Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold Beta 10 Now Available!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold Beta 10 Now Available!
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 26, 2010 at 10:55 pm

We've just released beta 10 of Hegemony Gold, so download it now! Remember, if bought Philip of Macedon and you don't have a serial code for Gold, you can apply for a free serial code here.

In this release, we've added new cutscenes to the new campaigns (voice overs to come later) and Rob's been spending the last couple of weeks improving the AI, so you'll notice the AI reacting more intelligently in a number of situations.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

To clarify a few undocumented features that we're testing in this version:

- Sheep are no longer automatically converted to food when they're moved into cities or forts. This should make it much easier to guard them and to load them onto ships. If you do want to convert them to food, select them inside the city and click 'Unload Food' in the command panel. To get a similar behaviour as before you can also select a flock of sheep in the field and hold the right mouse button over a city or fort and select 'Unload Food' from the command wheel. This will cause the sheep to walk to the city and automatically convert to food like they did before.

- Slaves can now be disbanded into any city and roughly 25% of them will be converted into recruits. There was mixed opinions on this idea in the forums but it was relatively easy to add as a solution to extra slaves so I figured we'd try it out. AS a warning, if we find it does imbalance things too much it might not stay.

Posted on November 27, 2010 at 12:37 am

Some further comments about difficulty:

The changes to the AI in the latest version undo some of the limits set by the old difficulty system so those playing on casual might find it a little bit tougher. I do have some ideas on how to update the difficulty system to work with the changes but I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. In general I expect people will find the AI a little quieter as I've been trying to make it more selective about what attacks it makes.

Level 8 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 27, 2010 at 1:25 am

I'm happy to offer voice-over place holders.

Six pack a day smoker on top of being a 70 year old check out girl.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 27, 2010 at 10:49 am

I noticed that at least peltast units are much much stronger. 2 units of those absolutely decimated a full brigade of hoplites when I tried chasing them down. I can't decide if it's a good thing or not though. Anywho, more will come as I play.

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on November 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yes, started a new game and I always place two Peltasts with each heavy infantry unit. Before the first Hoplite brigade reached my first rank of spear, the peltasts had dropped their number from 40 to 34. Nice. Peltasts have been too weak, entirely, in the four versions of the game I've played. To the point where I felt they were nothing more than a morale boost or a small damage increase to the heavy infantry. Now it appears they may have (too much perhaps) value as dps units. More to come.

Level 8 Human True Nerd
Posted on November 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm

i like the idea of te peltasts being finally useful, i always expanded to the tribes in the Philip campaign or now to Persia with the Spartans just to have archers behind the battle line. Have you changed something about the hoplites being attacked by city ballistas? In the last release they were almost invulnerable, now my spartans die with one single bolt of a medium town...

Level 8 Human True Nerd
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 12:41 am

after some playing i must say units now are far too vulnerable to missile attacks, and i dont think this is supposed to be this way. For example a peltast lasts longer when attacked by other ranged units then a hoplite, even the elite hoplites like Theban or Spartan, although they have much higher missile defence ratings. And now every unit with exception of cavalry is killed by the town catapults with 1 blow, which makes it impossible for the AI to siege since it doesn't use catapults.
EDIT: its no fun anymore, hoplites die like flies. Im gonna return playing Philip until the next release. Cheerio!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I think its a good idea to make range unit useful, but now they are just overpowered and all you do is chasing peltast unit around and ignoring hoplite brigade because they do nothing compare to peltast. Ballista tower are a little too strong i think. In the ionian war you dont have siege weapon and you have to lose so many man for each city you attack

For the AI, its good that they come out and give a fight, but they seem to run out of recruit real fast with the current system. The recruit pool for each city is great, but it doesnt work with the aggressive ai, maybe they should get a much higher regeneration rate than human player, because they wont use slave to reinforce and make worker band for stocking population

Level 8 Human True Nerd
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I think its a good idea to make range unit useful, but now they are just overpowered and all you do is chasing peltast unit around and ignoring hoplite brigade because they do nothing compare to peltast. Ballista tower are a little too strong i think. In the ionian war you dont have siege weapon and you have to lose so many man for each city you attack

For the AI, its good that they come out and give a fight, but they seem to run out of recruit real fast with the current system. The recruit pool for each city is great, but it doesnt work with the aggressive ai, maybe they should get a much higher regeneration rate than human player, because they wont use slave to reinforce and make worker band for stocking population

That's exactly my point too. By the way, i've come to think that it could be a bug. That the game now ignores missile defense on units. I'm saying this because i found out that every unit (including the Phalangites) in sandbox mode and the hoplites in the first chapter of the Peloponnesian War (excepting the Messenians) are killed by one bolt, while the Phalangites last longer against town defense in the Philip campaign.

Posted on November 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Sorry guys. When looking into it further you are correct that there is a bug that's reducing missile defense (a misplaced decimal point). Our lead tester has been off this week and in the small sections I've been playing I misinterpreted the improved missile damage to a couple changes that were intentional. Notably, peltasts now concentrate their fire more in order to make the damage they're doing more noticeable, cavalry now have noticeably lower missile defense when they're stationary to better reflect that they were not siege units and give light infantry a chance if they survive the cavalry charge and i've significantly lowered the missile defense of the cavalry scouts to keep them more inline with other light cavalry.

We'll roll out a patch probably late tomorrow that will fix the missile defense bug and will also include a fix for the 'index exceeds number of entrances' bug that people have reported both in gold and the original philip.

Thanks everyone for catching this and sorry again for the confusion. Hopefully once we've got everything as intended it will still address things for those of you who thought the peltasts needed to be beefed up while not changing the overall play as significantly.

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on November 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I have a few notes I've sent off:

1. Athenian Triremes land and never disembark their troops if more than 2 ships. Or later in the game they send 5 to Macedon and 5 more near Phocis and never disembark.

2. Food is running really very short. More so than I've seen in five builds. I'm playing the same way, but consumption seems much higher and managing food along with what appear to be unknown (to me) changes with sheep, I can't keep my people or army well fed.

3. Stacking of units and cluster of units is causing a real problem. Seems that the AI formation management is also a bit more difficult to keep in check. I've been trying to do complex saved formations and the end result when I re-use the hotkey is very ugly.

4. The obvious missile defence rating issue (hasn't bothered me in a while... I've thoroughly stomped my opponents in the field). I'm going to restart the PoM campaign again from scratch with the new build, so very eager to start testing.

5. Oh yes, Sheep stop spawning. I don't know why. Perhaps I claimed too many and put them in cities, where they were well cared for and never eaten. They became so lazy they never actually had more... Moving them to cities started to treat them like units.

6. Slaves and full workers, even merecenaries sometimes have recruiting icons and status flags on them when camped in cities. No idea why.

Please let us know if you'd like specific test cases examined.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 30, 2010 at 2:46 am

I'm curious about why sheep are not respawning. Is it because if a flock is already tied to its home that no more will spawn there, which would mean that if people are storing them uneaten in a city then there will be no more sheep?

Would that be "duh, problem solved"?

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on November 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Would that be "duh, problem solved"?

Probably closer to "baaaah, problem solved!".

Level 8 Human CEO
Posted on November 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Just had another city in enemy/unknown territory 'Mygdonia' revert to my control. Happens a few times in the lands east of Pella. Usually because the AI from the northern tribes sack one of the enemies cities, don't garrison it adequately and appears to be returning to "Macedon" faction even though it was under control of someone else.

Erik

Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Just had another city in enemy/unknown territory 'Mygdonia' revert to my control. Happens a few times in the lands east of Pella. Usually because the AI from the northern tribes sack one of the enemies cities, don't garrison it adequately and appears to be returning to "Macedon" faction even though it was under control of someone else.

Erik

It lists Mygdonia as a native Macedonian city under foreign control, so perhaps a revolt there is not unnatural.

FWIW, it also came over for me at the very beginning of my most recent GB-10 game. Maybe it's too prone to revolting.

Level 8 Human Perruptor
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm

A couple of minor bugs in GB-10:

a) A few times I've seen a unit in its home city without the home-city icon overlay. If I move it out and then back in, it picks up the icon.

b) Similarly, I've seen cities with a garrison show 0/x for their garrison size. Moving them out and back in sets the correct value.

I'm not sure, but it's possible that I've only seen this with units who started the game in that city.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 6:58 am

I've noticed the AI attacks are much less common then even in B9. I normally capture the cities southwest of Agrianes, keep the walls, stock food and wait for Balkan Tribe to attack to get past 10 killed cavalry in order to get The Agrianians.
But in B10 I only had one initial attack and then for the next couple of years nothing. I’m playing on expert.
Also I had zero attacks on a city northwest of Lychnidos while in B9 it was besieged most of the year, every year.
On the other hand, the AI is keen to send attacks against forts very much. Those east of Larissa and west of Stropsko must have killed hundreds units so far (partly because of the bug but still).

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

Some thoughts:

1. I've turned up the difficulty, so no idea about the new AI yet - generally seems a little better at responding to attacks, particularly naval ones. Haven't seen too many attacks recently, but then I've closed off most of my borders, and the central Odrysians are attacking pretty resolutely.
2. @ the missile damage increase - playing Philip campaign, where the values seem to be in order, I like the modestly increased effectiveness. Now seems increasingly worthwhile to take the time to transport tribal javelineers to my Peloponnesian campaign.
3. The rebellion risks being marked on the zoomed-out-map is hugely helpful.

Posted on December 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm

First off, sorry I haven't gotten an update out yet. We're still missing a few people in the office this week and we're in a crunch to lock down documented features this week in order to meet a deadline. I've been experimenting with a few changes

1. Athenian Triremes land and never disembark their troops if more than 2 ships. Or later in the game they send 5 to Macedon and 5 more near Phocis and never disembark.

I believe that bug has actually been there since I added the auto-landing code in beta 9 but is probably more apparent in 10 as I added a lot more raiding options for the AI. I'm currently trying to get this fixed for the 11 update.

2. Food is running really very short. More so than I've seen in five builds. I'm playing the same way, but consumption seems much higher and managing food along with what appear to be unknown (to me) changes with sheep, I can't keep my people or army well fed.

Strange, I can't think of any changes besides the sheep that would affect this but I'll take a look.

5. Oh yes, Sheep stop spawning.

There has actually always been a cap on the number of sheep spawned on the map but it's become more obvious now that it's easier to stockpile them. I still need to update the AI to handle the change in sheep which should make the issue less noticeable.

6. Slaves and full workers, even merecenaries sometimes have recruiting icons and status flags on them when camped in cities. No idea why.

Missing or incorrect status icons has been a bit of an ongoing bug and I will hopefully get to this shortly.

Pages 1 2