Skip navigation

How to upgrade from Philip of Macedon (Steam) to GOLD?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > How to upgrade from Philip of Macedon (Steam) to GOLD?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hey, I have, as many others I believe, bought the early version of Hegemony trough Steam.
It seems the GOLD version have now been released, so how do we upgrade to this version?
The upgrade should only be 10$ as I recall.
.. and can it be done trough Steam, so the game yet again is registered by Steam?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 8:26 am

You can't upgrade to Gold yet because it hasn't been released. There is a Beta for Gold going on atm but they don't accept anymore testers.

Gold is to be released in early Feb at the earliest.

The developers said that Steam customers would be able to upgrade to Gold when it's released.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

i think making us pay for an upgrade is somewhat cheaky in my view because yes it is only $10 but all of the people that have already brought the game should not have to pay $10 what they should do it add the money to the gold version when it comes out so philip of macedon and the gold version are 2 different games or an add on so poeple that have brought the game before the gold version is released should get it for free and after that they should charge people for the upgrade.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 10:19 am

i think making us pay for an upgrade is somewhat cheaky in my view because yes it is only $10 but all of the people that have already brought the game should not have to pay $10 what they should do it add the money to the gold version when it comes out so philip of macedon and the gold version are 2 different games or an add on so poeple that have brought the game before the gold version is released should get it for free and after that they should charge people for the upgrade.

Commas exist, you know.

And no, $10 is totally acceptable, especially since the game was on sale for the entire holiday period after the free Gold beta offer expired.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 11:32 am

I'm pretty sure that what's happening is that Gold will cost $30 for anyone just buying the game outright. Since PoM cost $20 (assuming you didn't get it on sale for cheaper than that), the $10 upgrade is really just paying the difference. In the end, you will have paid the same amount as anyone who buys the Gold version later on. Personally, I see that as a really good deal.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

10$ is a small fee for an upgrade. 20$ was cheap for the original Hegemony:PoM and that's the most you could have paid for it.

Longbow is an indie developer trying to make it. If you like their product, you shouldn't mind having to pay 30$ for it. I feel their pricing (although it has been confusing at times) is in line with the rest of the gaming market.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Seeing that other Devs are asking 49.99 for most of their products, this game is a steal at $30 (Total).

Quit whining about the price and enjoy the game. It's frickin marvelous and fills my idle thoughts with: "How am I gonna beat the Illyrians ? ...those freakin Athenians are getting on my nerves...and such"

Keep up the good work.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I have to agree that this game is worth every penny especially compared to mainstream games that come out. I would not complain about the price and even with the 10 dollar upgrade only if it is worth it.

Level 8 Human
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 29, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I have paid far more for worse. In its current form it is rather frustrating but the expansion will fix all that. I got about 40 hrs worth out of it before I became too annoyed at some aspects to play it. Compare that as a dollar per hour rate with other games, and it was good value.

3-5 dollars an hour for a video rental. 5-10 dollars an hour for the movies. 20-30 dollars an hour to go for a drive in the country.

2 dollars an hour for PoM, about the same value as I get from the average Total War game.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 3:18 am

all of your points are valid but what i am saying is that Longbow as a show of faith to the people who have already brought the game, they should get an upgrade for free not saying i will not pay the $10 it is just i have recived a email from rick and it said that people who brought the game of steam will be able to upgarde to gold for free and i think that any how has the game should also get the upgrade free not only the people that brought the game from steam.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 3:53 am

edit: double post.

Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

Hegemomy (and in future Hegemony Gold), are worth 10 of most other games on the market. You should be grateful they even exist at all not be bitching about the price.
It may help if u understand that Gold is more of a Hegemony 2, rather than an upgrade or expansion. as a bonus it also includes the origianl PoM campaign but has a whole lot more. to get a discount for being a PoM owner is in itself a gesture of good will. dont ask for even more.

Level 8 Human
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 7:24 pm

i have recived a email from rick and it said that people who brought the game of steam will be able to upgarde to gold for free and i think that any how has the game should also get the upgrade free not only the people that brought the game from steam.I am very surprised to read that. I can not argue against information that only you have, but it was my understanding that any one who already had the game would pay $10 for the upgrade. Anyone else would pay the full retail price as the upgrade also includes the original. My understanding is of a fair and realistic position by Longbow. Your version does seem rather unfair. Are you sure your understanding is correct ?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am also an owner of the Steam version. Please advise how I can register it here to purchase the gold version; where is the registration number?

Many thanks

Richard

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I have figured it out and have successfully registered.

Apologies for my redundant post and congratulations for an absobing game.

Many thanks

Richard

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on February 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I am also an owner of the Steam version. Please advise how I can register it here to purchase the gold version; where is the registration number?

Many thanks

Richard

If I remember correctly - Open your full Steam Platform, go to your library, right click on the name of the game, then select View CD Key. I believe that is the code to register on this site, at least I hope as that is what I did. My Download Centre here now has Hegemony on the top and has a link to d/l 1.15, so I'm assuming the system accepted my registration. Hope this helps.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Brushy, but I found by clicking on 'Register' on the opening screen that it shows the serial number. This was accepted by Longbow as I was able to download the latest version.

Richard