Skip navigation

Last chance for the free beta! New beta for Gold and Philip!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Last chance for the free beta! New beta for Gold and Philip!
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Lots of news today!

First, and most importantly, we're ending the offer for a free upgrade to Hegemony Gold this Sunday, so if you've purchased Philip of Macedon and you would like to get in on the beta, you only have a week left to get your free serial code! Get your serial code here! We do plan to offer an upgrade deal when Gold is released, so if you miss this deal it's not the end of the world, but don't say we didn't warn you!

Today we're also launching a new beta of Hegemony Gold (beta 12) and we're testing a bug fix for the original Philip of Macedon (1.1.4 beta 1). Here's the Gold update and here's the Philip of Macedon update. Try them out and let us know if you find any bugs!

Keep reading for the release notes.

Updates to Philip of Macedon:

* Fixed a crash caused by issuing orders to units in multiple containers. This happens when you assign a quick-selection, move some units in that selection into one building and some into another building, then re-select that group via the quick-select and issue them an order.

Updates to Hegemony Gold:

* The new cutscenes now have voice-overs.
* We're experimenting with showing stacks of resource chips next to each city to indicate how many recruits and how much food each city has. Let us know what you think!
* You can now assign skill points or upgrade/downgrade roads in the asset list.
* Fixed the catapult damage (a bug was causing catapults to do too much damage sometimes).

Level 9 Human Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yay! Great news!

With the PoM update, do we just run that and let it install? Or do we have to put it somewhere? I'm downloading now and I guess when it finishes, if I just run it my question will be answered, but just to make sure.....

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 9:29 pm

It's just a plain old installer, so you install it like you would any other game. No weird patching here.

Level 9 Human Human
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Yes, now I see, it is actually the full game. I wasn't sure. Cheers. All installed and ready to go!

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Grabbed them both thnx everyone, especially for the PoM fix, i'm one happy customer, Rob's my Hero! :D

Level 8 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm

In addition to my comments on the other thread rejecting the new icon ideas, I can state that the icons provide a significant FPS lag when moving the region map around. This is noticeable on my high end gaming box, is probably much worse on a slower box.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 11:38 pm

The stacks of resource chips are something I posted about months ago as an idea to quickly visualize where your resources are. The way they're implemented now is pretty rough as a proof of concept and I'm not surprised there might be some performance impact when you have a lot of cities visible. Depending on feedback we'll likely swap in some more efficient models and an option to turn them on or off in the next build.

Level 8 Human True Nerd
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 4:53 am

i'll give it a try instantly. Hear you later
EDIT: darker coin means recruits available, brighter food, right? I like it! (you gonna change the icon when you decide to keep that, right?)

Level 8 Human Historienne
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 6:58 am

Hello again ;-)
Is-it planned to upgrad Steam version of "H:PoM" and one information update about cost and others caracteristiques linked to the touch "F1"?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

EDIT: darker coin means recruits available, brighter food, right? I like it! (you gonna change the icon when you decide to keep that, right?)

Yep, it's not documented yet but I was trying to match the red and yellow/orange colour of the rollover bars for consistency (unfortunately the way it's shaded right now makes that a little hard).

Is-it planned to upgrad Steam version of "H:PoM"

Yep. Since steam auto-updates we just wanted to test the update first before rolling it out to everyone on steam.

... about cost and others caracteristiques linked to the touch "F1"?

F1 should open the manual with the unit's stats. Is there some other information you're looking for?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm

So, I have my serial for Gold from a few versions back.

How would this upgrade work with the Steam version of Hegemony?

Edit: Ah, just noticed that the talk from post above might also be concerning gold or just patch?

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

So, I have my serial for Gold from a few versions back.

How would this upgrade work with the Steam version of Hegemony?

Edit: Ah, just noticed that the talk from post above might also be concerning gold or just patch?

not sure if youre asking about the Gold or the PoM update.

the Philip of Macedon download is to fix a bug. atm its just beta to make sure its stable.
if u download and run it, it will automatically find the currently installed games installation path no matter where it is, even if its steam and on a different partition or drive, and it will overwrite your current version (unless u choose to manualy install it elsewhere which is an option during installation, in which case it would be a stand-alone game outside steam and at any time u could launch either the 1.1.4 beta version that u downloaded here or the 1.1.3 version downloaded from steam). once 1.1.4 has been deemed "safe" it will be made the version that Steam downloads for all current and future Steam version owners.

the Gold Beta is a stand-alone version of the game meaning u can play either PoM or Gold without either affecting the other. Gold does not interact with Steam in any way. once it has been properly tested and tweaked it will be released for sale to the general public, both on Steam and directly from here, and will completely replace PoM since everything thats in PoM is in Gold plus lots more of course. those of us who have been lucky enough to be around for the special offer Longbow has been running (and which ends in about 1 week) will already have our serial key for the final release for free, in return for us play-testing the Beta.

Hope somewhere in there is the answer to your question :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 14, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I have been gaming for a fairly long time, having started with Avalon Hill and a host of board games and cardboard counters, not counting chess, of course. I have been doing computer wargaming since the beginning, my first computer having a whopping 8 megabits of RAM. State of the art. I have not encountered a gaming franchise that has been as responsive or as responsible to the client base as you have been. It is most refreshing. Thank you for setting what ought to be a standard for the industry. I look forward to future efforts.

Posted on December 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Au fait, comment fait-on pour capturer les navires?

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on December 16, 2010 at 4:03 am

After another very long block of playing, I have two comments:

1. My resource management has become much more reliable. I have broken down my resistance to the idea, but I now do much better and getting food distributed and then use large groups of slave and worker to move the food to destinations. This is generally making my operations run a bit smoother on the campaign.

2. I am no longer resistant to the new top-down resource icons. I quickly became used to them and I think they are largely responsible for my improved management of food. I systematically recruit and move units to regional training hubs as it simplifies process and increases efficiency to send workers in advance to a central hub for breakdown into reinforcements and units.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2010 at 5:22 am

A few comments from me:
1. I really miss the aggressiveness of AI as seen a couple of betas before. The Balkan tribes don’t attack me anymore. You may as well delete the task of defeating 10 tribal cavalry. Not possible anymore. Olosson has NEVER been attacked in my recent game. No more attacks from Epirus. I miss that. Fair enough if that was a conscious decision to alter AI because it was too much for novice players. But on expert it’s just too easy. I don’t have to worry about the unguarded flanks and rear and just focus on where I want to expand.
2. The food and manpower bars/icons slow the game really bad, the mouse operations in particular. I’m experiencing a significant lag when trying to select and click on the right unit in a tense battle. It’s a nice feature but the drawbacks of slower graphics are not worth it in my view. Selectable from menu, similar to click method – yes, 2 thumbs up to that.
3. On the bright side – sieges work great, very well done. I very much like the way the garrison takes loses and that the quick trip outside doesn’t mean you have to build your defences from scratch.
4. I like the fact AI sends workers to mines. Have you considered turning them into slaves when captured inside mines?

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on December 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I've had a very sedate game. So much so that I no longer wish to play. Other than Athenians dropping greek cavalry and peltasts on the coastline whenever I try and raize walls.

Posted on December 20, 2010 at 4:22 am

By the way, how do they make to capture ships?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm

@Daniela

I don't think that you can. You can only sink enemy ships.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 10:10 am

I may be wrong, but there was one time in a previous beta that I managed to 'touch' a ship at the exact moment that an enemy unit had disembarked from it. That may have been pure luck, though :p

Pages 1 2