Skip navigation

Hegemony: Philip of Macedon needs some TLC too

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony: Philip of Macedon needs some TLC too
Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I bought H:PoM 7-10 days ago on Steam, not sure exactly when and it doesnt really matter, but safe to say i'm late arriving at the party and youre all pretty much just talking of H: Gold.
From the first day i bought my copy of the game (after 2 days playing the demo 2-3 times thru) it started crashing when a shortcut group of units (i'll refer to it as an Army) that has been routed and is spread across 2 or more home cities is given a group command to move to a location, especially a city. It never happened in the demo because this particular set of circumstances never arose. Once i bought it and spread out from the starting area it happened regularly, so much so i had to set the autosave to every 5 mins :s I now see the that you have fixed, what appears to be, this same problem in H:Gold beta 11
"* Fixed a crash caused by issuing orders to units in different containers."
Is this now going to be fixed with a patch for PoM? Atm i'm minimising the occurence of this by moving each unit out out of its home city individually before issuing a group/hotkey command to the whole "Army" but i dont always find them all and its a pain in the ass, and in the heat of a large battle involving 2 or more armies i sometimes forget and poof!... i'm suddenly sat looking at my desktop. (incidentally, if one member of a group is unable to comply with an order, for example its routed, it would be better if the ones that can did it anyway instead of an error message stopping the command being executed. something for Gold maybe if it isnt already)

The second thing i wanted to say was, ive read a lot of the threads here and seen so many newer ppl confused when ppl are talking about aspects of the game that they dont have.. those ppl are talking about Gold without specifying it. This section of the forum is clearly called "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" but is used for both PoM and Gold. I'm not ready to discuss Gold yet ive only just bought PoM and am still learning (and enjoying) it. Although I do have Gold installed and my free registration code (thankyou thats great for when i'm ready for it). So can i suggest creating a forum section called "Hegemony: Gold". That way ppl such as myself who are still on PoM can have their area and ppl on test-playing Gold can have their area. it seems a very logical thing to do.

Id like to finish on a positive. H:PoM is an awesome game that i am thoroughly enjoying. Lately ive found myself buying games that have rave reviews, (and usually cost a fortune) and not enjoying them at all. PoM is a real gamers game.. not like the arcade-type crap thats being dressed up with fancy graphics and being marketed as state-of-the-art. Thankyou for restoring my faith and interest in gaming.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm

If you have a saved game just before the rout/crash sequence, email it to rob@longbowgames.com with a description of any clicks, etc. that trigger the crash. That will help a lot.

The discussion is about Gold because Gold will include PoM, plus gameplay fixes/changes, extra content, etc. and will replace PoM when it is released in the new year.

Jim

Level 8 Human Flammable Heretic
Posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm

H:PoM is an awesome game that i am thoroughly enjoying. Lately ive found myself buying games that have rave reviews, (and usually cost a fortune) and not enjoying them at all. PoM is a real gamers game.. not like the arcade-type crap thats being dressed up with fancy graphics and being marketed as state-of-the-art. Thankyou for restoring my faith and interest in gaming.

There are numerous games out there with more "meat" to it, and less arcade, like Hegemony. You just gotta know where to find 'em. ;)

It's these small companies making more complex and interesting games, such as this one, that make PC gaming the ruling champ over consoles in my veteran (a.k.a old-timer's) opinion.

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on December 10, 2010 at 11:24 pm

If you have a saved game just before the rout/crash sequence, email it to rob@longbowgames.com with a description of any clicks, etc. that trigger the crash. That will help a lot.
it didnt happen again since u posted that so i deliberately set up the circumstances to produce a crash. sent the qicksave, memory dump, screenshot of the error mesage and a dxdiag.txt. and i verified that i was able to immediately reproduce the exact same crash from the quicksave with just one click to issue the command. hope it helps.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Thanks Kami for the info. As I mentioned via e-mail the bug as been confirmed as the "multiple containers" bug that was fixed in gold beta 11. Having tested it there I've just finished backporting the fix to Philip and we're going to post a 1.1.4 beta to our site today. If all goes smoothly with the beta we'll probably role out a final version via steam shortly after that.

Level 8 Human Sage
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Thats awesome Rob ty so much. Works a treat.... wonderful. I'm grinning from ear to ear. i'm assuming u made it a beta in case it produces some unforeseen side effects and i'll let u know if i come across any, but first impressions.. i'm delighted :D