Skip navigation

GB-12 observations

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > GB-12 observations
Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 15, 2010 at 1:26 am

Just some feedback:

About a year in to the 'Philip' campaign I have plenty of food and gold - just not enough recruits. The phalangites and Companions seem to suffer worse in combat than in previous versions, so though I keep the usual army for this stage of the game (2x phalangites, Hypaspists, Companions, and misc. supporting units), I'm much weaker because I can't keep the brigades anywhere near full strength. I think I also have fewer supporting units than I usually do at this stage of the game -- some Macedonian cities haven't contributed anything but their own garrison yet.

Athens has been quiet so far. I've had to beat off several multi-brigade attacks on Olooson in the short period I've held it, and the Illyrians and Paeonians have operated at about their usual level of annoyance. Usually I start walking all over them about now, but this time I'm having trouble fielding big enough an army to beat off all the raiders and invaders.

Oh, and I've accumulated about a zillion slaves that I don't have mines for yet.

BTW, I always play on 'normal'.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Both the phalangites and companions have been nerfed a little in gold compared to the original but nothing specifically in beta 12.

Is it just your macedonian cities that are perpetually low on recruits? Do your captured cities still have recruits? Since beta 10 the difficulty settings have very little impact on the game but I was planning on making the regeneration rate for recruits tied to the difficulty so playing on casual would mean you get recruits faster than the AI.

It was only documented in the release notes but as of beta 9 or 10 you can disband slaves into your cities to get back a small number of recruits. Based on our own testing we were planning on making this feature official for the next update.

Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 15, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Is it just your macedonian cities that are perpetually low on recruits? Do your captured cities still have recruits?
It's a bit early to say. Maybe I can play some more this weekend.

BTW, I'm not saying the parameters are out of whack; just reporting what I observed. But it seems as though the battles are bloodier than in 11, though you don't mention changing anything.