Skip navigation

New features??

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > New features??
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Hegemony Philip of Macedon has all of the basics of a real time strategy game, and frankly, it is in my top games, but I seems like something is missing...

One big factor to the game is food. Farms produce very little and soon enough, cities run out of the resource, and armies starve. I believe if another version or patch comes out, this should be taken into consideration. Maybe put another source of food into the game. Sheep help a ton, but there are very little of them, and they come only once in a while. Maybe the game should allow players to build their own farms, or raise their own cattle??? I know you need to carefully manage your food to overcome this problem, but soon enough, you are not fighting for your nation, but rather you are struggling to feed it.

Population is another thing that could be improved. It is possible to fight your enemies with the current population limits in this game, but it becomes a bother when you have to hold several fronts. Maybe more migrants could be added to the game, or they could appear just like sheep, once a year.

Overall though, I am enjoying the game and it seems like it has potential to stand out in the future.

Level 8 Human Contractor
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 6, 2010 at 9:25 am

Personally I think the food/population is well balanced. Some areas have easy access to farm food and are therefore easy to hold on to. Others are in remote areas that do not have any direct farms around them and I find that if I want to wall and garrison those cities I have to make sure that I send sufficient sheep flocks to those towns.

The reason I like the game so much is that the focus is taken away from resource gathering/production to resource management. You are only given so many units and food and it is up to you to allocate these resources where you thing they are needed.I think introducing more of either food or units (migrants) would just make the game way to easy where you can just steamroll your enemies on multiple fronts.

And speaking of multiple fronts that is the worst place you can put yourself in to. I am in such a position and it is a bloody can of worms I opened.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Here's some things you can do to reduce the amount of food you need:

* Build less troops. Remember that unwalled cities will not rebel, so that's a good way to reduce the number of troops you need.
* Keep your unused troops in cities, or keep them camped. This way they'll use less food.
* Capture logistics shrines. This will reduce the food consumption for all units and cities nearby.
* When units level up, spend your skill points on higher logistics. This will also reduce their food consumption.
* Use the asset list to locate cities with lots of food. This usually means you have a pocket of cities that isn't connected to the rest of your supply network.

Hope that helps.

Level 8 Human QA Tester
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 12, 2010 at 7:09 am

I personally am in the situation of having massive stores of gold, and not enough population points. And that whole multiple fronts thing? I have one thing to say: screw Athens. Screw them and their damn ships dropping troops into what would otherwise be completely safe territory. They force me to keep a bunch of units is Pella and the other starting cities that I could otherwise allocate to fighting off the silly numbers of Thessalians trying to take my forts. Oh, what's that? The Iryllians are burning all my farms? Fantastic.

Level 8 Human Contractor
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I personally am in the situation of having massive stores of gold, and not enough population points. And that whole multiple fronts thing? I have one thing to say: screw Athens. Screw them and their damn ships dropping troops into what would otherwise be completely safe territory. They force me to keep a bunch of units is Pella and the other starting cities that I could otherwise allocate to fighting off the silly numbers of Thessalians trying to take my forts. Oh, what's that? The Iryllians are burning all my farms? Fantastic.

I have a bone to pick with Athens and their damn ships. Illyrians I have dealt with already and wiped them all out so my norhern border is secure. It's the east and south that are really keeping me pinned down. East by food shortages, rebelling cities and those damn Athenian ships and south by too many Thessalay armies pushing me back.