Skip navigation

One question, a crazy idea and a bug!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > One question, a crazy idea and a bug!
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Question : How can i make changes to files for the game? i have read somewhere i can!!!

Idea : I have never seen it on strategy games, but i think there should be something like challenge option..where you can challenge an enemy faction and after 2 seasons for example they bring their entire available army on a point you have specified...you can win them or lose...in Gold you know how important is to win every single battle...
I know that should be hard to add..but would there be any chance you add it in the distant future?

Bug : You know when units come out of cities, each soldier walking behind the other creating 3 lines. Well i had some units on Aegae(starting city), and i ordered them to go out and after they fully got out, they were still walking in 3 line formation like this:
---
---
---
---
---
---
---

and not like this

--------------
--------------
--------------

Hope you understand what i am saying :)
They started walking originally when i ordered them to attack i think. That happened in Gold and they were phalagites or Hypaspists....i am not sure!

Level 9 Human Cyborg
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Bug : You know when units come out of cities, each soldier walking behind the other creating 3 lines. Well i had some units on Aegae(starting city), and i ordered them to go out and after they fully got out, they were still walking in 3 line formation like this:
---
---
---
---
---
---
---

and not like this

--------------
--------------
--------------

Hope you understand what i am saying :)
They started walking originally when i ordered them to attack i think. That happened in Gold and they were phalagites or Hypaspists....i am not sure!

Sometimes, depending how you exit an army from a city they will end up in "Column" formation, you can change them back to "Line" formation from the formations menu.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

* The easiest file to change is the globals.xnt file in the Resources/Data folder.

* I've given a fair bit of thought to how we could stage more historic battles, like the one we have with Bardylis at the start of the Philip campaign, and hopefully we'll have a chance to explore that in the next game. Is that anything like what you're hoping for?

* Often that happens because you've plotted a path through a tight space, and the formation is going into line formation early to accommodate the space. There's certainly still some oddities that can crop up now and then, though. The path-finding in one of Rob's ongoing projects that keeps improving over time.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 12:16 am

I'm not sure if this is the cause for your problem but currently the game tries to remember the formation your units had when they entered a city but this can sometimes get confusing if your unit recruits a lot of new guys while inside making it look different on the way out.

I had been wondering for awhile if it would be better to set units back to their default formation on exit but there are downsides to that too like if you wanted your peltasts to stay in a line but came back out in an open formation.

If you've got a savegame that reproduces the issue you're welcome to send it to me at rob@longbowgames.com and I'll look into it.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 6:57 am

* The easiest file to change is the globals.xnt file in the Resources/Data folder.

* I've given a fair bit of thought to how we could stage more historic battles, like the one we have with Bardylis at the start of the Philip campaign, and hopefully we'll have a chance to explore that in the next game. Is that anything like what you're hoping for?

* Often that happens because you've plotted a path through a tight space, and the formation is going into line formation early to accommodate the space. There's certainly still some oddities that can crop up now and then, though. The path-finding in one of Rob's ongoing projects that keeps improving over time.

* Thx, how do it open it? With notepad is so confusing!

* Historical battles like bardylis....what about the persian invasions? On Thermopylae, Marathon and Salamis?

* They were in the city and order them to go out to open field,no there wasnt any narrow path there!!!

And i went on with my saved game, so i dont know if it will be of any use!

Level 9 Human Cyborg
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is the cause for your problem but currently the game tries to remember the formation your units had when they entered a city but this can sometimes get confusing if your unit recruits a lot of new guys while inside making it look different on the way out.

I had been wondering for awhile if it would be better to set units back to their default formation on exit but there are downsides to that too like if you wanted your peltasts to stay in a line but came back out in an open formation.

If you've got a savegame that reproduces the issue you're welcome to send it to me at rob@longbowgames.com and I'll look into it.

The big time I notice a change where units will line up in Column formation to start with is when you create them and you move them out of a city when only <10 or so soldiers are finished at the time. With the small number they start with Column formation and stay until you change it.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 1:37 am

Thx, how do it open it? With notepad is so confusing!
Notepad will do, but it screws up the line endings, so a better text editor (EditPad Lite is a fine choice) will make it easier to work with.

Historical battles like bardylis....what about the persian invasions? On Thermopylae, Marathon and Salamis?
We've discussed doing a game on the Persian invasions, but our next game isn't going to take place in Greece. It'll be an all-new map!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

Thats great i guess :D I would love to see new places :) Put entire world as a map..it should never end!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Thats great i guess :D I would love to see new places :) Put entire world as a map..it should never end!
I'll say :P You'll be marching from Greece to Japan and be able to take a nap