Skip navigation

Preview release 6 now released!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Preview release 6 now released!
Pages 1 2 3
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

You have to do something with Assets Window, irs impossible to use.
As a programmer I dont understand why Assets Window is so slow.

That's the top item on rick's todo list after we get the rest of the scenarios in but it's a significant job so I can't predict when or if it'll make it in for the gold launch. The basic issue is that the text display and parsing system wasn't really designed for lists that big as the asset list was only added near the end of the project.

My immediate plan to improve things is to add filters for the next release that will let you view only non-combat units or turn off water units, etc.

I had a couple of crashes (Philip) - some odd ones like - pelast not found or outside the region, but otherwise the game is stable.

If any of the crashes are repeatable or you remember the exact wording I'd be interested in hearing it.

Another thing - is AI capable of disbanding units? I get attacked every winter (!) by a very hungry

They should if their city is running out of food. The problem the illyrian hoplites have is that they move very slowly and often run out of food while on the march. Ideally the AI tries to find food along the way but it's hard to predict if this is possible. I will keep this in mind when I get back to AI work.

I've noticed that description for Philip's bonus to heroics and logistics is the other way round

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You may not have noticed tha Philip only starts with 3 stars now and those are bumped to 5 after completing the new objective "Military Prowess". I also found a few typos in the skill tooltips (heroics & food ) which will be fixed in the next update.

Also, I mentioned that at Alpha 4 - punish Olynthus is now part of Sacred War objective, not Olynthus first blood - why? When you tear down it's walls you get Callistratus the scholar in Olynthus and - as it turned out later - a general called Alcetas in Dion. When I captured Dion a lot later he was just waitng there.

The punish Olynthus (Insolence Demands Destruction) has been in the sacred war objective since the launch of Philip as I believe it historically marked the end of that war. We also wanted the player to be aware of it early rather than only after they explored to the east. As far as the general is concerned, when we dropped the villas out of gold we had to assign each new general to a macedonian city and I think jim just tried to vary them up. Although the reward message does specify he's in dion we could still leave his home as dion and put him in olynthus if you guys think that would better.

When you complete one of the Northern Diplomacy objective that's part of the Odyrsian Kingdom, you get King Sitacles Calvary and Peltast. The description says that their units sizes are 30 each, and also 4 stars across their board in terms of their abilities. However, when I actually click on the units, the Calvary only has 6 units and only 1/1/1/1/1 across the board, and the Peltast, while they are the correct size of 30, they also have 1/1/1/1/1 too.

The skills bug has been fixed and King Sitacles' cavalry did have the correct number of units but their link was incorrectly going to the peltast's pedia page which said 30. However, I'll probably up the size of the cavalry anyways to make them a little more significant.

Also, another bug with the Northern Diplomacy Obejective, it seems when you enter into an alliance with Macedonia per that objective, everyone's hostility will raise against you if you already had a truce with Macedon.

Thanks for catching that, normally changing diplomatic status requires breaking the previous agreement and I had made an exception for upgrading from truces to alliances but not for objective rewards. This will be fixed in the next update.

The reward states that sheep will spawn across Locris and Euboea, however, no sheep did spawn.

Fixed: a minor typo in the reward script.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I've noticed that description for Philip's bonus to heroics and logistics is the other way round

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You may not have noticed tha Philip only starts with 3 stars now and those are bumped to 5 after completing the new objective "Military Prowess". I also found a few typos in the skill tooltips (heroics & food ) which will be fixed in the next update.

TBH I couldn't remember what I meant in the morning... But now having checked I know! The morale value of a unit is just above its logistics skills, and food amount is just above heroics - sort of the other way round :) It's probably been like this forever but I got confused when while checking units's morale details my mouse moved a little bit too far and I saw: -20% food consumption! Too much time in front of the screen... ;)
Also, I mentioned that at Alpha 4 - punish Olynthus is now part of Sacred War objective, not Olynthus first blood - why? When you tear down it's walls you get Callistratus the scholar in Olynthus and - as it turned out later - a general called Alcetas in Dion. When I captured Dion a lot later he was just waitng there.

The punish Olynthus (Insolence Demands Destruction) has been in the sacred war objective since the launch of Philip as I believe it historically marked the end of that war. We also wanted the player to be aware of it early rather than only after they explored to the east. As far as the general is concerned, when we dropped the villas out of gold we had to assign each new general to a macedonian city and I think jim just tried to vary them up. Although the reward message does specify he's in dion we could still leave his home as dion and put him in olynthus if you guys think that would better.

My mistake about Olynthus - see explanation above:) As long as the game doesnt crash if a general spawns in a city that's not yours I don't see a problem but maybe there's a better place somewhere east of Pella - you are more likely to take these cities in order to get to Olynthus then Dion. BTW - what happens if he gets defeated while his home is still enemy occupied? Does he get back and wait until you've conquered it? I guess so.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Not sure how this happened, but all of sudden "Rebellion in the Empire" just triggered, and the 2nd objective "A Lesbian Uprising" automatically completed, and now it says that Mytilene will never rebel, however, I just looked inside and I can only recruit mercenary units, so not sure if that's intended to be like that, since based off the descriptions it seems everything should go back to the way it was. (which in this case, they should still be allies again I assume right?)

Also, Lesbos now is still in rebellion, and the first objective of that "Stockholm Syndrome" is still considered a hidden objective. So again, not sure how these objectives triggered, since I haven't been in that area for a long time, but just letting you know in case you guys feel it's not working as intended.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Also, to further touch up on that "Rebellion in the Empire"

It seems, since that Triggered, thus the alliance I had with Lesbos got broken, the hostility of all factions went up against me, so again not sure if that was intentional, or another bug like the Macedonia one.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Another Bug, this time from the Objective "Message to Corinth"

It states I need to capture 3 Acarnanian Cities, and as a reward those cities will be mine and won't rebel. Well, I just captured Stratos, Acarnania, and Amphiochia which the description of these cities clearly states that they are Acarnanian Cities, however, the objective did not complete.

I will continue wipe out the cities, to see what finally triggers this if it does, and will report back to this post if it eventually does trigger.

That objective is indeed truly bugged, as I just conquered all Acaranian Cities own by the Peloponnese League, including mines and towers, and that objective still did not complete. Also, it seems one of the Generals there, became mine, his name "Pleistoanax" (Pretty good stats 5/5/5/5/5), so not sure if that's meant to be, as he came under my control after I captured Leucas.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Well for myself as I said I find it very hard to get past the control scheme in combat.. spotting bugs in quests is beyond me as there are hundreds of quests and I'm a much more 'every day' kind of player.. I just go around capturing cities as I see fit. on occasion I look at a quest to see if there's some kind of reward but usually not.
I think for mainstream it'll be better to have considerably fewer objectives but BIG important ones that can be achieved in different ways, instead of very clean cut objectives like 'capture guard tower X' or 'capture town X' copy-pasted a lot (now I know it's not like that, there's a huge amount of history and flavor text and everything. depth, in short. but to the casual gamer in me it does feel a bit like that. I think overall I'd prefer a compromise).

But the control scheme for combat! that's really the most important I think.
In no other strategy game you select a whole buch of units that stay in formation by clicking on a single unit and issuing it a command. it's a bit counter-intuitive and requires a LOT of double-clicking and the unlearning of every control-scheme convention from other games.

cant wait for version 7

Posted on November 3, 2010 at 2:07 am

Another Bug, this time from the Objective "Message to Corinth"

Thanks, i'll check that out. It's a new objective type so i'm not too surprised it needs more testing. It's probably something related to acarnania being allied with the peloponnesian league.

just go around capturing cities as I see fit. on occasion I look at a quest to see if there's some kind of reward but usually not.
I think for mainstream it'll be better to have considerably fewer objectives but BIG important ones that can be achieved in different ways, instead of very clean cut objectives like 'capture guard tower X' or 'capture town X' copy-pasted a lot (now I know it's not like that, there's a huge amount of history and flavor text and everything. depth, in short. but to the casual gamer in me it does feel a bit like that. I think overall I'd prefer a compromise).

I think you've more or less hit on our intentions with the new content in gold. The sandbox mode was intended for players like you who just want to go out and capture cities and conquer territory with no boundaries and no restrictions.

On the other hand, the two new campaigns have fewer but more focused objectives than Philip with the intention that there would be multiple approaches to solving each one.

But the control scheme for combat! that's really the most important I think.

Sorry you're still having trouble with this. I have roughly switched the controls in our internal version and we're currently testing it out for the next update.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 6:06 am

why other factions does not have catapults?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 6:51 am

Some suggestions:

1) Enumerate unit shortcut list.
3) Add addition unit shortcuts, I dont know how, but let discuss.
2) Add "RunAway City",when unit defeated run to this city instead of home.
3) General and army must runaway to same cities.
3) Add adition alert "Rebeling Cities" like "No Food","Attacked", "Enemy Sited".

Its great game and I realy miss these options.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 8:58 am

As nicely explained in the manual catapults were something that Philip introduced to the siegecraft. Until that point sieges would be very passive and take years, unless there was some traitor who could open the gates.

Posted on November 3, 2010 at 10:27 am

In the Philip campaign only a handful of factions have catapults based on historical precedence, in the new peloponnesian campaigns no one does because catapults at that time weren't very effective and in the sandbox mode everybody has them. However, at the moment the AI isn't very good at using them so you might not come across them. I hope to have a chance to work on this.

) 1) Enumerate unit shortcut list.
3) Add addition unit shortcuts, I dont know how, but let discuss.

Which shortcut list is this? We can definitely look at adding more shortcut keys if you have some ideas.

2) Add "RunAway City",when unit defeated run to this city instead of home.

The basic idea of routed units is that you've lost control over them. They'll generally try to run to the nearest friendly fort or city or will automatically return home if they can get far enough away from an enemy. Once they escape some of them will return to their homecity as recruits based on how far away it is. In gold you do have the option of changing the unit's home city to another of it's native faction if you want to change where the unit reforms.

3) General and army must runaway to same cities.

This is possible now if you set the unit and the general to the same homecity. Unfortunately, since the general and unit can heal at different speeds we can't leave them attached.

3) Add adition alert "Rebeling Cities" like "No Food","Attacked", "Enemy Sited".

I've wondered about adding rebelling cities to the under attack list. That would be the easiest option in the short term and I think would still fit as a rebellion does represent a threat to the city.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

I think you've more or less hit on our intentions with the new content in gold. The sandbox mode was intended for players like you who just want to go out and capture cities and conquer territory with no boundaries and no restrictions.

On the other hand, the two new campaigns have fewer but more focused objectives than Philip with the intention that there would be multiple approaches to solving each one.

That makes sense, but it does make the scenarios way shorter then what Phillip was though if that's your intention. I mean in my completed Archidamian scenario, I felt like I accomplished a lot, but it wasn't because of the objectives though. Since, I completely subdued Thebes, Corinth, and the Acarnanian Cities, so when I actually started landing on the coast of Pylos and such, it would make sense that Sparta would go for a truce with me.

However, if I didn't do extra side non-objective stuff, I think the little things you do with the main objectives shouldn't drive Sparta to a truce with you in reality, so I personally feel that there should be more objectives to reflect Athens naval power towards that Peloponnese coast, which in turn would drive Sparta to an uneasy truce with you.

Level 9 Human Human
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hello all,

I'm brand new to all this, and have a small question.

When I started up Hegemony Gold, I decided to try out the Sandbox and play as the Spartans - after highlighting a lot of units to make them exit the city of Sparta, I CTD'd and got a message advising me to create a memory dump text file (which I did) to be sent to the devs. What should I do now and how should I send it? (Side note: I have since played as the Illyrians and had no problems).

Also, I have another question. Will the Sandbox feature be available in the full release, because I think it's really quite good as a trainer!

Kage

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hello all,

I'm brand new to all this, and have a small question.

When I started up Hegemony Gold, I decided to try out the Sandbox and play as the Spartans - after highlighting a lot of units to make them exit the city of Sparta, I CTD'd and got a message advising me to create a memory dump text file (which I did) to be sent to the devs. What should I do now and how should I send it? (Side note: I have since played as the Illyrians and had no problems).

Also, I have another question. Will the Sandbox feature be available in the full release, because I think it's really quite good as a trainer!

Kage

Welcome to Hegemony, when I get bugs or crashes I usually send them to Rob, which I'm sure he'll tell you to do the same, his e-mail address is: rob@longbowgames.com

Also, what you see in Gold will indeed be in for final release, so that Sandbox mode you like, will defiantly be in :)However, if you are looking for a good trainer to understand the basics and such, I think the Phillip scenario is a better learning tool for you, then the Sandbox mode, so you should check that out if you haven't.

Naturally any other questions feel free to pass em along.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Quick Select list - On left-Top corner

3) Add addition unit shortcuts, I dont know how, but let discuss..
Maybe we can use "Caps Lock" to have 2 group of 10 quick select

Posted on November 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

That makes sense, but it does make the scenarios way shorter then what Phillip was though if that's your intention

The Archidamian War and the forthcoming Ionian war were never intended to be as long as the Philip campaign. A fairly small percentage of players ever played all the way through the Philip campaign so we thought it made more sense to break the historical scenarios into smaller chunks that more players could complete. And of course with the sandbox there are 26 different ways to start a 50+ hour campaign for those who like the really long game.

However, if I didn't do extra side non-objective stuff, I think the little things you do with the main objectives shouldn't drive Sparta to a truce with you in reality, so I personally feel that there should be more objectives to reflect Athens naval power towards that Peloponnese coast, which in turn would drive Sparta to an uneasy truce with you.

Historically, the capture of the Spartan prisoners at Pylos did result in a temporary truce with Athens but we may need to do more work to convey the significance of these actions. There are also cutscenes for the start and end of each new scenario that will ideally help explain the history further.

when I get bugs or crashes I usually send them to Rob

Yep, please send any dump files to me at rob@longbowgames.com and I'll work on getting them fixed.

Also, what you see in Gold will indeed be in for final release

Gold will be at least what you see now. There's one new campaign (the Ionian War) that should go in any day now as well as new cutscenes and all the Sandbox games you see. We still have a lot of balancing to do on the starting conditions for the new campaigns as well as feature adjustments and bug fixes. Some of the big things we're experimenting with are ai for the player's units, grouping tweaks and ai improvements.

Quick Select list - On left-Top corner

OK, by enumerate you mean a single key that would let you toggle through each slot in order?

3) Add addition unit shortcuts, I dont know how, but let discuss..
Maybe we can use "Caps Lock" to have 2 group of 10 quick select

Yep, we can definitely add a second or third set of quick selects. I'll add it to the todo list. Do you guys prefer something like using Alt+1, Alt+2, etc to access a second list or some toggle to change the current list and then just 1, 2, etc selects the units?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The Archidamian War and the forthcoming Ionian war were never intended to be as long as the Philip campaign. A fairly small percentage of players ever played all the way through the Philip campaign so we thought it made more sense to break the historical scenarios into smaller chunks that more players could complete. And of course with the sandbox there are 26 different ways to start a 50+ hour campaign for those who like the really long game.

Fair enough, I guess I'm always a sucker for longer scenarios, and even in the end, your 2 scenarios combined will still probably give about 20-25 hours per scenario, which is a lot more then most games offer today anyway. Speaking of the sandbox mod, actually tried it out the other day, it's rather intriguing.

I do hope the special units are added soon to each faction, to give at least a little varierty to playing certain factions. Also, not sure how is left to improve the sandbox mode, but I also think there should some sort of submission feature or something, after you've wiped a certain faction, that their cities are far less prone to rebelling, or even after a certain period of time under your rule, they eventually can become allies or something, so at least you can take advantage of the better units. I think it would spice up the Sandbox just a tad bit then just simply conquer the world and all, but that's just another thought for you guys.

Historically, the capture of the Spartan prisoners at Pylos did result in a temporary truce with Athens but we may need to do more work to convey the significance of these actions. There are also cutscenes for the start and end of each new scenario that will ideally help explain the history further.

When your talking about the significance of these actions? You mean before Pylos or after you take Pylos? If you mean the latter, then that open field near Pylos should defiantly lead to an awesome climatic battle, since your basically towards the end of the scenario by the time you land there, so the moment will feel just right I think. However, if you also mean to improve the significance of the objectives before Pylos, then I'm all for that too, so I'm looking forward to what changes are going to be made down the line.

Also hard to believe that you guys are almost done with the Gold Expansion, and then we'll be talking about the sequel soon enough, hehe.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 3, 2010 at 6:11 pm

under enumerate i mean to write numbers over quick select icons 1,2...9,0

┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐
│ -1-   ││  -2-  ││  -3- ││   -4- ││   -5- ││   -6- ││   -7- ││   -8- ││  -9- ││  -0-  │
│        │ │        ││         ││        ││         ││        ││        │ │        ││        ││         │
└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘

Posted on November 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm

under enumerate i mean to write numbers over quick select icons 1,2...9,0

┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐
│ -1-   ││  -2-  ││  -3- ││   -4- ││   -5- ││   -6- ││   -7- ││   -8- ││  -9- ││  -0-  │
│        │ │        ││         ││        ││         ││        ││        │ │        ││        ││         │
└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘└───┘

Ah, I didn't realize what you meant because I thought it was already in there. The quick selects in Philip have numbers and I guess I hadn't noticed they were missing in gold. This has been fixed and will be in the next update.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 4, 2010 at 5:58 am

popup window when hovering mercenaries unit does not show upkeep cost, it alwayes 0

Pages 1 2 3