Skip navigation

Installing Gold

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Installing Gold
Level 8 Human Gamer/Modder
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hi, I just bought Hegemony from Steam and was wondering what the correct installation path is for the Gold update, because it automatically wants to install to C:/Program Files/Longbow Digital Arts/ but that is not where my Hegemony: Philip of Macedon is installed.

The folder it wanted to install to is also different, so I am confused. Do I install it to the Steam folder or does it not matter where I install?

Level 8 Human Salesman
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I don't believe it matters where you install it, it looks for the same registry entry (the key) as your steam version. I too use alternate locations from the default and actually installed gold in the wrong directory by accident, but it worked anyhow. Don't open the game through steam anymore, use the Gold shortcut/app - it's a completely new install.

Level 8 Human Gamer/Modder
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thank you.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Yep, andy's got it right. Hegemony Gold is a completely standalone game with it's own settings, savegames, etc and you can install wherever you want. It's only interaction with steam (or any other version of Hegemony you buy) is that it currently looks for the same reg code to activate it.

Eventually Gold will have it's own reg code and we'll issue new codes to you guys so you can keep testing.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I've managed to successfully move the gold version into the steam location so that steam recognises that I'm playing hegemony. This is really because I'm pedantic about tracking hours spent (24Hrs ingame so far) for my GameLog, but it's achievable if you want to do it.

Since steam is linked to the launcher.exe inside the steam hegemony folder, all you need to do is replace the entire hegemony folder with gold.

WARNING: Any hegemony steam update will break this. Turn off steam automatic updates through steam > library > games > hegemony > properties > updates

1. Backup [steamDir]\steamapps\common\hegemony philip of macedon
2. Rename the [steamDir]\steamapps\common\hegemony philip of macedon directory to something else (EG: [steamDir]\steamapps\common\hegemony philip of macedon.orig) or delete it if you're bold (you backed up right?)
3. Install Hegemony Gold and note install location (by default C:/Program Files/Longbow Digital Arts/Hegemony Gold)
4. Copy entire Hegemony Gold directory to [steamDir]\steamapps\common\hegemony philip of macedon
5. Launch thru steam and enjoy!

I'm going off the assumption that there won't be any new steam updates for the game until Gold is released proper, so I'm comfortable replacing the directory manually each time a new alpha comes out.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Fair warning: there might be one or two updates as we work out the kinks with the Steam version.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I have H:POM and after installing Gold the game says I'm not registered. My key from the website doesn't work. Is this right?

Sorry if I missed an earlier post on this.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 14, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I missed a news report. Basically if you goto the News forum, and then click on the gold beta v8 post and click the linky that they posted, you type your name, and it adds Gold to the download list for the new registration code.

Tricky. ;)