Skip navigation

Alpha 3 minor issues and suggestions possibly..

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Alpha 3 minor issues and suggestions possibly..
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 10, 2010 at 11:49 pm

So I decided to try out the Gold release, and I must say lot of potential here, even in the original scenario, something as simple as changing the way pop limit works puts a whole new dynamic to the scenario.

Now I did notice some minor bugs as I continue to play here:

1) There seems to be some weird pathfinding issue when a supply cart comes your way, and you move a unit at the same time. All of sudden, my units just stand still, and it takes a little bit more clicking to finally get them on their way. It seems to me this more noticeable when using multistack option to move units.

2) The Home City option, not sure if this is working as intended, or maybe I'm misunderstanding it, as I thought if I click that button, then I can change where their home city is based out of, but so far it doesn't seem to be doing anything but trying to make a supply route instead. (Edit2: It seems to be just the interface button that's the problem, as the wheel option gives me the option from a city does not give me a problem)

In terms of suggestions, I think your going in the right direction, however, here are some thoughts:

1) I would increase the population regeneration just a bit, as man some cities really go slllllooowwww in the pop increase. I think maybe 10-15% more should probably do the trick in my eyes, and still keep the big battles pretty decisive for awhile.

2) The big pop cap on Calvary seems a little to high. I mean 12 for scout cavalry is pretty hefty especially since their only good against Peltast Companies most of the time. As for the Thessalian Cavarly, I really don't think their pop cap should be 40, but lower, as right now they got the same limit as Hopolites, yet they can't stand toe to toe with them at all unless with some good flanking maneuvers, but even then you need your own line infantry to do be able to accomplish that.

3) Not sure if I like the provinces rebel even without walls now, not for me per say, but for the AI. As it seems the AI doesn't like to garrison some cities properly and what would happen is the city would rebel, and thus turn over to me. Which is nice and all, but when I'm not focusing on that area, to have an extra city to deal with, and perhaps invite more enemies to attack from that direction can be a little annoying. However, if through work the AI can be programed better to garrison it's city (at least with basic spearman), then I don't think it should be problem having the rebellion the way it is.

4) I started playing the Athens scenario, and may god was a huge smack in the face compared to Phiilip in terms of how many cities you control from the beginning. Took a little adjusting, but not so bad in the end, and I can get use to it. The main problem I have with that scenario at the moment, is the Objectives are not as condensed and rapid like the Phillip Scenario. Now I am totally aware this is Alpha and perhaps more will be added, but if not, then I highly recommend to add more objectives, as the scenario can be a really drag in the beginning with just one initial 3 tier objective. Also after I finished that series of objectives, nothing happened, so I assume I probably have go into Thebes and start conquering to open up more, but to me I think there should be more flow to the objectives, like basically the way it is in the Phillip scenario, which is very fluid. However, this is just a suggestion, and I'm sure more be will worked on in time, however, I figured I would let you know :)

Edit: Ohh another suggestion:

5) Nice move on removing the Villas related to Generals, however, in turn it makes those little pieces of ruins on the map kind of worthless now. I'm sure it would probably get removed soon enough on the map, but overall, perhaps you can keep them and just change their bonus? Maybe, they can give a nice pop increase or something to whatever city their connected to? Also, it seems since those villas are now unaccessable what you have now as little pockets where the FoW is still clearly visible, which can be a minor annoyance when trekking slaves through. (Very minor though as it's small pockets, so a slave shouldn't be able to rebel when moving through and all)

That's all for now, hope this feedback helps.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 4:05 am

1) I would increase the population regeneration just a bit, as man some cities really go slllllooowwww in the pop increase. I think maybe 10-15% more should probably do the trick in my eyes, and still keep the big battles pretty decisive for awhile.

It is very slow now, but for me this created the best opening ever. I've started to expand towards Illyria and out of sudden a tribal cavalry sortie hit me when my brigades were slowly recharging. I sent the only mobile reserve - the Companions (15) but they were beaten. I looked in horror when a single tribal cavalry and an archer brigade took over half a dozen of my fully manned mines and destroyed a lot of farms and watchtowers. Annoying but fair. Later in the game I've never had any problems with the lack of manpower. You have to learn to rest you brigades after taking a couple of cities/fighting some battles.

Some of the things I've noticed:

1.The ghost enemy units around your cities/forts. They are visible on the big map but there's nothing there. They still block the supply to the cities/forts. That seems to happen when the AI besieges you and gets wiped out.
2. AI doesn't seem to know about the new pop limits linked to the cities. I've seen them creating a lot of pelasts when no manpower was available resulting in 6 1/10 units being formed in the city with 0/40 pop
3. Aristotle to Pella causes a major crash with the new general
4. Building walls does not increase the income.

Overall it's a brilliant expansion. I like:
1. the new pop system,
2. that the northern tribes take sheep with them when they go harrasing me. Larrisa on the other hand sends hungry army and they stay with low morale around the 2 forts waiting to be captured,
3. the garrison is now needed even without walls. The food is more important not only for the front cities but also for the rest as with no food you get rebellions pretty fast. I had that with former Chalcidian league cities as some of them were only connected by sea routes and in the winter were not getting any food.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm

1) There seems to be some weird pathfinding issue when a supply cart comes your way, and you move a unit at the same time. All of sudden, my units just stand still, and it takes a little bit more clicking to finally get them on their way. It seems to me this more noticeable when using multistack option to move units.

I'm aware of some collision issues in the past where units can't get close enough to an enemy ox-cart to kill it which causes them to get stuck. Is that what you're talking about?

2) The Home City option, not sure if this is working as intended, or maybe I'm misunderstanding it, as I thought if I click that button, then I can change where their home city is based out of, but so far it doesn't seem to be doing anything but trying to make a supply route instead. (Edit2: It seems to be just the interface button that's the problem, as the wheel option gives me the option from a city does not give me a problem)

Right now, the only way to change a unit's home city is to select the unit and right-click on the new city and select change home city. I do hope to add a button in the bottom-right panel when the unit is in the new city.

The pop regen rate is tied to the size of the city, I could even it out a little so the discrepancy betwen the small and large cities wasn't so great.

The big pop cap on Calvary seems a little to high. I mean 12 for scout cavalry is pretty hefty especially since their only good against Peltast Companies most of the time. As for the Thessalian Cavarly, I really don't think their pop cap should be 40, but lower, as right now they got the same limit as Hopolites, yet they can't stand toe to toe with them at all unless with some good flanking maneuvers, but even then you need your own line infantry to do be able to accomplish that.

Fair point. We were trying to revert to a similar pop to guy ratio as they used to have but we might be able to put it somewhere in the middle.

Not sure if I like the provinces rebel even without walls now, not for me per say, but for the AI. As it seems the AI doesn't like to garrison some cities properly and what would happen is the city would rebel, and thus turn over to me. Which is nice and all, but when I'm not focusing on that area, to have an extra city to deal with, and perhaps invite more enemies to attack from that direction can be a little annoying. However, if through work the AI can be programed better to garrison it's city (at least with basic spearman), then I don't think it should be problem having the rebellion the way it is.

Yep, the AI hasn't been updated on all the new rules yet and should get better in the next few updates.

4) I started playing the Athens scenario, and may god was a huge smack in the face compared to Phiilip in terms of how many cities you control from the beginning. Took a little adjusting, but not so bad in the end, and I can get use to it. The main problem I have with that scenario at the moment, is the Objectives are not as condensed and rapid like the Phillip Scenario. Now I am totally aware this is Alpha and perhaps more will be added, but if not, then I highly recommend to add more objectives, as the scenario can be a really drag in the beginning with just one initial 3 tier objective. Also after I finished that series of objectives, nothing happened, so I assume I probably have go into Thebes and start conquering to open up more, but to me I think there should be more flow to the objectives, like basically the way it is in the Phillip scenario, which is very fluid. However, this is just a suggestion, and I'm sure more be will worked on in time, however, I figured I would let you know :)

The Archidamian campaign wasn't actually supposed to be available yet since most of it hasn't been turned on yet. However, we did take a different approach with it than Philip so you will find the final set of objectives is more spread out with targets based on specific historical battles and events. Our thought was that if you want to capture everything on the map than the sandbox mode covers that well.

5) Nice move on removing the Villas related to Generals, however, in turn it makes those little pieces of ruins on the map kind of worthless now. I'm sure it would probably get removed soon enough on the map, but overall, perhaps you can keep them and just change their bonus? Maybe, they can give a nice pop increase or something to whatever city their connected to? Also, it seems since those villas are now unaccessable what you have now as little pockets where the FoW is still clearly visible, which can be a minor annoyance when trekking slaves through. (Very minor though as it's small pockets, so a slave shouldn't be able to rebel when moving through and all)

The villas were a very macedonian/philip specific mechanic that didn't translate into the sandbox or the new campaigns so we thought it was simpler just to remove it. In the current build the villas have been replaced with non-interactive static ruins like you'll find elsewhere on the map.

1.The ghost enemy units around your cities/forts. They are visible on the big map but there's nothing there. They still block the supply to the cities/forts. That seems to happen when the AI besieges you and gets wiped out.

Sorry, that is a known bug that will hopefully be fixed shortly.

2. AI doesn't seem to know about the new pop limits linked to the cities. I've seen them creating a lot of pelasts when no manpower was available resulting in 6 1/10 units being formed in the city with 0/40 pop

As I said before, the AI hasn't been updated on the new rules yet so it should get better shortly.

Aristotle to Pella causes a major crash with the new general

Thanks for the info. Is that when you complete the quest?

Building walls does not increase the income.

It actually costs money now proportional to the size of the city to account for the fact it used to require population to defend the walls.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm

awesome feedback there thank you:

I'm aware of some collision issues in the past where units can't get close enough to an enemy ox-cart to kill it which causes them to get stuck. Is that what you're talking about?

I was actually referring to your own Ox-carts and not the enemies. It seems, when your own Ox-Cart gets close to a unit that's coming out of a building an entering a narrow path (A good test of this is the little water bridge from Agaea to the 2nd city that your able to capture), the unit freezes and pretty much doesn't do anything, unless you do a couple of more clicks to finally get it moving.

Looking forward to those updates mentioned :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

I have installed the new Alpha version 3 I believe, however when I load it up the resolution is terrible so I go to change the resolution, however whenever I change the resolution I cant see the text to keep the resolution at the changed one, it seems the text box goes beyond the vertical limits for the screen, and I just see the bottom of the text and the second timer before the change, and thus every 10 seconds it reverts back. I have tried this for every resolution, is there any manual way to change the resolution as atm it is terrible and I cant read or see anything properly, I have tried reinstalling the game multiple times.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 11:15 am

I have installed the new Alpha version 3 I believe, however when I load it up the resolution is terrible so I go to change the resolution, however whenever I change the resolution I cant see the text to keep the resolution at the changed one, it seems the text box goes beyond the vertical limits for the screen, and I just see the bottom of the text and the second timer before the change, and thus every 10 seconds it reverts back. I have tried this for every resolution, is there any manual way to change the resolution as atm it is terrible and I cant read or see anything properly, I have tried reinstalling the game multiple times.

Yea, I had this problem too, I thought the problem was fixed, but I guess not. However, when you first double click on the launcher, in the options menu you should see a change resolution button there, and it can be set there without any problems.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Cheers