Skip navigation

forest effects

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > forest effects
Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

I finally expanded into some forested regions, and I see that units - even slaves - get a 'tree' icon above their head when moving through a forest.

Are modifications to movement and/or combat in effect when the icon is showing?

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 3:10 am

I finally expanded into some forested regions, and I see that units - even slaves - get a 'tree' icon above their head when moving through a forest.

Are modifications to movement and/or combat in effect when the icon is showing?

The mouseover says that the viewing range is decreased. Zoom out to confirm it. I know of no other effects though.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 7:37 am

Forest cover should also reduce the effect of ranged fire.

At one point in development we had forests slow units down, but realized that with such a big map, slowing units down was too much of a penalty, so we scrapped the movement penalty.

Jim

Level 8 Human being
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm

If you take a cue from most other wargaming, densely packed troops like hoplites and phalangites should suffer penalties in combat, as should cavalry. I would think, if you wanted to go crazy, you'd give troops a foraging bonus for camping in the woods too! Peltasts and levy spearmen should be at home fighting in the woods, whereas cavalry and heavy infantry should want to avoid it at all costs. Lightly armed men can pick on the scattered formation of the cavalry and infantry, and retreat nimbly when the enemy regroups.