Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold Beta 8: Get your serial code now! (update: now beta 9)

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold Beta 8: Get your serial code now! (update: now beta 9)
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 5:46 am

We've got a new build of Hegemony out, and this one is our first official beta!

If you've been testing Hegemony Gold, you'll notice a big change has been made in this build: it now uses a different serial code than Philip of Macedon, so if you'd like to help us test it, be sure to click here to get your free serial code. This is a limited time offer, and it's only available to customers of Philip of Macedon, so act now!

Once you've got your serial code, click here to download the latest beta, then head over to the forums to let us know what you think!

(Update: we've posted a new build, fixing the "homeless" problem.)

Keep reading for the change log.

Changes:
* New serial code is required.
* The Ionian War is now available for play. Cutscenes for the two new campaigns will be released in a later beta.
* When a group of ships is ordered to beach, each ship will now individually find a place to land.
* Some optimizations to text rendering speeds up the asset list, especially at the top of the page.
* Filters have been added to the asset list to keep the size down.
* When a unit is selected, its group can be selected by pressing the 'G' key.
* City view range has been increased.
* New 'rough water' cursor to make rough water clearer.
* New water entry in the manual.
* Archers added to Persian faction.
* Less overlap in miniature drawing.
* Fixed "A Rebellion in the Empire" quests not working properly in Archidamian War.
* Fixed a bug that caused healing shrines not to affect units inside nearby cities.
* Fixed oversized message box when changing screen resolutions.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 7:02 am

Oops, In Philip I get "the following units are homeless" every time I complete an objectives instead of the objective reward list.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

Yay, now beta time :D
I like the new way serial codes are handled. :)

Oops, In Philip I get "the following units are homeless" every time I complete an objectives instead of the objective reward list.

This happens in mine, as well. It doesn't make reference to a specific unit, though, and when clicking on the units I have, the home cities are already selected. Are the ghost units still haunting the game? :D

Another couple of things I noticed:

I captured Pella's farms and the city, but the flame icon is still over the farms, even though they are not on fire anymore, and are producing food. I have tried both slaves and armies right click, but 'extinguish fire' is greyed out.

When paused there is a small 'space' icon on the screen, at 1280x800 it's a little too low down the screen, and for new players, they may be confused as to why it is there.

I really don't mean any disrespect (I love you guys!) but as a web developer I find the fonts on the main menu and sub menus a little messy. When starting a new game the green hover over for selections is too low and some of the upper pixels of the text don't have the green hover over them.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

Can we go back to Alpha? ;)
The general icon on the unit (next to his name) is a low morale symbol on ships (blue wave). On one reload another general's icon (the golden star at the botton ot the unit's drawing) was missing but the general was still there.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 11:19 am

Sounds good. I registered my copy of PoM. Will the Beta key be emailed to me?

Thanks! Look forward to trying it out!

Level 8 Human Lord-General
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 11:24 am

@Gord
Go to the Download Centre [shouldn't be hard to find ;)] and your beta key for Hegemony Gold will be under "Reg. Info" next to Hegemony Gold.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 11:38 am

"This is a limited time offer,..." Does that mean the time we can get the code is limited or the time the code works is limited?

Level 8 Human "Lv.20 Vice President"
Alignment: Evil
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 11:57 am

Is anyone else having trouble getting the new gold beta or is it just me? This game is damn addicting :)

EDIT: Nevermind! Skipped a step, all is fine

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Correct link : "click here to download the latest beta, "

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I am DLing now, is there a FAQ on how/what to report, or is it just working in the background and logging errors?

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Sorry about that. This is the downside of trying to do frequent updates. It appears this arose from a conflict when Rick and I merged the work we were both doing. A simple rebuild has fixed it and we'll try to get an update out to you guys ASAP.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm

is it possible to have the beta installed, alongside the alpha on the same computer if I put them in different folders? I have a good campaign going on in alpha that I am not ready to part with, while at the same time i want to check out the beta.

Thanks!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I am DLing now, is there a FAQ on how/what to report, or is it just working in the background and logging errors?

There's no FAQ on how to report, simply play and enjoy the game and report on anything you think or see is wrong. :)

is it possible to have the beta installed, alongside the alpha on the same computer if I put them in different folders? I have a good campaign going on in alpha that I am not ready to part with, while at the same time i want to check out the beta.

Thanks!

Yes, it should be. Remember to rename the savegame if it is an autosave so it is not automatically overridden.

Posted on November 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm

We don't have an official testing FAQ but we're interested in pretty much anything you've got to say from tiny misspellings to game balance and strategy. The game doesn't log any play/bug data but should generate an error message and dump file if it crashes. You're welcome to send these dump files to me at rob@longbowgames.com and I'll try to sort it out. Thanks for your help.

Posted on November 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thanks!

As k123dave said, yes you can although the settings and savegames will go to the same place. Depending on which alpha you're using, there weren't any changes in beta 8 that should cause any problems with savegames from last week's release (v 7) so you should be able to continue on with your game if you wish.

Posted on November 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I captured Pella's farms and the city, but the flame icon is still over the farms, even though they are not on fire anymore, and are producing food. I have tried both slaves and armies right click, but 'extinguish fire' is greyed out.

The burning icon remains about the farms after you extinguish them but will no longer flash. This just indicates the farm is still partially damaged and only producing a percentage of it's normal output.

I really don't mean any disrespect (I love you guys!) but as a web developer I find the fonts on the main menu and sub menus a little messy. When starting a new game the green hover over for selections is too low and some of the upper pixels of the text don't have the green hover over them.

I agree, it's definitely sloppy and it's been my plan to fix that for ages. The only reason I haven't gotten to it yet is you might be surprised how much time it can take to polish those little gui details when you're working with custom code and i've got a ton of gameplay issues that always seem more pressing. I will probably move it up on my list as there is the danger I will forget if I keep pushing it off. Thanks for reminding me :)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm

The burning icon remains about the farms after you extinguish them but will no longer flash. This just indicates the farm is still partially damaged and only producing a percentage of it's normal output.

Ahh, thank you for that, I had not thought of it like that. Maybe as a minor change you could give workers/slaves the ability to repair it to full health?

I agree, it's definitely sloppy and it's been my plan to fix that for ages. The only reason I haven't gotten to it yet is you might be surprised how much time it can take to polish those little gui details when you're working with custom code and i've got a ton of gameplay issues that always seem more pressing. I will probably move it up on my list as there is the danger I will forget if I keep pushing it off. Thanks for reminding me :)

I fully understand the pressures! I used to custom code e-commerce software and sites, and know how even little changes can sometimes take an hour or more to code, so even a few changes can suck an entire day. Very good work so far, every step Hegemony takes is interesting to watch. :)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

During kingdom selection, would be nice to have a little map as well to identify where in Greece your selected kingdom are from.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 14, 2010 at 5:20 am

Ahh, thank you for that, I had not thought of it like that. Maybe as a minor change you could give workers/slaves the ability to repair it to full health?

I disagree with that. Now its more important to secure your farms. It would be too easy when slaves could easily repair farms.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

Is the homeless problem the only thing different between 8 and 9?

Also, I'm liking the Ionian Campaign a lot. Are there plans on making it any longer? I've only played 2 and some odd hours and I'm on the last objective.
I plan on going into more detail in a different thread so others can give their feedback.

Pages 1 2