Skip navigation

My game so far, Pause-o-rama

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > My game so far, Pause-o-rama
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Being attack and harrassed on four fronts plus all the counter capturing and slave gathering Im doing I rarely can have the game unpaused for more than 5 seconds. I think I play the game 80% paused at least.
My economy is at about 4200 and I dont have triemes yet. I conquered south to Lamia, west to Tymphia and then North to Stropsko. I just now have finally started attacked just east of the capital Pella.

Amphaxis was an epci multiyear battle, in the end I had collected 90+ slaves just from fights near there.
I was stopped horribly at Lamia, just below it is a new faction with TWO battle shrine right there at the choke point. I finally let them just have Lamia till I can flank them with triemes.

Still having lots of fun. Ive easily got my Gencon $20 worth. Starcraft II is gathering dust. Im not sure Ill have the patience to reply on the hardest setting but I might some day....if Elemental: War of magic and Civ 5 let me..

Tom

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Yep, the game manual also suggest the use of pause, pause and pause....IMO, no ways you can do it efficiently with wars on all fronts without pausing it.

I recently decided to switch to the expert difficulty after playing with normal difficulty for awhile and it's been alot of fun, more actions and more hoplites to fight with ;)

Lamia is a good training ground for my phalangites to gain experiences, a phalangites with a good heroic skill general attached can easily crush 2 hoplites brigades.

I think you can switch to another difficulty any time in the game without restart a new one.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Expert gives you more actions? And more Hoplites?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 16, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Expert mode won't give you extra resources, but since you'll be fighting more, your troops will level up faster. And yes, you can adjust the difficulty at any time; just go into the 'Gameplay' section of the options.

The best advice I can give to reduce the number of simultaneous battles (other than switching to easy mode) is to only invade one faction at a time, until they're extinct. You'll still get raided, but you won't get harassed as much by factions trying to take back their stuff.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Yeah, I defintely have noticed the increase amount of simultaneous attacks and raids on expert difficulty. Better yet, the AI is producing powerful units. It's funny to watch the Illyrians and Paeonians raid my Heraklea Lyncestis city at the same time and eventually fought with each other while my garrison spearmen are having popcorns and enjoying the show over the city wall :)

I didn't know that units gain experiences faster in expert difficulty, thanks for the tips.