Skip navigation

Alpha 4: about Diplomacy, is the pricing right?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Alpha 4: about Diplomacy, is the pricing right?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hmm,

Just a thought, but I really find the diplomacy prices on some of these factions way to expensive, even when you pretty much have the faction on it's knees, with like maybe 2-3 cities left (And over an 85-100 intimidation), they still demand an obscene amount of money for a truce. I mean, I have the Candalonion League (misspelling I know, but the faction directly East of Pella)to about just their 2 coastal cities past the Xerxes Canal, and they still want over 600 gold for a truce?

That's a bit much, I think, again this is not gamebreaking, but just a thought, as while the diplomacy feature is very nice, I just don't feel an investment of 600 gold is worth it, as basically I can recruit 7 infantry units for that same cost, and just wipe them out, which would be cheaper in the end, but I feel like be merciful at times, hehe.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on October 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I'm totally open to reducing the cost of truces/alliances. The current values are just ones that I estimated when writing the code and I was planning to revise them based on play testing. As far as the intimidation is concerned, it currently has two components: half being based on the total relative strengths of the two factions and the other half based on the immediate threat to either of the faction's cities. I could make it the max of the two factors so that eliminating them down to their last city could max the intimidation and/or bringing an important city of their to the verge of capture could as well.

Just reposting my response from the news forum about diplomacy cost.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I think that diplomacy is overpriced too.
If enemy is weak, we should be able to demand money for peace.

Level 8 Human Salesman
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm

If you're talking intimidation, than the results of recent battles between the two sides could be a meaningful factor. Maybe compare the man-for-man losses between the two factions within the last ten minutes, and if the difference between them is greater than, say, 20; for every man beyond 20 adds one point of intimidation.

The whole "one giant scaling map" concept is so powerful, you can make just a ton of different wildly interesting multiplayer and single player games based off the technology. You guys looking to expand soon?