Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold: B12 Feedback

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Gold: B12 Feedback
Pages 1 2
Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 17, 2010 at 7:19 am

Anyone else getting a CTD? Mine seems to be locating or placing an actor in the game engine.
Forgive my ignorance, but no idea what this means.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

I'd like to second Kami's suggestion of a game speed control. I haven't had as much time to play the beta as I'd like, but that one definitely stuck with me while I did play; there seemed to be times where there was nothing to do but wait for recruits to pile up, or the winter to end.

Level 8 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I think the suggestion of a FAQ is helpful. There are other posts from other users, perhaps we should find out of one exists. I definitely want to contribute some of the ideas and methods that I've struggled to learn. I've had a lot of time the last few weeks to play and refactor many of my previous concepts about the game.

Anyhow, I ended up running into a game stopping bug that affected all my saves for a good 24 hours of play. Rob @ Longbow just sent me back the fixed save game and salvaged my game. Imagine EA doing that? HAH.

Thank you Rob.

Erik

Level 8 Human Gamer
Posted on December 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm

does any one know how to reduce the hostility with another faction so it is possible to form a alliance as it has not gone down over time.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on December 18, 2010 at 1:40 am

Anyone else getting a CTD? Mine seems to be locating or placing an actor in the game engine.
Forgive my ignorance, but no idea what this means.

hi

CTD = Crash to desktop

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

The number of supply nodes was originally laid out based on historic trade hubs and to provide different concentrations in different areas of the map. We are aware of some of the problems with this system will likely modify it in future projects. As far as gold is concerned, let me know if there's a specific area of the map that's causing trouble and I'll look into what we can do in the meantime.

I've been having problems in most places on the map, trying to make sure that all my cities are linked to each other while also trying to connect to all nearby farms, mines, and forts. Here's my theory: To be able to do this every city minimally needs x+2 supply nodes, where x is the number of nearby farms, mines and forts. There are exceptions such as connecting a mine or farm to a fort then connecting the fort to the city, instead of directly connecting the fort to the city. However in many cities such as Tricca, Lychnidos and Dodona, I can't seem to find enough nodes to do so.

While I agree with Kami's point, that we should not be dumbing down the game and making it any less challenging, I disagree with the sarcastic way he's putting it across, and he had to make an example of my suggestion when I wasn't trying to dumb down the game at all. I was proposing making trades routes cost money to maintain, and for each successive trade route set up in a city to cost more. For example, the first trade route will cost a city 10 gold, the second 30 gold, the third 60 gold, and so on. In this way we can remove the artificial limitations of supply nodes but still retain the challenge of setting up an efficient supply network. Such a system will require not just programming changes but also balancing changes to adjust the amount of gold the player gets, so I don't expect it to be done for Gold.

As a compromise, maybe we could "upgrade" the number of supply nodes a city has (at a cost, of course)?

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on December 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm

i did specificaly apologise for quoting your suggestion, stating since i had just read it it was fresh in my memory.

but you have said yourself

Such a system will require not just programming changes but also balancing changes to adjust the amount of gold the player gets

its these balancing changes that i have objection to. these changes in balance have a domino, or knock-on, effect. changing the balance in one thing affects something else which in turn affects another thing. and you end up with the balance totaly out of whack as it is currently in GB-12.
there is nothing wrong with the game balance in Hegemony: Philip of Macedon. If there was it wouldnt be receiving the praise that it is, and the following that it has. i think it unreasonable for ppl to expect to be able to channel all the surplus food from their entire empire into one area to feed an enormous army. limited food supply is part one of the challenges of the game to be overcome. its a limitation, preventing you from concentrating masses of troops in one area. you can, however have 4 fronts at once expanding in several directions, which is the way i have solved this.
if the amount of food and gold available is out of balance then you can simply overwhelm the AI with numbers instead of fighting tacticaly. this has the effect of reducing the challenge and making it easier, and therefore less fun. it also means that ppl are using larger armies than the game was originaly designed for and we get problems with how the game deals with them in restricted areas such as mountain passes and valleys. comments that we are already seeing for Gold. it just snowballs and we end up with more problems than solutions.
the difficulty of managing supply lines also adds to the replayability. if u didnt get it right the first time u can learn from it and do it differently the next time (something that i have found in playing PoM then Gold then back to PoM). and if u have to leave a farm unconnected here and there because u want to focus on mines for Gold, or vice-versa, is that really the end of the world?
the biggest problem for any army, thoughout history and including the present day, is Logistics. i dont mean any disrespect to you personaly, or your suggestion in particular, there are other suggestions that would have a greater impact than yours. But i'm fighting for the balance (the diffulty) of PoM to be restored to Gold, in which case u need your forces spread around anyway to defend what u have. if your poposal and the others like it are implemented then that will never happen. and we'll have lost a great game.

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on December 19, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I have finally played the Philip campaign to the point where I'm seeing some very large and significant flaws in the new changes to recruiting/population resources.

I also have one major complaint: have you ever tried to march an army with slaves bearing food through "forest"? Dear god, I almost smashed my computer.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 3:30 am

I don't think I have been playing this game as long as others but so far my only problem is the Ai needs to be tweaked to be smarter and I need sounds for when things I am not looking at attack me. I lost Pella to a raid cause i was attacking 3 cities all in different places on the map and was busy. At the very least an option to have the warning show what cities/ units are being attacked without having to hover over it. Besides that the game is solid.

P.S. Oh and a little chop when loading cut scenes but not much.

Level 8 Human being
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm

...I need sounds for when things I am not looking at attack me. I lost Pella to a raid cause i was attacking 3 cities all in different places on the map and was busy...
This happens to me too, where I'll be fighting some MASSIVE battle somewhere, and I'll forget to check the mini-map, and suddenly Corinth has taken the coast of Phokis or Athens the coast of Epirus. One eventually becomes numb to "new enemy sighted" alerts when the enemy is pumping out peltasts in a city I'm trying to siege.

I know how sensitive the devs are about UI clutter, but we either need alert bubbles that hover around the edge of the screen (e.g. Civilization or Company of Heroes) or alerts that only set off when new REGIONS have seen enemy activity. Of course 95% of the time the alerts work wonderfully.

I have finally played the Philip campaign to the point where I'm seeing some very large and significant flaws in the new changes to recruiting/population resources.
I'd like to hear what these flaws are, and so would the developers, I'd imagine :)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I just want to say talking on Kami's point about 4 posts up or so that I agree with him. I have chosen to for go using huge armies of siege engines and troops for a much more flexible army and have only ran out of food for long periods of time maybe twice. This was mainly due to the fact that 3-4 cities I attacked in a row were in the mountains and were only sustaining themselves off of the yearly lambing. Most strikes I make into lands I have no food train at all instead just using farms and cities I capture to restock them. This has worked really well for me since I don't bother with spear men except for garrison troops and all of my main army is phalanx with some horses for raiding tough targets. My army is not only smaller and more flexible but I don't have supply routes to really worry about and food caravans to guard.

If you can't find a way around running out of food then your doing something wrong imo. The only problem with my strategy I can see so far is that it requires all my troops to be from major centers back home cause with fewer units the casualties happen within those few units and not on ones I can throw away.
/2 cents

Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm

...I need sounds for when things I am not looking at attack me. I lost Pella to a raid cause i was attacking 3 cities all in different places on the map and was busy...
This happens to me too, where I'll be fighting some MASSIVE battle somewhere, and I'll forget to check the mini-map, and suddenly Corinth has taken the coast of Phokis or Athens the coast of Epirus. One eventually becomes numb to "new enemy sighted" alerts when the enemy is pumping out peltasts in a city I'm trying to siege.

Even with a small empire I've found it difficult and often more stressful than fun to try to deal with several real-time crises simultaneously. My gut feeling, even before this thread of conversation started, has been that Hegemony's "really real time" simulation is not scalable. For purely gameplay purposes, the designers should (IMO) start thinking about a mechanism for desynchronizing activities so that you can deal with them one at a time.

I'm not thinking a change to the Total War style that separates the battles from the campaign, but maybe they could let you select portions of the map to "freeze" while you deal with one problem, then freeze that zone and let the rest of the map catch up. The choice of what to freeze would let you keep regions unfrozen if you were sending reinforcements from there.

Maybe that won't work, but I encourage the developers to think of something, because I think the need to fight multiple critical battles simultaneously is going to make a lot of people quit playing the game.

The idea of alerts has merit too. It would also be nice if you could give a unit an order with "and then send me an alert" so you'll know it's done.

Pages 1 2