Skip navigation

GB-10 Phalangite combat ratings

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > GB-10 Phalangite combat ratings
Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 2:41 am

I just noticed that Phalangites, which are described as "unstoppable", have a melee attack/defense of 80/150, vs. 150/100 for vanilla Hoplites. Is that correct? Even if it's per capita, the Hoplites are very substantially stronger on the attack.

I just fired up TOG, and see that Phalangites there were 160/75, with no change in the Hoplites. Maybe someone meant to change them to 150/80, and got the numbers reversed?

Level 8 Human Perruptor
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:06 am

Also, the Hypaspists now march as fast as the phalangites rather than elite hoplites.

(Convenient: I get tired of waiting for the wankers to show up. But I doubt that this was an intended change.)

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 9:37 pm

That defense is very important. The role of the Phalagites in philiponian and alexandrian warfare was as the anvil. A line to hold the enemy. Used with the hammer (i.e. cavalry) they smash the enemy between them and rout them. The phalanx was meant to hold long enough to do that rather than wipe out the enemy single handed.

Having said that, they still seem to win most fights one-on-one anyway. Maybe the long pikes make a difference?

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I knew historically the macedonians used longer pikes and cavalry charges; which is why I am curious why the campanion cavalry is their only real mounted unit, and only one of them. The scout cavalry is too small to really be used for charges.

Level 9 Human Contractor
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I knew historically the macedonians used longer pikes and cavalry charges; which is why I am curious why the campanion cavalry is their only real mounted unit, and only one of them. The scout cavalry is too small to really be used for charges.

Thessalian Allied (Larissa, Tricca, etc) cavalry is really good. 20 per unit with 4/2/3/1 stats and melee att. 125 def. 150

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 4, 2010 at 12:43 am

Yeah but the problem is that you can only get those cavalary from the one city Osoloo (spelled something like that). After that there are no more allied Thessalian cities you capture, at least that ive seen. That makes it very difficult to add cavalry to most fights because you only have that one city's recruits.

Level 9 Human Contractor
Posted on December 4, 2010 at 4:25 am

Yeah but the problem is that you can only get those cavalary from the one city Osoloo (spelled something like that). After that there are no more allied Thessalian cities you capture, at least that ive seen. That makes it very difficult to add cavalry to most fights because you only have that one city's recruits.

Both Larissa and Tricca can recruit them and they both have large recruit pool.