Skip navigation

supply line

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > supply line
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on November 29, 2010 at 6:48 pm

iff a supply line crosses another supply line does it create a crossroads connecting all 4 cities to each other?

Level 9 Human Contractor
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

iff a supply line crosses another supply line does it create a crossroads connecting all 4 cities to each other?

Don't thinks so. They are all A to B kind of roads.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 9:54 am

Thanks I experimented a bit and realized that as well. At first I thought it was an easy game but now I am finding that coordinating supplies and the constant raids on my ungaurded borders is making it very challenging.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

If on GOLD BETA - use truces, if on the normal one, extend to unexposed areas and bottlenecks such as Fort at the Iron Gates (north of Pella)

Level 9 Human Contractor
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm

While playing GB-10 I managed to outrun my supplies while pushing in to Dalmacia and further north to Danube. I got caught in the middle of my campaign with winter rolling on and captured cities with low supplies. The fact that it takes some time to build roads to bring in the supplies cost me Autariate, which rebelled after being short on food for too long. I still pushed north towards Skordisci and Amantiny but was forced in to a retreat south due to lack of food and being cut off from recruits for my troops. In general I find the northern campaigns to be quite straining to say the least. It is so easy to outstrip your supplies with large armies. I like it =)

Level 8 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Some basic principles I'm needed to learn and employ to be successful:

You must move reinforcements to central hubs for recruiting and resupply. You must then also move food and supplies from central locations to outlying outposts. This must all be done manually currently. It CAN be done manually. It isn't much fun and is total busy work that can quickly get out of hand in conjunction with fighting, attacks and normal "forward" movement operations. Adding on top of that the amount of "maintenance" and I think we're seeing a distraction from the original core "Philip" gameplay that I loved; simple abstraction of more complex requirements.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I think what I did wrong in my game is that I employed too many mercenaries. I expanded wwest first and took out most of the southern illyrian states and then took over epirus. I maintained my momentum by taking a mercenary hoplite company from each city instead of waiting to bring up native phalangites.

Now I am campaigning north up to dalmatica and the rest of the northen illyran cities and I have no money left with maintaining patrols in the south and east and an army in the north. If I had more I could upgrade my supply lines but as it stands my army is being routed in the north because the cities up there cannot support my starving soldiers.

My new plan willbe to try and keep what I have now and replenish my losses. Then try to take over some cities that can give me cheaper macedonian or allied soldiers and disband my expensive illyran and epirus mercanaries.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 9:33 pm

My new plan willbe to try and keep what I have now and replenish my losses. Then try to take over some cities that can give me cheaper macedonian or allied soldiers and disband my expensive illyran and epirus mercanaries.

Good idea, disbanding those mercs and using Phalangites as your core army is a good move. If the Hyspatists are in another area then keeping a single unit of Hoplites is a good idea for seiges because Phalagites are weak to arrows on the walls.

Also, in time when you have the manpower it can be worthwhile to replace your garrisons with home troops. Mercenary spearmen cost twice as much as allied or macedonian spearmen. Manpower is of course a big issue but then it always was.

Level 9 Human Contractor
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Also one other thing to keep in mind. After you conquer a city and move your units in to it all the troops and city food supplies are pooled together. As the units leave the city they take maximum food they can carry which basically leaves the city with 0 food and in midst of rebellion. I'm considering not even moving any of my campaign troops in to the cities anymore due to this issue. It gets even worse if you get stuck in a city in winter. They deplete and outstrip the supply of food. This is where high logistics skill comes in handy.