Skip navigation

Lavishing Praise

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Lavishing Praise
Level 9 Human Gem hunter
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on October 24, 2010 at 3:35 am

I feel like Hegemony Gold is really turning out to be a huge improvement on an already fantastic game, something I didn't think could be done. I can honestly say that this is the best RTS I have ever played. In my mind this tops all of the AoE series ( which was and is excellent), and just about every knock off thereof.

I had an idea about an RTS game knocking around my head for a few years now where you could seamlessly go from strategic to tactical view, set in ancient Greece, and I feel like you guys just stole the idea out of my brain. I don't think I could have designed this any better myself f asked to design my perfect game.

I look forward to purchasing more games from Longbow, especially if they are in the same vein as Hegemony. I've been recommending this game to everyone I think might be interested, so I hope I can drum up some business for you guys. I always love supporting the indie developers, especially when they churn out such awesome games.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Much appreciated. Everybody's feedback has been extremely helpful and we hope to be able to continue refining Hegemony as long as we can.

Level 9 Human Salesman
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

Totally agree with the OP here, Hegemony is the best new game I'd never heard of, and one of the most unique and certainly the most enjoyable RTS I've played in YEARS. Love that you guys are a 5 man team! And I LOVE that your army pathfinding, amazingly, doesn't suck.

Kudos to making the slowest RTS in years :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm

agree with the OP. i can't remember the last time I had this much fun with an RTS. Absolutely awesome game. I can pass an afternoon away just raiding enemy farms and trade routes and still have fun. throw in actual campaigning and it is truly an epic game. well done!

Level 9 Human Cyborg
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

agree with the OP. i can't remember the last time I had this much fun with an RTS. Absolutely awesome game. I can pass an afternoon away just raiding enemy farms and trade routes and still have fun. throw in actual campaigning and it is truly an epic game. well done!

I've been waiting for a good RTS game since AoE2/Medieval 2 (I don't really like gunpowder era games, I prefer Medeival/Bronze/Ancient Greek/Rome era type games) and finally I've found one. This game is truly fun. First night I played it for like 8 hours straight, second night like 10. It felt like time went by so fast, clock says it's like 2100, next thing I know it's 0400.

Level 9 Human Salesman
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, I got the game yesterday, put in 4 or 5 hours than (only played gold, but I read about the old combat model and am very happy for the changes!) and then read a bunch of stuff on the forums, realized I had learned a ton of stuff and restarted today - Usually I would *hate* re-doing tutorial levels, but in H:PoM it's no big deal because it's what makes sense to do anyhow. I love that on the one hand in order to support my expansion I need to pull in my first string units and go a warrin', but doing so leaves me with only my 2nd string (mostly spearmen lol) to defend against the absolute hornets nest that surrounds your starting location. I love that units mean something, and that the AI seems to understand that as well - I relish chasing down my enemy and then using the captives to build walls around all my native cities - Especially knowing that for every unit I capture or execute, it'll add at least another 5-10 (and in the case of some areas alot more) before I have to deal with defending that front again.

Seriously guys, if you can figure out how to make this play as well in multi ya'll gonna be famous. This is the paradigm shift the RTS genre has been screaming for!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2010 at 8:51 pm

agree andy. the best part is the management of your kingdom. figuring out what units should go where. how many units you can take on campaign and what you should leave behind. and yeah, the slave part is a good idea. i always send them to the mines!

after spending the weekend with the original game i got off steam, I grabbed gold last night and have had a very fun game as the Paeonians. They have great cavalry and I have been raiding all of northern greece.

the whole idea of raiding, farms, food and forts is so awesome. there is so much depth to this game that any standard rts doesnt have.