Skip navigation

No seasonal graphics?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > No seasonal graphics?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Ive been tooling around conquering and then suddenly its the middle of winter and my guys are out of food!

Probably too late to 'patch' but I surprised there is no snow effects....or maybe it doesnt snow in Greece?

Wak

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but although in some places in Greece it does snow, up in the mountains of the central and north, it may have snowed even less back then as Greece was a lot more tropical than it is now, it had lions, other animals and vegetation that is found in more equatorial countries nowadays... but I dunno if the developers knew that or they just didn't think or didn't have the budget/time for that kind of graphics...

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 14, 2010 at 7:52 am

In my view the developers have made the wise choice to focus on the AI and the game mechanism and balance, instead of simple graphical effects.

After all, at the top of the screen you can always easily see the season and which part of such season, such as "Late Autumn" or "Early Winter". And you can then plan accordingly.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 14, 2010 at 7:56 am

Yeah, they occasionally got snow, but they didn't exactly get a lot. It's not a particularly temperate region.

We did originally want seasonal effects, and we tooled around with it for a while. We even got it to the point where the northern areas were covered in snow, but we weren't happy with the way it looked, so we cut it. We're hoping to be able to add seasonal effects in the sequel.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm

More eye candy is always a welcome feature to have in addition to a solid game mechanic and AI. Just my opinion ;)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 19, 2010 at 8:36 am

As long as there is no tradeoff. :o)