Skip navigation

Release date & some sequel considerations

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Release date & some sequel considerations
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 12:02 am

Hi.
Tried demo yesterday, probably want to buy the game, but since gold version is to be released in November, it probably makes sense to wait for it... So, is there more exact release date at this time, than what I read in other thread that sometime in November, please?
I also read the sequel discussion, and comment from Rob about Alexander/successors being perhaps not suited for game style... well not sure about it, at least about mentioned argument being map size & nothing but roads - it could in fact maybe make for even better gameplay feeling:
-Larger importance of maneuver
-Bigger but more significant (=fewer) battles
-Terrain supply modifiers (deserts, mountains)
-More to logistics (with some new mechanism emulating the way he was getting reinforcements historically (from his regents in secured areas) - perhaps reinforcements pools for individual culture in each city - like, there are x trained manpower from Macedonia, y from Greece, z from former Persian areas... that would grow more for local troop types but much less from remote ones - with occasional wave of larger reinforcements (e.g., Antipater sent trained troops from Macedonia)
-Regent/Satrap system - Alexander(or successor) would not be able to control everything but would have to assign leaders to govern areas (perhaps this would be good areas for characters development - and maybe some traits, like some being loyal no matter what, some of them being more traditional (pro-macedonian)
-Loyalty/fear/intimidation mechanisms - those played major role during Alexander's conquests - when there were rumors he was killed, when he razed cities in retribution, when he shown generosity to defeated opponents (which some of them interpreted as weakness and waited for first opportunity to rebel).
-Village system would maybe need to have different role than in Philip

Of course I can't consider whether this would be feasible as there may be engine limitations and it might also be too complex to do properly with relatively small amount of staff. But maybe it's worth the consideration.

Level 8 Human gamer, Giant Microwave operator, stalker, Rapist
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 12:18 am

Also one thing I can't say is such a bad thing, but the ability to create a city at one of any random places in the world, and slowly grow up and expand to become a new world power. Kind of fictional but be kinda neat to start a persian rebellion and make persia cry with your power. Although itd be for more advance users as itd be hard to invade a much much larger country.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 12:27 am

Hi.
Tried demo yesterday, probably want to buy the game, but since gold version is to be released in November, it probably makes sense to wait for it... So, is there more exact release date at this time, than what I read in other thread that sometime in November, please?

We're currently in discussions regarding the distribution of Gold so unfortunately I can't give a release date for sure. However, we've significantly expanded upon our original plans for gold based on ideas from the community and as it currently stands it won't be in november and might get pushed into the new year.

Right now you can get free access to the gold beta when you buy Philip.

Interesting ideas on Alexander. Although we haven't started on the sequel yet we do have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be. I don't think it will be for awhile yet but we'll post info on it as soon as we can.

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

I have a question as well. I hear you (Rob) say a lot that Gold is free with Hegemony's purchase 'as of right now.' I can't remember the exact wording. But my question is this: Right now I have Hegemony plus access to Gold pre-release but after Gold is officially released will I have to pay for it again? Will I have to pay for Gold on top of what I've already paid for Hegemony?
I understand about paying for expansions, the weird thing would be paying for something I've already been playing, only a finished version. Not that I'd be against paying for it, I probably would since I like the game, but it'd be nice if someone would clear this up.

edit: I have to apologize; when browsing the forums I noticed that under the topic 'Wow! Great Game!' There was a fair,though not sturdy, answer to my question. Saying there may be a cost to upgrade the game from regular Philip to Gold. If that's the case I think that's a fair deal. There is a lot of work being put into Gold after all.