Skip navigation

Cheats

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Cheats
Pages 1 2 3 4
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Hey guys,

I know I will probably get flamed for this. But I would really, really enjoy some cheat codes for this game, like unlimited population and money. I'm playing the game on easy, and it's just overwhelming being completely surrounded by hostiles. I send my armies one direction, and another enemy army marches into my lands. It also seems they can build massive amounts of units very quickly with no concern of income/population. With no way of diplomacy, I simply can't man the walls and attack at the same time. Please, if there is a way to enable the console and insert cheats, please do tell. I used cheat engine to some success, but it's buggy.

Level 8 Human Cyborg
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Using the steam version or the Alpha release of Gold? Using the Gold version I've managed to make 2 truces to help alleviate the attacks from the Northeast in the Philip campaign.

I've also noticed (was fixed in Release 7 for me) that even if you choose "Casual" when starting a new game it still stays on normal and you have to go back into options once the game is started to change the difficulty. I've noticed a big difference between waves of attacks with those 2 difficulty levels. Though even on casual I still get invaded by 2-3 hoplites + 3-4 spearmen +4-5 peltast from the South every year. And 4-5 peltast + 1 scout calvary from the West. Which I can hold those two sides as I'm focusing on the eastern territories currently, and I have the North/North East truced currently.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Using the Steam version. Just bought it the other day. As I type, I have the game on pause and have about 7 enemy units roaming my territories.

Level 8 Human gamer, Giant Microwave operator, stalker, Rapist
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Thats nothing, I am using the latest gold pre version, and have about 12 hoplites, 14 spears, 19 peltast, all heading to lepron (playing as sparta) and these are from 4 different armies. I have 8 Hoplites and two catapults to bear to these numbers, and sending in 5 more emergency hoplites. Hoping to fight the largest attacks from elis and arcadia through the pass where they decided to take the same route (doh) Thankfully the hoplites are in the rear and have not taken point yet. I may have to retreat to messene. Its sad because originally I thought I defeated their main army and I headed to Olympia, took it over, then retreated when two massive armies combined went against me. Things were okay till messene and argos sent armies and then athenians dropped some troops west of lepron ( how the world did they get there?)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I dont get how you can choose nations? In STEAM version I don't have a choice.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I know I will probably get flamed for this. But I would really, really enjoy some cheat codes for this game, like unlimited population and money.

It's generally our position that as a single player game you can mess with it all you want. If you hit the ~ key you can open the console and do a bunch of stuff. The console isn't documented and unfortunately its not always safe but you're welcome to mess with it. The commands you might be most interested in are awardgold and addbrigade.

As some of the other users have been talking about you can also adjust the difficulty in an ongoing game in the options screen.

I dont get how you can choose nations? In STEAM version I don't have a choice.

The sandbox mode is a feature in Hegemony Gold that we're currently beta testing. Gold is a standalone followup to the version of Hegemony on steam that you can try right now using your reg code from steam. You can download gold here.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thanks alot! I'm going to try these out not, and am also downloading GOLD.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 10:14 am

I managed to add gold, but I can't figure out how to add brigades for the life of me.

Level 8 Human Salesman
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

I just bought the game off steam yesterday, immediately installed Gold and started a new campaign from Gold - Game is AWESOME! First 3 hours of gameplay I've expanded out quite a bit but had some really tense tactical battles, been invaded 2 or 3 times (twice by sea) and always managed to fight it off at the last minute.

If you're having trouble with the steam version, I cannot recommend the changes in gold highly enough - It turns this game into arguably the slowest RTS on the market, and by far the most interesting.

Posted on November 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I managed to add gold, but I can't figure out how to add brigades for the life of me.

Admittedly the console was mostly set up for our own testing so it's not particularly user friendly. Here's an example of addbrigade

addbrigade phalangitebrigade -faction Macedonia -home Pella -container Pella
* this will drop a new macedonian phalangite inside pella

addbrigade hoplitebrigade -faction Athens -home Athens
* this will drop an athenian hoplite brigade in the centre of the screen but be careful there's room as if the terrain is blocked this can corrupt your savegame in older versions

Other brigade types are peltastbrigade, macedoniancavalrybrigade, tribalspearmanbrigade, etc.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much!

Level 8 Human Human
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I'm really enjoying this game - I'm 5 hours into my current campaign on the original Hegemony: Philip of Macedon (and haven't been able to keep hold of much territory outside Pella for very long) and I'm keeping this as my 'proper' campaign, whilst playing around with Gold, mostly using the sandbox to explore the other factions. It's really enjoyable!

One thing, though (in addition to the hundreds of ideas/requests you see here every day), can we have a bit of variation in the environment? It's always dark, like everything takes place at night. Something maybe to suit the seasons - light and sunny in summer, dark and snowy in winter? I actually don't know what time of year it is unless I look to where it says up at the top.

Cheers!

Level 8 Human Salesman
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I second that about the mood - doesn't have to be anything fancy like weather, just playing with the brightness and color pallete a little could make the whole "seasons" thing very intuitive, which would certainly make me use it more than I do.

Posted on November 9, 2010 at 6:23 pm

an we have a bit of variation in the environment? It's always dark, like everything takes place at night. Something maybe to suit the seasons - light and sunny in summer, dark and snowy in winter? I actually don't know what time of year it is unless I look to where it says up at the top.

The seasonal variation is somewhat limited in the engine right now. The direction of the light does a full circle over the course of the year and dips down from near the horizon in the spring to about 45 degrees in the summer. We did try to emphasize the seasons by changing the lighting colour a fair bit which may have had the downside of making the bluey winter colour a little dark. On the flipside we found that brightening the summer too much made the terrain look really flat (as the shadows and shading got very subtle).

Unfortunately, more significant and distinct effects like snow and textural changes aren't in the plan until after gold when we'll have more time to upgrade the engine.

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Actually, funnily enough, I don't find it very difficult to recognize the season based on lighting and such. Once it starts getting darker out I'm like, oh must be just about winter. Then spring gets a little brighter and the farms start growing. Summer seems brightest and the most green. Then in autumn things start to fade again and the farms look a little different.

I don't know, to me weather seems pretty good. Though things like falling rain and snow would always be nice, it's not always possible or necessary in this game. However it might be interesting to see the terrain grass, like actual 3d grass on the ground, change color a little. Maybe more brown in the winter and green in the summer. That would make it seem more like the world's changing.

However I do think I heard someone previously say that it doesn't snow all that much in Greece, and snow on the mountaintops was pretty much mostly what you saw, and currently there is already snow on mountaintops.

edit: In reference to it being too dark in winter, initially when I played the game I thought winter was also doubling as nighttime. Though not completely dark, it could almost seem like the one hour year cycle could double as a one hour day-night cycle. It wouldn't be completely unusual to see something like this in a game.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 1:43 am

You hit the nail on the head! The seasons doubling as a day/night cycle is exactly the effect we were hoping to achieve.

Level 8 Human gamer, Giant Microwave operator, stalker, Rapist
Posted on November 10, 2010 at 6:33 pm

All I am going to say is, you really want to figure out what the weather was like so very long ago, when alot of changes of weather have been made as the years go by and different things change?

Posted on November 11, 2010 at 4:50 am

That would be pretty grueling research for something that nobody would notice :)

I will admit that the weather in Hegemony isn't entirely accurate for the period. We know from historical documents that it did occasionally snow in Greece: for instance, we're told that when Brasidas sieged Amphipolis toward the end of the Archidamian war, he marched at night through a snowstorm.

We did actually experiment with snow during development, but we couldn't get it to look right, and since snow is/was rather light in Greece, we didn't make it a priority. As Rob said, though, we're really keen on getting some more interesting weather effects in the next game.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 23, 2010 at 1:36 am

Just a quick question on this, is there a console command to add recruits to a city? I sometimes feel like adding recruits to my own and enemy cities just to change it up. I would enjoy beating back enemies, giving them more recruits and fighting them again in certain areas. Maybe its just me, but it seems really fun to have the option.

Posted on November 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Well, we have one command to change the city population (thus changing the recruits), but it's not really what you're looking for. Usually we just change the campaign files by hand when we want to change the number of recruits.

If you copy one of the .xml files in the campaigns folder, you'll notice that all of the 'city' elements have a 'maxpop' element; you can change this to change the city's population.

Knowing that, here's some more tidbits you'll find useful:

* You can load a custom campaign from the console with this command: loadgame -usecwd "Resources/Entities/Campaigns/my awesome campaign.xml"
* If you want to edit your saved game, you can save it in a plaintext xml format with this command: savegame -xml "my awesome saved game"
** Both of these commands accept the '-usecwd' flag: without the flag the file name refers to your default saved game directory and the extension '.HegemonyGoldSaveGame' is automatically added. With the flag no extension is added and the file name is relative to the game's install directory.
** Note: If you installed Hegemony in the default location (i.e. 'Program Files') and you're running Vista/Win7, you probably won't be able to write saved games to that location.
** Note: I improved these commands somewhat recently, so don't expect them to work very well in vanilla Philip.

* You can turn on debug mode with the command 'debug on'. Now when you select a city the info panel will show that city's ID, which you can then cross-reference with the campaign file. You will also be able to issue orders to enemies!

* Some of the cities in the xml file also have a 'totnatpop' element, which is always less than or equal to the maxpop. All this element does is limit the population so it can be increased later with quest rewards or migrants.

Pages 1 2 3 4