Skip navigation

Auto attack option

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Auto attack option
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I believe this option is a MUST...let us have an option where garrisoned units automatically attack enemies within city range, or when city is besiged...i have lost many cities like that, when i have lots of battles going on and cant pay attention to every battle.Enemies get my cities and my units are lost..

Also units in field should attack in radious too...many times when athenians land troops near on my town, i leave a unit to guard the coast because i have to attend something else...then i find out the enemy units passed near my units and conquered a city... :S

I know there is auto pause, but doesnt help in all cases

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I agree with the auto-attack for troops stationed outside cities, but not for garrisons. Often the increased defense that a garrison gives will allow you time to bring a few units from the frontier or from other garrisons to help. And unless you garrison your cities with phalangites or superior hoplites, the besiegers will win the fight outside the walls which weakens your city tremendously.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I am currently experimenting with adding some ai for the player's units which includes having configurable stances (hold, aggressive, defensive, etc) and will react to things like missile fire, running out of food or getting caught in rough water. However there are a lot of complications to get it to work intelligently in conjunction with your own commands so I don't know for sure if or when this will get into gold.

My current plan will only apply to units that are in the field since, as Biowulf commented, sieges usually take long enough that you should have time to decide how you want to respond yourself. If you want to automatically repel light attacks on a city you will be able to leave your units positioned outside the city and they will attack if they're strong enough or retreat back into the city if they are outnumbered.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I see thx!...i hope the stances work well..i have problems with unwalled cities actually :) I barely have the gold to support them , and the population as well...