Skip navigation

Wow! Great game!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Wow! Great game!
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 5, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Saw this game on Steam today and after taking a closer look I decided it was a must buy. I am have been playing total war and paradox games forever and can't say how great Hegemony is. Very well done.

Now I am just playing the version on steam, and I saw there was some Alpha updates for a Gold version or something. Where would I find these?

Also I read some reviews and saw some complaints about lack of diplomacy, but after playing for a bit I realize that I like the diplomacy. If someone likes you, they wont attack, if they don't like you, they will attack. Simple! :)

Only thing I find confusing so far is food, but I am sure it will come as I play more.

Anyway just wanted to pop in here and say this game is great and I am very happy to see a indie developer made such a fun game.

PS. I saw mention of a sandbox mode where u can play other nations besides Macedon. Is that in the gold?

THanks!!!

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Saw this game on Steam today and after taking a closer look I decided it was a must buy. I am have been playing total war and paradox games forever and can't say how great Hegemony is. Very well done.

Thanks, your comments are much appreciated.

Now I am just playing the version on steam, and I saw there was some Alpha updates for a Gold version or something. Where would I find these?

Yep, Hegemony: Philip of Macedon has actually been out since May so we're currently in the late stages of testing Hegemony Gold now. You can download gold here and it will install alongside the steam version and use the same registration code.

Also I read some reviews and saw some complaints about lack of diplomacy, but after playing for a bit I realize that I like the diplomacy. If someone likes you, they wont attack, if they don't like you, they will attack. Simple! :)

That was our initial plan, but in expanding Hegemony to the Peloponnesian War and adding the sandbox mode Hegemony Gold includes a new dynamic diplomacy system that lets you make truces and alliances with any other faction on the map. In gold, diplomacy is a balance between hostility and intimidation. So if a faction really dislikes you than it's going to be very expensive to negotiate a treaty unless you can intimidate them by bringing your whole army to their doorstep.

Only thing I find confusing so far is food, but I am sure it will come as I play more.

There's a lengthy article on food in the in-game manual but if you've got any specific questions feel free to post them here and I our someone else should be able to help you out.

PS. I saw mention of a sandbox mode where u can play other nations besides Macedon. Is that in the gold?

Yep, gold has a complete sandbox mode where you can start as any faction on the map and play just to grab territory without any boundaries or objectives. We are still in the process of balancing this but you're welcome to give a try and we'd love to hear what you think.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm

hello,

if I buy now the game by steam, when gold version is released, I will have to pay again? or will be free?

thanks!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 6:43 am

hello,

if I buy now the game by steam, when gold version is released, I will have to pay again? or will be free?

thanks!

hello again,

can anyone answer me?

thank you very much.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 10:58 am

Hey,

I think this is more of a Dev question, but I'll try to help.

Basically, when you buy the original game from Steam, you do automatically have access to the Alpha Versions of Gold. However, when actual release comes out, I do assume you're going to have to pay for that like any other game, since it's an actual expansion.

Now whether it will require the original game to play, or be stand alone, that I do not know.

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 11:13 am

Due to a number of factors the final decision on pricing and upgrades for "Gold" hasn't been made yet ...

but... the likely option is for those who bought "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" on Steam, there will be a small upgrade cost to get Gold, given that "Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece", with its extra content, will be launched at a higher price.

What we can say right now is that anyone who has bought Philip can access the beta of gold immediately and we'll do our best to make sure that there is no disadvantage to buying "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" now on Steam.

Jim

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thanks, your comments are much appreciated.

Yep, Hegemony: Philip of Macedon has actually been out since May so we're currently in the late stages of testing Hegemony Gold now. You can download gold here and it will install alongside the steam version and use the same registration code.

That was our initial plan, but in expanding Hegemony to the Peloponnesian War and adding the sandbox mode Hegemony Gold includes a new dynamic diplomacy system that lets you make truces and alliances with any other faction on the map. In gold, diplomacy is a balance between hostility and intimidation. So if a faction really dislikes you than it's going to be very expensive to negotiate a treaty unless you can intimidate them by bringing your whole army to their doorstep.

There's a lengthy article on food in the in-game manual but if you've got any specific questions feel free to post them here and I our someone else should be able to help you out.

Yep, gold has a complete sandbox mode where you can start as any faction on the map and play just to grab territory without any boundaries or objectives. We are still in the process of balancing this but you're welcome to give a try and we'd love to hear what you think.

thanks for the reply! really enjoying the game. downloaded the gold version as well and gotta say it is awesome too. the sandbox mode could be epic! haveing a good game with the Paeonians right now.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 11:08 am

So recent purchasers on Steam have to pay a bit more for the final version of Gold. What about those of us who bought way back in May?

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I can probably guess there will be an option during Expantion purchase where you input your registration key, and get a discount...