any more other than the ones I list, and if so how do you get them.

Companian Cavalry
Hypatists
The Amphyciton's (probably incorrectly spelt)
Agrarian Peltast's

Level 8 Human Paladin
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on February 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Having just finished my first game and conquering everything. I can confirm that those four units plus the Pella Milita are the only unique units in the game.

That said looking at the code, listed under "special macedonian units" there is a "cretanarcherbrigade" but even after successfully completing every quest and conquering the entire map I was unable to unlock them. Most likely though its just the standard Crete Archers under the wrong heading. The amphictyonic brigade is listed under the general brigade heading but are clearly a unique unit in the game.

There was also a "macedonianarcherbrigade" in the code as well listed under "special macedonian units" and looking at the code from the lastest version of gold it has actually been removed.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

You have conquered the whole map??

I don't know how many of you have, but, respecting the historical chronology, I stopped at the Tessalian campaign. I like to role play and consequentially do not go as fast as I coul. Still, I fiybd this game extremely long and cannot fathom having to conquer all of it! Unfortunately, it becomes too repetitive for me, the AI too predictable. Conquering the whole map would just be a boring chore.

I wish there were more static historical events taking place from year to year and season to season. And I wish the AI unit collection mechanics, the defensive strategic behavior, and the offensive organisational commands would be better. Then I could be more entertained and motivated to continue playing. Taht being said, those are difficult AI problems and not even the Total War franchise can offer much more in those area of AI strategic behavior.

With all of the above being said, I still rate this guy very highly. I would recommend it to any fans of historical or RTS games and feel there are tremendous improvements in the gameplay over the Total War franchise as I have said in another post.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on February 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Cheers for the answer, a personal hope that more one off units will appear, but thats just personal desire, and am happy with what has been delivered so far.