Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold Beta 8: Get your serial code now! (update: now beta 9)

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold Beta 8: Get your serial code now! (update: now beta 9)
Pages 1 2
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Two possible bugs I noticed with beta. I didnt notice this in alpha, but maybe I just missed it, it seems units wont replenish food when inside a city's circle, unless they are from that city. Although if you pull a home unit out of a city, then a unit from another city, they will both start to replenish food.

also, i noticed if you capture a city while enemy units are near, they wont move, but just stand there. I captured Olympia with the Acadians and after taking the city, what was left of the enemy just stood there taking arrows until they died. not sure if this is always the case, but I will see what happens next time.

anyways so far really enjoying the beta.

:)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 5:18 am

also, i noticed if you capture a city while enemy units are near, they wont move, but just stand there. I captured Olympia with the Acadians and after taking the city, what was left of the enemy just stood there taking arrows until they died. not sure if this is always the case, but I will see what happens next time.

anyways so far really enjoying the beta.
:)

I've seen that just once. The enemy unit was "clickable" not a ghost, but my unit couldn't get to it. As it was near Abdera. I either killed it with a nearby catapult or it was killed by the town's defences.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

During kingdom selection, would be nice to have a little map as well to identify where in Greece your selected kingdom are from.

That would definitely be cool but I'm not sure it's feasible at the moment. However, based on a number of comments we've received I do want to add more information to the sandbox descriptions to make it easier to pick a faction.

Is the homeless problem the only thing different between 8 and 9?

Yep, it was technically only a message problem as the gameplay still functioned but it was prominent enough we wanted to rush out a fix.

Also, I'm liking the Ionian Campaign a lot. Are there plans on making it any longer? I've only played 2 and some odd hours and I'm on the last objective.
I plan on going into more detail in a different thread so others can give their feedback.

Wow, I'm glad you like but that's definitely faster than expected. Does that include all 3 objective groups? Inciting Rebellion is discovered from the beginning but there is also the Lysander group in the north which then unlocks the Voyage Home where you go back to siege Athens.

Two possible bugs I noticed with beta. I didn't notice this in alpha, but maybe I just missed it, it seems units wont replenish food when inside a city's circle, unless they are from that city. Although if you pull a home unit out of a city, then a unit from another city, they will both start to replenish food.

There weren't any purposeful changes to resupplying in the last version but one thing that might be happening is that since the original Philip cities have been greedy with their food so that they won't share with friendly units outside unless they've reached their own food target. It's actually been my plan to change this (it was discussed back in the summer on these forums) but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Again I don't know for sure what's happening but the AI unfortunately does get stuck occasionally where it either can't find anything useful to do or it gets caught in a loop where it's trying to do something but then fails. I am currently working on the AI separately from the releases we've been doing so I hope to have some improvements in the coming weeks.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm

sounds good rob. the food thing was only with the acadians i found in a few of their cities. and i have been unable to recreate the units getting stuck outside a city, so they are not major things at all :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Also, I'm liking the Ionian Campaign a lot. Are there plans on making it any longer? I've only played 2 and some odd hours and I'm on the last objective.
I plan on going into more detail in a different thread so others can give their feedback.

Wow, I'm glad you like but that's definitely faster than expected. Does that include all 3 objective groups? Inciting Rebellion is discovered from the beginning but there is also the Lysander group in the north which then unlocks the Voyage Home where you go back to siege Athens.

Yes it does. In the other HPOM forum you'll notice it took only 4 and a half hours with only 3 objectives not completed. It's really a very very short and easy campaign IMO. Maybe I'm just really good at that style of play :P

Level 8 Human Human
Posted on November 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

Woo..lookie here. I turn my back a couple of days and what do you guys do? TWO updates?!

I actually came here to ask about what happens when enemy soldiers become 'homeless' if I left them alone long enough, and then I saw all this :) I'd taken one of the Paeonian cities (in original HPoM) and had a couple of enemy units standing outside the city basically doing nothing - and the word 'homeless' was on their unit card. I ended up capturing them, but I've presently got nearly as many slave units as army units and really nothing much to use them for. They just fill up my cities and give me the false impression the city has a large army.

Anyway, I've tried the new version, and I must say the battle system is much improved. Single clicking for each unit within a group is a much better method. I was playing as the Paeonians and had lots of space and a pretty huge army moving towards Macedonia when the Macedonians decided to try and stop me - manouevering the individual units into battle was much easier this way, and I was even able to surround the Macedonians.

Can I ask about whether the graphics etc have been optimized or something? I usually play on lowest settings - I'm on a laptop with integrated chipset and any higher settings for this game make me lag quite a bit - but with Gold I am able to play on higher settings and have no lag at all.

Another thing I would like to ask is, is there any way to get rid of the HUD? I make a lot of machinima-type videos of my games (adding music) and put them on YouTube. I recently made one for Philip of Macedon but didn't publish it because it ended up like a gameplay video with added music - not what I usually do. If I can remove the HUD and all other messages, then I'd like to have another try.

Cheers,

Kage

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 16, 2010 at 10:54 am

Sorry, could someone answer my question from the first page, please?
->
"This is a limited time offer,..." Does that mean the time we can get the code is limited or the time the code works is limited?
(I'm not a native English speaker)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Only the offer is limited; the code will continue to work with the final build, so if you've been holding off on buying Hegemony until Gold is released, you can safely buy it now.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 16, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Only the offer is limited; the code will continue to work with the final build, so if you've been holding off on buying Hegemony until Gold is released, you can safely buy it now.
I already bought hegemony months ago and am playing the gold beta for weeks now :) I just wanted to know if I have to buy it again when it's out (as I already got my Gold Serial code, I don't have to worry).

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Can I ask about whether the graphics etc have been optimized or something? I usually play on lowest settings - I'm on a laptop with integrated chipset and any higher settings for this game make me lag quite a bit - but with Gold I am able to play on higher settings and have no lag at all.

Interesting. I wish I could take credit but all of the changes in Gold have focused on gameplay and content and we really haven't touched the graphics. In the latest build Rick did some optimizations to the text rendering to help out when the Asset List gets big but otherwise I don't know what might have changed. It could be improvements to your intel driver or the fact Gold was compiled using a newer version of visual studio.

Another thing I would like to ask is, is there any way to get rid of the HUD?

Yep, type 'hidegui on' in the console and that will get rid of everything. Hitting the ~ again to open the console will turn everything back on. It will still leave the cursor but you can move that to the edge of the screen where it isn't visible. Make sure to click on the game map after you hide the gui to change the focus back to the game from the console. Otherwise all your key strokes will be typing into the hidden console rather than working with the game.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I've just found a new bug - units from Amphipolis are allied not native macedonian after the city has been colonised. Allied phalanx - that's new.

Level 8 Human Dark Lord
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I can only play the Philip Demo. Why can't I play sandbox or the others?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I can only play the Philip Demo. Why can't I play sandbox or the others?

did you enter your beta key?

Level 8 Human Dark Lord
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Where exactly do I enter it?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

When you first click on the symbol and the autorun screen shows up there is a button called Register. Put your key in without dashes and you'll be able to access the whole game.

Pages 1 2