Skip navigation

A way to rotate map using the edge screen?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A way to rotate map using the edge screen?
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hey Everyone,

first off, fantastic game, was bored a couple of days and was looking for something to play, then I encountered this, and my is it entertaining ;)..

I can only imagine how the sequels will be especially if the devs decide to do Rome, which is my favorite ancient period, hehe. Now I do have a question, if someone can help about the way the map is rotated. I noticed it's basically only through using the alt-key, then moving the mouse, I don't know, I'm a little spoiled in that I prefer a simple rotating the map via the edge screens, so I'm wondering is that possible? Or may something the devs can think about implementing this in the future?

As for the devs, looking forward to more games from you guys, so keep up the great work :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm

You can always use "q" and "e" to rotate. It's much quicker IMO.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Well,

The thing is Q and E is rather difficult for me to use only because I'm a lefty, and just use to using keys on the right side of the keyboard instead :)

I'll see if I can unbind those keys to the right side if that helps, but last time I tried to keybind different keys it really didn't let me do it, but I'll try again.

thanks,

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on October 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Here's some other ways you can rotate:

* Hold down the Alt key and move your mouse.
* Hold down the fourth mouse button (if you have one) and move your mouse.
* Hold down mouse 1+2 and move your mouse.

Hope that helps.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Here's some other ways you can rotate:

* Hold down the Alt key and move your mouse.
* Hold down the fourth mouse button (if you have one) and move your mouse.
* Hold down mouse 1+2 and move your mouse.

Hope that helps.

I was aware of the Alt key one, and that's what I use most of the time, however, I wasn't aware of the other two, so I'll try those. In the end I think it may lead to the same problem I usually encounter when I use the mouse like that. As my hands are never as steady, so I sometimes zoom in and out unintentionally while I'm rotating the map which can be rather annoying. Hence why I prefer the edge rotate screen (if it's naturally possible)

Thank you for the response though.

Posted on October 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I had considered something like an edge rotate when I was writing the controls, but there didn't seem to be enough demand for it. I might play around with it for the sequel.

Have you played any other games with that feature? I seem to recall one where the bottom half of the screen was used for rotation and the top half was for panning, but I can't recall which game it was.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I had considered something like an edge rotate when I was writing the controls, but there didn't seem to be enough demand for it. I might play around with it for the sequel.

Have you played any other games with that feature? I seem to recall one where the bottom half of the screen was used for rotation and the top half was for panning, but I can't recall which game it was.

Hmm, in a full blown old school RTS game like "Age of Empires" or "Starcraft II", etc.. I don't think I've encountered that. However, I do believe "World in Conflict" had a pretty nice rotating angle that you could use which worked really well and that's an RTS game.

The other games that I know have it, is naturally the Total War series in their battles, and not sure if you heard of them, but from Neocore Games, "King Arthur" had a rotate feature within their battles as well.

As to the current options available in Phillip, holding both mouse buttons is a lot better then the other ones I will say that, however, being able to rotate via the edge screens is much more efficient especially in this type of game where you have one giant map, and there's a lot of edges and corners to be concerned about. However, if rotating the map comes at the expense of not being able to move in any direction via the mouse edge screen, then please don't consider that as I would much rather prefer to just have both options available, but at the same time I don't know how difficult it would be to program both in your features for that. It is most defiantly a sequel idea most likely, so hope this helps.

Posted on October 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Ah, I forgot that Total War and King Arthur did that. I always found their camera controls atrocious, so I never use them as inspiration :)

We'll see what I have time to do. I'm never opposed to adding more options. Even the way edge panning works now can be changed in the options screen to be the default "push" style, the more traditional "auto pan", and being turned off completely.

And I'm really hoping to find time to allow you to change your controls in-game, instead of having to edit that xml file. I've already done about 80% of the work to make that happen.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 2:11 am

Sounds cool, can't wait, I will say in the options screen I use "Auto" for the pan, because manual the scrolling just goes waaay to fast, so please do keep that option :)

Ohh, now the Total War camera angles are not to bad I think, however, you right about KA, even though you can rotate the map, the angle camera itself is pretty terrible, lol.