Skip navigation

Updated RSS Feeds

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Updated RSS Feeds
Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 25, 2005 at 7:36 pm

A minor update has been made to the RSS feeds available here at LDA. We now offer an RSS feed specifically for the news, as well as a feed for the forums and one for each of the individual forums (check the individual forums for each of those).

New to RSS feeds? Here's a nice primer. Here at the office we use Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox to keep up on our RSS feeds.

Level 16 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 25, 2005 at 7:45 pm

I've never seen a forum use RSS feeds before. Seems a bit much to me.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on July 25, 2005 at 7:47 pm

yeah... um... this is... odd.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on July 25, 2005 at 7:54 pm

I'm fine with it... but can we just leave the buttons to a hyperlink? The buttons give the forum bad karma...

BTW, use Sage (Firefox Extension) found http://sage.mozdev.org/ , it's a good RSS/Atom Aggregator, and I use it all the time... :mrgreen:

Posted on July 26, 2005 at 11:40 am

Heh, bad karma, or bad feng-shui?

It did look a little odd when I came to the forums this morning. I've left the RSS links at the bottom of the forums index page and at the bottom of the news page, but the individual forum feeds are links now.

Although, it does kind of ruin the screen shot I used for the news post...

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on July 26, 2005 at 12:04 pm

No problem now, the feng-shui is restored... ahhh... the computer is in balance now... *monitor tips over and falls*... um... I mean't balance as in hapiness... my monitor is still gravity challenged, as am I... *jujaga tips over and falls on ground*... ouch... :mrgreen:

Posted on July 26, 2005 at 12:15 pm

Of course, if everyone had Firefox I could just get rid of all the links and let people click on the little satellite buttons in the lower-right corner.

Ah well, in a perfect world...

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 3, 2005 at 9:32 am

I don't get this...

I use Firefox. What next?

Posted on August 3, 2005 at 11:35 am

In Firefox you should see a little icon in the lower-right hand corner of your window on the news page, the forums index page, and each forum page. You can click on it and it brings up an option that says "Subscribe to <something>". This lets you make what Firefox calls "Live Bookmarks", which is basically a folder of bookmarks to all the new news items or forum posts.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 4, 2005 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, I made it!

Will the live bookmark add a new bookmark to the list when there's a new forum thread posted?

Posted on August 4, 2005 at 1:01 pm

The forum feeds will add a new bookmark every time a new post is made (it shows you the last 15 posts, if I recall).

The news feed (I'm talking about the one on the front page of the site, not on the news forum) acts a little bit differently, in that it only tells you about new news posts, and not the replies.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 6:10 am

I don't see the point with RSS Feeds...

Posted on August 15, 2005 at 12:51 pm

For most people it's most useful for the news posts. I also enjoy it in Thunderbird for the entire forums because I just hit N to go through all the new posts.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 3:18 pm

K. :)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 5:31 pm

Well, my experience with Thunderbird is that it drops lots of RSS news items, though my usage had been entirely connected with Wikis.

Posted on August 16, 2005 at 7:47 pm

Well, by default Thunderbird only checks for updates every 100 minutes, and most RSS feeds only show you the last X number of items, so if the feed starts dropping items before Thunderbird has a chance to check for them, then it will lose some. (The solution, or course, is to tell Thunderbird to check more often; assuming you always keep it open.)

My biggest gripe with Thunderbird's RSS support is that it doesn't have a "New RSS item" notifier yet, so I only see the new items when I have it maximized.