Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold: Phillip of Macedon Scenario Beginners Guide

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Gold: Phillip of Macedon Scenario Beginners Guide
Pages 1 2
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm

does this guide help much in the old campaign? (not gold alpha). I was following it a bit but I seem to have lost ya when you are leaving 4-5 unit of Phalangite to defend the homeland, when i cant even make 5 units of Phalangite total.

i spose i should just go download gold and give that a try! good guide anyways! :)

edit: downloaded the Gold and i definitely see the difference!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm

does this guide help much in the old campaign? (not gold alpha). I was following it a bit but I seem to have lost ya when you are leaving 4-5 unit of Phalangite to defend the homeland, when i cant even make 5 units of Phalangite total.

i spose i should just go download gold and give that a try! good guide anyways! :)

edit: downloaded the Gold and i definitely see the difference!

Hehe, yea, when I was writing this guide, it was with the assumption that you're playing Gold, since you can field much larger units over time.

I hope I can have another part up soon, just I've been so busy personally, that it's been rather difficult, but I feel what I initially have up, helps a new player out a lot, but if you got anymore questions feel free to ask em.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Mm, also on Alpha 5. Nice guide - couple of things about defence:

Never really found Edomene was under a serious attack that couldn't be dealt with by garrisoned forts and scavalry. Preferred leaving that to smaller groups of garrisoned spearmen rather than full phalanx (and anyway, they only burn some farms and those forts are well worth keeping occupied even after you've hit the Chalcidians and Odrysians).

I also took a lower-cost approach to defending Olooson - enemy armies there invariably run out of food before taking the city because there's no farms nearby and you can grab the occasional sheep and garrison them (giving the city a nice food stockpile) as soon as they pop, so I just garrisoned it with hoplites then used Thessalians or scouts to flatten the whole force. Admittedly you lose the mine income every now and then, but if you want to constantly defend both the city and the mine, you'll probably be using more additional forces than just an 80-cost phalanx for it anyway.

I agree Paeonia's probably the easiest start, not just for the mines but also because protecting those two Herakleia Lynceia mines from Paenian armies is a serious pain and often leaves you with a deficit which makes it hard to stop non-Macedon cities rebelling without tying up a phalanx until you can sort HL out and get 80 more slaves in from somewhere.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Tip for population.

When your core cities run out of population, build workers in other cities with population then move them to the cities that need pop. Change the unit's home to that city than disband the worker for 20 pop. I almost always have workers building and moving to Pella to keep my core army constantly fighting.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 21, 2010 at 5:55 pm

You can also just build the workers in the target city, setting their home cities to one of the smaller cities that you want to pull recruits from.

In that way, you pull recruits to the target city in the form of workers.

When you disband the worker, regardless of its home, its men are added to the recruit pool of the city it is disbanded in (as long as it is the same faction).

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 3, 2011 at 2:28 am

How useful are garrisons? I have been garrisoning all my towns in Macedonia, which is killing my pop cap. Just wondering if having a few towns actually garrisoned and just sending the units to assist is better than the standing army. If you have answered this I apologize, I did not want to search through it all atm

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Tip for population.

When your core cities run out of population, build workers in other cities with population then move them to the cities that need pop. Change the unit's home to that city than disband the worker for 20 pop. I almost always have workers building and moving to Pella to keep my core army constantly fighting.

How do I change the Slaves' home? And...forgive me for being lazy, the button to disband?

I found the button to disband but don't know about changing slaves' homes

Excellent suggestion , btw! And much thanks...

Level 7 Human Personal Trainer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 3, 2011 at 6:41 am

Just wanted to add my ten cents thanking MP84 for taking the time to write this beginners guide & to longbow et al for creating and improving it. It has to be the best purchase I have made games-wise in a long time.
I am going to restart the Phillip campaign using this guide as a reference, in my current game I face multiple (coordinated?) attacks from 3 points of the compass & at the edges of my empire. My army is being bled dry - and is of course spread wafer thin. I will take the advice of slowing down a little in particular, as it is not a timed event & I have been trying to do too much, with too little, too soon.
Really enjoying this - have not been challenged by a wargame like this in many a day. Well done to all concerned.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 16, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I just finished The POM Campaign and I too want to thank mp84 for steering me in the right Direction. After Paoenian campaign, I went and took the fort at Palaemon(just west of Paeonia) and let the Illyrians try to pass but they would always get depleted and rout; after that I went into Illyria and the rest is history.

There was only 2 blatant errors that I think the Devs should fix and they are:
1)On the Danube Campaign, I am asked to recruit 6 triremes at Roxolani
2)On the Danube Campaign, I am asked to recruit 6 triremes at Amantini.

The problem is that they are landlocked and the request is impossible to finish; if the Devs fixed this I could finish all the quests though one needs only to take Sparta for a year to see the final Video.

My profuse thanks to the Devs for this great game; it was very entertaining.
Best game ever...i,e. much more fun than Total war. Thanks so much What a game.!!
Looking forward to Hegemony:Rome

Level 7 Human Delivery Man!
Posted on November 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

But the river mouth is connected to the ocean. Move the triremes through the mouth and up the river.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

But the river mouth is connected to the ocean. Move the triremes through the mouth and up the river.

Good try but Amantini is too far removed from the Danube and is very LANDLOCKED.
I got 1 Trireme up to Roxolani but it didn't recognize the presence of the other trireme.

Again I think that is unnecessary to have triremes in these 2 regions; do the Devs really want us to move triremes up here? I don't think so and is something that shold be remedied to make this game even better, not flawed.

Level 7 Human Delivery Man!
Posted on November 18, 2011 at 12:27 am

Well I was able to do the objective. Admittedly the spot is not exactly next to the cities but you can use the objective line link to find the right spot to put this ships at.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 25, 2011 at 5:39 am

Well,currently i am playing the Philip campaign and i am not facing any real problems except maybe the "food problem", it's a bit disturbing.In any case i am very excited about the game ,it's really great. Could I propose a new campaign (as an add-on?),"Persian invasion to Greece" that led to the Greco-persian wars?
Great job guys to everybody involved in this game!Bravo!!!

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on March 31, 2014 at 4:56 am

Just a tip.

Keep 1-2 phalangites in Pella. Athens keeps raiding Pella with ships.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on April 4, 2014 at 5:58 am

Well in part 4, the Thessalians caught me off-guard while I moved into Paeonia. As I moved my armies out of Edomene the Thessalians took Tymphaia and Elimea. And they are now besieging Eordaea and Emathia. Pherae then took
from me Pydna, Methone, Dion and Aegeae. And the Chalcidians then took Therme, Borboros, Amphaxis, Crestonia and Mygdonia. It seems as if they are working together against me.

Pages 1 2