Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold Alpha 2 Now Available! Update: Alpha 3!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold Alpha 2 Now Available! Update: Alpha 3!
Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 7, 2010 at 2:39 am

If you've been following Hegemony Gold, be sure to download the new build. This update includes some new features and lots of bug fixes. Unfortunately, this new build will break any saved games you've created while playing alpha 1, but alas, such is the cost of being on the bleeding edge.

As always, we appreciate any and all of your comments, so head over to the forums and let us know what you think, or just email me directly with your thoughts.

Update: There was a bug in Alpha 2 that made kill quests impossible to complete, so the download link now points to a new alpha 3 build.

Keep reading to see what's changed.

Changes:

* The documentation has been updated, and should now explain the new features properly.
* All the factions are now playable in sandbox mode.
* Villas and the general pool have been dropped; now you receive your generals as soon as you complete the related quest.
* Triremes and catapults now require recruits, and return to their home when defeated just like every other unit.
* Captured cities now start out with 75% of their recruits.
* Instead of getting maximum morale for being close to home, units now receive a defensive buff for being close to friendly fortifications.
* Healing shrines now allow a unit to recruit in the field as though it was in its home city.
* Tonnes of bug fixes.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on October 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Awesome! :) Thanks Rick and the rest of the team.
Really enjoyed Hegemony, and this Gold version is shaping up to be very impressive also.

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on October 11, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Awesome! :) Thanks Rick and the rest of the team.
Really enjoyed Hegemony, and this Gold version is shaping up to be very impressive also.

well!, if it isn't Dave K7 from TM ;)

what brought you here today to post about hegemony since your long inactivity on TM?
------------------------------------------
And by the way......

i also can't wait to check hegemony gold out.

the only reason i haven't downloaded and played hegemony, is due to its instability and the fact its still a beta (or alpha now.

i want a complete version of hegemony that is as stable as TM.

so far hegemony gold looks worthy enough to be a good stable release.

i'll let you all know what i think *if* i play it!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 2:09 am

I just want to say Hegemony: Gold is great! However there is one small, tiny, teensy quibble: The Corinthian Alliance isn't available in Sandbox mode, at least not that I can find :P
I love how more challenging the gameplay is now with the recruitment pools. I almost Aegeae to the Athenians because of it.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Oops! We must have missed that one. It'll be in the next build.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm

TrackMania?

what brought you here today to post about hegemony since your long inactivity on TM?
I saw Hegemony demoed waaaay back at PAX 07, haha, and I'm pretty sure I have one of their badges. :D I've been following it ever since and did purchase it on Impulse. :)

Posted on October 14, 2010 at 8:54 pm

TrackMania?

I saw Hegemony demoed waaaay back at PAX 07, haha, and I'm pretty sure I have one of their badges. :D I've been following it ever since and did purchase it on Impulse. :)

No, Tread Marks ;(

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 8:41 am

No, Tread Marks ;(

Ahh, sorry :(

A couple of things I have noticed on this latest version:

1) When hovering over a couple of my cities, the food yield flicks quickly between + and - numbers.

2) When laying siege to an enemy city, a few of my troops are 'out of place'. Not actually next to the city, but a distance away, still doing the animation of sieging.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

No, Tread Marks ;(

A couple of things I have noticed on this latest version:

1) When hovering over a couple of my cities, the food yield flicks quickly between + and - numbers.

2) When laying siege to an enemy city, a few of my troops are 'out of place'. Not actually next to the city, but a distance away, still doing the animation of sieging.

I can help explain the first one: Your city is merely switching between modes of supply. When a city is attached to another it will send supplies until city #2 is full. When city #2 is full then city #1 goes back to normal production. It flickers rapidly because city #2 does not have an alternate mode of supply such as a farm, so city #1 is resting and supplying in rapid sequence.
I hope that makes sense :P

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Ahhh, I see, thank you for the explanation. :)
I've setup my empire so each and every city has at least one farm attached to it, with cities joined together. Mines are linked to the nearest city. Is this the best method?

Posted on October 16, 2010 at 12:01 am

No, Tread Marks ;(

That's what i thought, and is what i expected from a short-time player.

------

I've read some more about hegemony, and it sounds good so far.

i'll wait a bit longer to see how many
unidentified errors will appear along with the paragraphs of and\or endless feedback from users of suggestions,comments and everything else people are talking about

anyways

thank you for your hard work LDA, hegemony is an extremely complex game still being developed. and is a great example to all other major video game companies that independent gaming companies will never die and are MORE successful, for LDA does not need hundreds of programmers to produce an awesome game that can make some good money.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on October 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I really enjoy the sandbox mode so far. Great job. I am not posting much, but I have one suggestion. Right now upgrading units is kind of a pain. The direct way of searching the battlefield is slow and tedious, but then, there is the Assets tool. It is too bad though, that I always have to scroll to the right to see if a unit can be upgraded or not (well not directly, but I see how many skillpoints it has, which not always means that it can be upgraded). Unless I am missing some easy way to find upgradable units, I'd like this to be easily visible in the assets tool without scrolling. Also the scrolling could go away for me completely, since I do have widescreen and it would probably fit all in one window. :)

Edit: I noticed that it is barely visible without scrolling to the side.
On a sidenote, I have problems with the marching sound of troops. The footsteps can be very loud at times. Forgot if I reported that already. :/

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 31, 2010 at 12:56 am

I was happy enough workin' away at 'Phil of Mac' and doin' alright when Steam decided to upload an update to 'Gold'. Now I can't play 'P of M' nor the saves from game time up till that point! Not happy now! I've tried Sandbox, but most factions crash (esp. Boetian/Spartan) at some point in their play time! I do have other games to play if this one won't!! I have lost 50 or more hours of game time so far, and now i'm to start all over again with the possibility of 'plagues' of bugs? Dave...

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 31, 2010 at 1:50 am

User #62652, sorry you're having trouble. I'm not entirely clear what is going wrong. Were you playing the regular 'Hegemony: Philip of Macedon' or were you playing the Philip campaign in 'Hegemony Gold'? How was Steam involved?

If you were playing the original Hegemony:Philip of Macedon then it should install and run completely independently of Gold. If you were playing Gold I am sorry we may not have been clear but the versions we've put out so far are pre-release versions for testing and since the features are still in flux we can't guarantee save games will continue to work between versions. If you've really put a lot of time into a game under gold I can looking into updating it manually if you want to send me the savegame (rob@longbowgames.com).

If you have been playing an early version of Gold I do recommend upgrading to version 6 as we've refined things a lot since then and you should also find it a lot more stable (i'm only aware of one confirmed crash and it's easy to avoid).

Again, sorry for the problems and let me know what I can do.