Skip navigation

Sandbox Bug Alpha 2 *suggestions*

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Sandbox Bug Alpha 2 *suggestions*
Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I've noticed that while playing the Alpha 2 in sandbox mode (I played as Argos) That there are certain times when an enemy is attacking my city, occasionally when the enemy company is defeated, their icons in the strategic map remain in place near my city. They are companies with 0 men, if you go and find their home cities you can find their icon there in gray, with no morale, no food, and zero men, but still deployed. There is no way to defeat them that I am aware of, but they have the nasty habit of blocking roads.

I'm not entirely sure how to duplicate this, It happened to me twice, once while being attacked from the Elesian League in the city of Tryphilia which I had conquered from the Arcadians. It happened again when I came back to the game after saving it, and made an alliance with the Macedons and gained control of their cities as allies, at Therme with Chalcidian troops attacking me. I think it only happens when it is just the city defending, no troops outside of the city. I'll see if I can look into it tonight and try and pinpoint the cause of this.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I've noticed that while playing the Alpha 2 in sandbox mode (I played as Argos) That there are certain times when an enemy is attacking my city, occasionally when the enemy company is defeated, their icons in the strategic map remain in place near my city. They are companies with 0 men, if you go and find their home cities you can find their icon there in gray, with no morale, no food, and zero men, but still deployed. There is no way to defeat them that I am aware of, but they have the nasty habit of blocking roads.

I'm not entirely sure how to duplicate this, It happened to me twice, once while being attacked from the Elesian League in the city of tryphaltia(sp?) which I had conquered from the Arcadians, I think it was the city just east of Olympia. It happened again when I came back to the game after saving it, and made an alliance with the Macedons and gained control of their cities as allies, near Boroboros, whatever city is just southeast of that, with Chalcidian troops attacking me. I think it only happens when it is just the city defending, no troops outside of the city. I'll see if I can look into it tonight and try and pinpoint the cause of this.

In happens in Alpha 3 as well. Ghost units near cities or forts, visible on the large map but not there.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info, it is one of the major outstanding bugs right now. We're looking into it and will post when we know more.

Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I also have a few more bugs I've noticed.

1) When the seas routes get stopped from the season changing to winter, I've noticed that my food in a city with nothing but a sea route supplying it keeps going up. I roll over the info on food consumption/production, and it says the route is blocked by stormy seas, but my food supply continues to go up.

2) This may be a long standing bug with the AI since I noticed it in the original game, but the AI likes to march troops out in to the middle of nowhere and leave them there without supply. Usually I just wait till they're out of food and morale to attack, or I even leave them there if they're out of the way, since it stops the AI from launching any more attacks, because presumably they still haven't finished that one.

3) This is less of a bug and more of something I would like to see, when I send a trireme out with food on it and land it outside of a city, there is no way to offload the food onto, say slaves, and take it anywhere. I have to move military units nearby to take the food into their own supply, and that isn't a very efficient way to move food around. I was wondering if there could be an option for slaves or workers to collect food from triremes and take it with them.

4) Again, not so much a bug, but something I would like to see: when an enemy trireme attacks me, most of the time both ships go down at the exact same time. Would there be a way to give ships a veteran type system like land units, maybe with options form more speed, more carrying capacity for food, stronger attacks, stronger defense, etc. Right now naval warfare is mostly a numbers game on how many ships you have vs them, and hitting the turbo button at the right time at the right angle.

Hope this feedback is helpful.

Posted on October 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I couldn't duplicate the problem with sea routes. Do you have a save game that exhibits the problem?

The AI does get stuck sometimes when it changes its mind. I do hope to spend some more time on the AI soon.

I'll add an option to pickup food from triremes, slaves or workers like there is from cities.

Ship combat has been extended a fair bit in the latest build. Although it has technically always been the case, I've made the importance of speed and impact direction more obvious as well as improved movement accuracy and added a sprint like the land units have. Like most things, I hope to be able to improve it further to add more tactics to naval combat.

Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I can replicate this problem, but it doesn't seem to be there when I reload the savegame, so I'm not sure how to go about sharing it with you. I can still send you the savegame and how I found the bug if you want.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Can you reliably replicate it? If you can give us instructions on how to definitely make it happen, that's the most useful kind of bug report a programmer could wish for. A useful reproduction recipe usually looks something like this:

1) Load attached save game.
2) Wait until winter.
3) Hover over the trade route from Methone to Athens.

Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Ok, It happens between two cities every winter, so I'll send it along.

Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

One more bug I've found with triremes, I think this might be a new bug because there wasn't a problem with it in the original Hegemony.

When I land a trireme outside of a city with troops in it, if the troops are in the middle of getting off the trireme and the trireme gets destroyed, the rest of the troops keep getting off of the destroyed trireme. Before it just cut the brigade to whatever men got off the ship, and the rest died. Now you can get a whole brigade of Spartan hoplites off if only one of the men made it to shore.

I also sent an email with the savegame and how I went about making the bug with the sea routs to Rob, so I hope it works for you guys and that you get it figured out.

Posted on October 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I've confirmed the sea routes bug and a fix will be included in the next update.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I've confirmed the sea routes bug and a fix will be included in the next update.

Hopefully the fort bug will be soon be on the list as well, as I just encountered it again just moments ago, luckily I've been quick saving a lot so I have a save that is only a few minutes back.

However, I now have some saves that could help possibly, one where the 2nd fort bug occurred for me, and the another right before it's going to happen from a few units waiting to the siege the fort that it wants to take. (which in turn became a ghost unit once I killed all the units there)

Shall I send those two save game files if it helps? And again if so, then where should I send them?

Posted on October 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Although I think I've fixed the ghost unit bug I was never able to reproduce it in a debug build so I can't say I've got it for sure. If you've got a savegame where it's about to happen that would be extremely helpful.

Generally all bug related stuff can be sent to me at rob@longbowgames.com as I'm primarily the one fixing them right now. However, if it goes to anybody else here they will also forward it along to me.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Although I think I've fixed the ghost unit bug I was never able to reproduce it in a debug build so I can't say I've got it for sure. If you've got a savegame where it's about to happen that would be extremely helpful.

Generally all bug related stuff can be sent to me at rob@longbowgames.com as I'm primarily the one fixing them right now. However, if it goes to anybody else here they will also forward it along to me.

Sure thing I'll send ya the saves file with minor details on sometime tonight.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I actually encountered one in Thermon, but fixed it by letting the city rebel and give the "ghost" some troops then killed it, let the survivors enter Thermon, and took it back again.

Edit: Just had a thought. This happened in my regular Hegemony game, but it wasn't game-breaking because the unit could regenerate right where it turned ghost. It can't do that now because of the blocked supply lines, so now you have a perma-ghost unit. Is there some way to give a city to another faction? Letting the unit resupply so you can chase it off and re-take the settlement will fix the problem.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I actually encountered one in Thermon, but fixed it by letting the city rebel and give the "ghost" some troops then killed it, let the survivors enter Thermon, and took it back again.

Edit: Just had a thought. This happened in my regular Hegemony game, but it wasn't game-breaking because the unit could regenerate right where it turned ghost. It can't do that now because of the blocked supply lines, so now you have a perma-ghost unit. Is there some way to give a city to another faction? Letting the unit resupply so you can chase it off and re-take the settlement will fix the problem.

What's the console command to give a unit more men? The rebel feature may be a problem for me only because the place where the ghost unit is, is near Oloosson, and they can never rebel, lol. So perhaps if I can somehow add units, then kill it again maybe it will disappear.

In the meantime, I have just been saving before every major siege battle that happens, so if the bug does occur, I usually just reload the battle and do it again. Which is still very minimal, in my 27 hours of playthrough in this alpha 3 game, it's only happened twice, but did send the save game file never the less.