Skip navigation

The most annoying game ever?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > The most annoying game ever?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

I know, ill send single weak attacks by units from 5 different directions at once so you are constantly dealing with little gnat attacks instead of actually playing the game! The AI always knows where you are weak even though it doesnt scout and it just sends in raid after raid after raid, even though its stupid to do so since he always loses his units and they end up slaves. Here, try to manage 5 different raids at once all over the map so you can get stuck in multi-management multi-task hell. And oh yeah, most of your units left to themselves will just sit there and let themselves get ranged attacked to death while you are running around trying to defend gnat attacks.

By far, the most frustrating and annoying game ever. Too bad, it has alot of promise but you guys left out the most important part, is it fun?
ANNOYING IS NOT FUN. Forcing users into constant defense of piddly little raids makes no sense and its not fun. You dont have enough population to leave troops everywhere so you are constantly shuffling them around, and oh yeah they run out of food if you leave them on your borders. Occasional major invasions by bordering enemies? FUN. Constantly sacrifical raids for no reason what so over just to keep you busy clicking the mouse? RETARDED.

FRUSTRATION IS NOT FUN
If trolls made a game, this would be it. Nicely done!

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Completely disagree. You can simply pause the game if it becomes too irritating. The map has color coded areas to show when things are happening so you can jump around. The ONLY thing which angers me is that there is no way to set your units to auto attack enemies if they range attack you or to set them to auto attack enemies in an area.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 22, 2010 at 12:52 am

"Fun" and "annoying" are subjective terms. You're annoying. Take that.

Level 9 Human Vault Technician
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 22, 2010 at 3:59 am

This is the reason difficulty settings were added to the original Hegemony - to reduce AI aggressiveness (and stop the AI from constantly swarming you with such pointless attacks). You should try turning the difficulty to normal or even casual, that should help a lot.

Also, in the new Gold version, the AI too will be limited by a recruitment pool of units which it can deplete if he loses too many men, so vanilla Hegemony style constant AI raids will be a thing of the past in Gold.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Everyone can't like every game. So if you don't like a game, like in your case Hegemony, simply don't play it. Instead choose to play a game that you like. And praise such game on its forums. There will be a game for you too, don't worry.

I, for my part, really like Hegemony. And therefore I play it.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

While I'm sorry the OP so vehemently dislikes the game but we do appreciate their concerns and as Avernus pointed out we have been working to address them, particularly in Gold, while still trying to maintain the scale and flow that makes Hegemony unique.

The reason we didn't get an update out this past weekend is actually because we're in the middle of implementing a new AI planning system designed specifically to address these issues. So I'm not sure if the OP will be back given their comments but if you're out there stay tuned for Gold release 10 and I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm

well...tbh when you just started playing the game the game tends to be a little frustrating with the AI going at it wiht worthless armies that nevertheless become a serious threat when they are not dealt with. however the gold version has something called diplomacy, you just pay off a neighbur and attack the other, then when the bribed one asks more money you attack him and extract more...

a tad more agressive play gets you a long way, depending on youre style of play you could just burn his crops, destroy his walls, occupy his forts and mines at key locations and make peace with him paying for youre garrisons.

if you just sit there and wait for him to come...well then you will constantly be harassed (or have to pay up to 1500gold not to be)

but other then that, youre ranting over a game you don't like has lead to for instance the total war series getting 'popularized' (rome total war being a mix of movies: gladiator, the mummy returns, ceasar and king arthur) without any note of historical accuracy or even realism. the only way i ever did play that game with joy was when it was modded to a game that set its priority on realism and accuracy.

this game seems to do so. so basically what you need is super mario 6 or smthn. lots of colour and much fun+ you dont even have to think all that often.

Level 9 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I just had an epic 2 hour battle draining nearly every resource in my empire to defeat the Phocians at Thermopylae. I expect now that I've shattered there forces and mine are bedraggled that the next hour will involve mop-up, capture of cities and hopefully a period of calm as order is restored under Macedon rule.

Epic.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I like how you guys locked out my account. Can't stand negative comments? Why not delete this thread altogether? Good luck getting the threads on the steam forum deleted and peoples accounts banned. Oh, and I just found out the game I bought is actually Beta, and this supposed "Gold" version will fix many of the gripes people have, but you have to buy that one too. That's sneaky of you guys. Nice job! Maybe EA or some other despicable publisher will come along and buy you out, since you have so much in common. Very shady.

Level 9 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I'm sorry, I lost concentration on the second round of "waaah".

Philip is a standalone game. Hegemony Gold is a new revision with many new features, the key for which is free. Accept that, or get a grip.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Haha, thats kinda embarressing for the guy. Everything he ranted about is wrong. Still, there were some legitimate concerns hidden deep down in his wash and the Longbow people are fixing them. This is nice customer service, I just wonder when we will have to start paying for the finished gold version or if gold will be free forever for the original people?

Also @Uberwuss, do you play EB, the mod for Rome total wat based on historical stuff? If so, are you on the forums and whats your username there?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 2, 2010 at 6:47 am

do you play EB, the mod for Rome total wat based on historical stuff? If so, are you on the forums and whats your username there?

I used to, but i personally preferred the RTR6 gold metronavalmod. and those forums are gone i'm afraid (unless they merged them with the totalwar forums) but I am always and everywhere Uberwuss.

EB was nice, but I was just a big fan of the RTR project with the metronaval upgrade, where only a certain amount of cities could build walls, to simulate strongpoints and economical hubs+ I just loved it when you could gain cities by winning a major battle close to it. Something you can do in Hegemony aswell.