Skip navigation

A little disappointed

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A little disappointed
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 27, 2010 at 3:54 am

For two reasons. After playing the game at my friends house a few months back I had a lot of fun with the game but eventually got sick of the overwhelming/repetitive AI bombardments. I later googled the game and found that there was a very different beta version of the game and thought "neato!" but decided to wait. Today I just noticed the sale for the game on Steam and immediately bought it, but I only bought the game for the beta and now that the beta option is over I feel a little cheated. Money is tight and I don't intend to spend more money on the game (hence the reason I waited for the price to drop). More forewarning or even at least waiting for the Christmas/New Years holidays to be over would have seemed more appropriate. TLDR version - annoyed that Steam doesn't offer refunds

Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 28, 2010 at 8:13 am

as a fellow gamer on a budget i sympathise with you, but at the end of the day LDA is a business not a charity. all the Gold serials cant be given away free.
as for your wish for "more forewarning": i'm not sure where you read of the Beta offer after googling the game, but LDA have stipulated right from day one that the serial beta offer was for a limited time only, and then there was a weeks notice here on their site that the offer was closing.
as i said, i do sympathise, i really do. but a moments research by you before buying the original, would have told you that the beta offer is no longer valid.

there is going to be an as-yet-unspecified upgrade offer from PoM to Gold, and Hegemony: Philip of Macedon is imho a great game in itself and well worth the special offer price on Steam atm. the "constant bombardment" of the AI can be dealt with by your strategy rather than just constantly fighting fires: go and find the source of the attacks and position your boarders at easily defended cities by expanding till you find them. dont over-extend yourself and dont put "all your eggs in once basket", spread your forces around stategicaly.

i do hope you give PoM another go and stick with it, as otherwise youre depriving yourself of many, many hours of great gaming.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:02 am

Please keep in mind that you purchased it for only $10, while Gold is going to retail for $30. We're also probably going to offer an upgrade to Gold for only $10, so you're still going to be saving money in the long run.