Skip navigation

Seeing food levels of groups

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Seeing food levels of groups
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Is there a way to see what the food level of a group of units is? When I select a single unit an info box is available at the bottom of the screen that displays the units morale and how much food is left out of its total carrying capacity. But when a unit that is a member of a group is selected that same info area just shows icons of all the members of the group. I can try to click the portrait or right click it but there is not way to get to that info box that shows its food level. What I end up having to do is to select the unit then give them some random order so they leave the group then reselect them to view their supplies. it would be handy if when you hover your cursor over a unit you could see their food level. Currently when you hover your curser over a unit it shows how much food they consume a week but not how much they currently have.

Level 8 Human being
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm

If you hover over any unit, you can judge the food level of the entire group by looking at the yellow food percentage bar on the tooltip. Units automatically share food between all other adjacent units so they have comparable percentages of food e.g. a unit of Hoplites with no food approaches Hoplites with 100% food, and they'll automatically divide the food evenly so that both units are at 50%. Phalangites with 180/180 food approaching Peltasts with 0/40 food will share the food so that the Phalangites have 147/180 and the Peltasts have 33/30, or roughly 81% each.

This means that large groups of units will each individually have the same percentage of food as long as they're close to eachother.

To take advantage of this, one strategy I've used in prolonged (starve-out) sieges to ensure my sieging units don't starve while in dangerous territory is having a group of 2 or 3 tribal cavalry approach nearly starving friendly units. They'll equalize their food supplies, and the cavalry can go back to a city to pick up more food without fear of being routed by stray peltasts or cavalry like workers or slaves would.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Thanks I'll look for that percentage the next time I am playing I don't know how I missed it.