Skip navigation

Ip adressing and port issues with the master server

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Ip adressing and port issues with the master server
Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 25, 2010 at 6:25 am

well to start, i've been trying to pinpoint a EXTREMELY ANNOYING problem

it seems that every time i run a dedicated server, it is displayed in the list of dedicated servers but shows zero ping

AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO, it won't ever be connectible for other uses to play

the reason i believe its not my end having this problem is due to the fact that the master server generates a route to MY ip address, and everything so far points to the route being invalid

If you connect to my server's ip address

(NOT THE MASTER ROUTE IP)

(so far) it works fine, though to be more sure i need somebody to help me verify the problem

because this is a support type of question i have not much choice of posting anywhere else but here only

since not many former TM gamers check this section and due to LDA Games focusing on hegemony,

it makes this issue all the more frustrating and difficult for me.

i ask anyone to at least help me with verifying that they can at least connect to my server directly using my ip address without clicking the connect button on the master server or in other terms

NOT USING ANY possible broken routes to my server.

thank you, and have a great happy thanksgiving day :)

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 3, 2010 at 12:59 am

sorry for not trying to answer this until now,
real life has been very busy for me. but...

one thing to check is to make sure that...
on your home router, you forward, by ip address, at least 3 ports to your TM server
ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499

if you indeed have port forwarding on your home router to your TM server,
then i am not sure what else to suggest.

a long long time ago, i had an odd problem with a computer that i wanted to use
as a TM server. the network card was integrated on the motherboard. i had no problems
browsing my LAN or the internet, but as a TM server, (with all settings double checked)
it gave me zero ping with weird port numbers in the 60,000 range.
sitting right next to that computer was a spare one, whose network card was an add on
PCI card. i configured the spare one the same as the troubled one, and lo and behold,
i had normal pings and the expected port numbers.

why? beats me, but since then, i have made sure that my TM server has a PCI network card
in it, and i have not had any problems. i did not investigate the matter at all, since
i had a viable "work around / solution"

so if your TM server has an integrated NIC on the motherboard, go out and buy a cheap
$10 NIC add on card, stick it in your computer and see if that makes a difference.

otherwise, good luck with it. years ago, there were various forum postings along these
very same lines concerning zero ping, but i don't recall any one coming up with a solution to it.

harmless
:)

Posted on December 3, 2010 at 11:49 pm

on your home router, you forward, by ip address, at least 3 ports to your TM server
ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499

as a TM server. the network card was integrated on the motherboard. i had no problems
browsing my LAN or the internet, but as a TM server, (with all settings double checked)
sitting right next to that computer was a spare one, whose network card was an add on
PCI card. i configured the spare one the same as the troubled one, and lo and behold,

why? beats me, but since then, i have made sure that my TM server has a PCI network card
in it, and i have not had any problems. i did not investigate the matter at all, since

so if your TM server has an integrated NIC on the motherboard, go out and buy a cheap
$10 NIC add on card, stick it in your computer and see if that makes a difference.

otherwise, good luck with it. years ago, there were various forum postings along these
very same lines concerning zero ping, but i don't recall any one coming up with a solution to it.

harmless

thank you for the help and i understand as i've been in the same situation many many times, indeed my router is port forwarded, but the stage error you have is the same for me!

whats so strange about this problem is that i didn't have it till i upgraded my router

knowing this is very helpful

i do in fact have a pci card but its wireless and my integrated is a gigabip connection so wireless is the least wanted connection for a powerful few servers

knowing this I'll add a new nic card as i at least have a few 100mb cards laying around to test

I'll try that and I'll see if it works, since the situation is so similar this will most likely fix the problem

Posted on December 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm

ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499

harmless

thank you for the help and i understand as i've been in the same situation many many times, indeed my router is port forwarded, but the stage error you have is the same for me!

whats so strange about this problem is that i didn't have it till i upgraded my router

knowing this is very helpful

i do in fact have a pci card but its wireless and my integrated is a gigabip connection so wireless is the least wanted connection for a powerful few servers

knowing this I'll add a new nic card as i at least have a few 100mb cards laying around to test

I'll try that and I'll see if it works, since the situation is so similar this will most likely fix the problem

i tested this with my wireless pci card and it failed

so far i have tested othr games like world of warcraft and all work with my router

Only tm is having this issue, and only the master server does

now that i've tested this extensively enough, its safe to say the MASTER SERVER IS THE PROBLEM

i wish rick would take a quick break here and check his master server!

so since he hasn't posted here yet i'll be sending him a important message to support about this because its not my fault, and i need this error resolved as quick as possible for Christmas

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I tried your config file, and it works perfectly fine for me. Can you leave your server running for a while so I can test a few things? Oh, and if your IP address has changed, let me know.

Posted on December 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I tried your config file, and it works perfectly fine for me. Can you leave your server running for a while so I can test a few things? Oh, and if your IP address has changed, let me know.

i can, thank you

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm

It really, really looks like your ports aren't being forwarded, or are being blocked by a firewall.

A few things to keep in mind:

* TM uses UDP, not TCP, so make sure your port forwarding is set to the right protocol.
* Things like World of Warcraft don't require any inbound ports, so you usually don't need to configure your router like you do when you're running a server.
* The master server can "see" your server because your router is still allowing outbound communication. (Most routers don't bother blocking outbound communication.) However, it can't ping your server, and other players can't join your server, because you're not accepting inbound communication.
* All the master server does is list game servers. The fact that I can't join your server at all (even when I type in the IP address) indicates that it's not a problem with the master server.

Posted on December 14, 2010 at 12:12 am

It really, really looks like your ports aren't being forwarded, or are being blocked by a firewall.

A few things to keep in mind:

* TM uses UDP, not TCP, so make sure your port forwarding is set to the right protocol.
* Things like World of Warcraft don't require any inbound ports, so you usually don't need to configure your router like you do when you're running a server.
* The master server can "see" your server because your router is still allowing outbound communication. (Most routers don't bother blocking outbound communication.) However, it can't ping your server, and other players can't join your server, because you're not accepting inbound communication.
* All the master server does is list game servers. The fact that I can't join your server at all (even when I type in the IP address) indicates that it's not a problem with the master server.

thank you for the assistance...

i wanted to completely verify the master server wasn't the cause so i can focuse the rest of my efforts toward fixing my probem

i confirm the same research you have, and if i'm correct my gateway is blocking access to my server as i (more recently logged the activity of my server and found my gateway dropping udp ip packets which further confirms the issue

thank you very much for your assistance, now i should be able to finally figure out and fix the issue once and for all...