Skip navigation

Problem getting TMMM to work on Win7 Home Premium/x64...

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Problem getting TMMM to work on Win7 Home Premium/x64...
Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Installs fine. On launch, instantly crashes with only the Microsoft "checking for solutions" dialog. This is a weird one, since my copy works fine, so does my fiancée's. Only my stepson is having the issue. Any ideas, anyone?

BTW: Have tried installing .Net Framework 2.0 x64, only to be told it was already installed "as part of the operating system". Weird stuff.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 10:16 pm

You're stepson is probably using a 64 bit OS.

There is a problem with DirectX + .Net + 64 bit that I've been trying to fix. I may just disable the ability to set TM's resolution from within TMMM, which is what is causing the problem.

Posted on January 31, 2011 at 1:18 am

Ooops, I forget my own programs.

There is no Direct X in TMMM, the issue is that you have to run it as administrator ;)

The best fix is to go into the TMModManager folder, and locate the TMModManager.exe file.

- Right click TMModManager.exe and pick "properties"
- Click on the "Compatibility" Tab
- In the "Privilege Level" section, check the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox
- Click Okay.

Thats all :)

Posted on January 31, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You have to run [TMMM] as administrator ;)

The best fix is to go into the TMModManager folder, and locate the TMModManager.exe file.

Here's the whacked-out part, then... I'm running it fine (Win7 Home Premium/x64) and not using Run As Admin. He's TRIED Run As Administrator and it doesn't work even then. First time he installed it, the program launched at the end of install, but he exited it immediately. (oops. Was going to tell him to set the program up, but he exited too quickly.)

Uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling has not helped on his end. I will, however, try setting the EXE to Run As Administrator and see if his machine allows it to run. Can't figure out what's different between his copy and mine. (We've both Toshiba Satellite laptops with the Toshiba OEM Win7 Home Premium/x64)...

Posted on January 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

You can have him try to blow away the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TMModManager

It can't hurt. TMMM will just ask for the info again, that is if Windows 7 doesn't ressurect the reg keys.

Basically, it all boils down to UAC and Windows 7 security. One of you may have disabled the UAC, or maybe the user rights are different between his account and your account, etc.

Windows 7 is a disaster when it comes to dealing with security. :(

Posted on February 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

You can have him try to blow away the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TMModManager

It can't hurt. TMMM will just ask for the info again, that is if Windows 7 doesn't ressurect the reg keys.

Basically, it all boils down to UAC and Windows 7 security. One of you may have disabled the UAC, or maybe the user rights are different between his account and your account, etc.

Windows 7 is a disaster when it comes to dealing with security. :(

Actually, my experience with UAC in Win7 vs. Vista is much better. BTW: Deleting the regkey resolved the issue. For some reason, the Addons folder was set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games" in the regkey I deep-sixed.

It's working fine on his machine now, and without using Run As Admin...