Skip navigation

hegemony specs

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > hegemony specs
Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 13, 2005 at 7:55 am

Oh...nice!

I definately look forward to beta testing it. What are the mininum specs to run it?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 13, 2005 at 9:04 am

We won't know specs for sure until all the features are in but at a minimum it will require a DirectX 8 level video card with 1.1 pixel and vertex shaders. Everything is scalable and we've been running it on Geforce 3 cards without a problem.

However, if you've got the power the game will take advantage of it. On cards with version 2 or 3 shaders you will notice fancier water, shadows and vegetation deformation. As well, the terrain supports dynamic LOD like tread marks and can be variably tessellated depending on the poly limits of the video card.

rob

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 13, 2005 at 11:03 am

Nice avatar rob

Posted on July 13, 2005 at 1:03 pm

can't take any credit, I've got a subscription to a 3d wallpaper sight called www.digitalblasphemy.com and I cropped it from the wallpaper I was using.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 13, 2005 at 2:48 pm

thats cool.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 14, 2005 at 9:46 am

I've visited DB for years...but never wanted a subscription.

Main reason I was asking about the specs is I've got a GeForce 4 TI 4200 and it is no longer able to play an occasional high end game (think Battlefield 2), but I refuse to upgrade it since I'm looking at a mobo/cpu upgrade in about a year where I'll change to PCI-Express...so...getting a new AGP card is a waste of money :)

However, such a mobo upgrade will be dependent on money since I've got a high priority of a new laptop first.

Posted on July 14, 2005 at 11:55 am

I had been using DB wallpaper almost since they started but it wasn't until a year ago that I got a subscription. As another shareware developer I figured I shouldn't exploit the system indefinately :D

A Geforce 4 will have no problems playing the game well (Philippe has been using one up until a week ago). Unlike Battlefield 2 (which we had to try in the office because our home computers wouldn't run it :D ) Hegemony will scale the effects so you'll be able to play. You'll also be able to choose what's important so you can lower the terrain LOD and spend more resources on the shadows or water if you want.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 15, 2005 at 12:10 am

Yeah, I was going to get a subscription to DB at one point, then said: I don't want to afford this...

If you're wondering about my avatar, it is a ship I am working on (just for fun) using Blender. I've got WIPs of it up here: http://www.vorklift.com/gallery/warship_wips

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 24, 2005 at 2:27 pm

Hasn't blender been getting great, recently? And Inkscape. The best stuff I've seen, though, on the line of 3d and great for fast backgrounds is chaoscope. But that's only if you're into fractals.... err... not fractals... it's weird. It only renders strange attractors. The chaos is VERY impressive, though. Check these out:

Now...back to the subject.

Hegemony rocks! I'd prolly have time to beta it..... I was just wondering if the ATI mobility radeon 9600 on my comp would be enough. I mean, I've been able to run doom 3 just fine on most of the higher settings (when I did some tricky driver clocking and process priorities, that is). For all of your using laptops, be sure to check out omega drivers: [url]http://www.omegadrivers.net/</a>

That is a NICE site. Bless that fellow, he does all this great driver programming for free (at least, last time I checked he did). Hegemony looks like something me and Gold Ant would like. We normally always get the latest, best RTS and goof off until we crash the server or our computers.

It's great to see LDA persuing more great games! Speaking of which, now that I've got my lab stipends almost in the bag, I might have to buy me some DX-ball levels. X-D

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on July 24, 2005 at 2:50 pm

Will an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card work? That's what I have, and hopefully will be within the required hardware settings... I can't afford to get another card... even though it is getting outdated... (I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU and a Gig of ram, and 120GB harddrive fyi). :D

O, sweet thingies Dudymas, the first one reminds me of an octopus with 5 legs and the second one looks like screwed up bubbles... shiny... :mrgreen:

Posted on July 24, 2005 at 11:18 pm

Either a Geforce FX 5200 or Radeon 9600 will be fine to run the game. As they're both DirectX 9 level cards they will be able to support almost all of the graphical effects. The only catch is that you might not be able to turn them all on at once. But you can decide what's more important to you, more terrain polys, fancier shadows or whatever.

As a note, for the initial beta next month we'll most likely be focusing on showing off with the high-level cards while remaining compatible on the low-level ones. Once we get closer to release we'll try to optimize things for more of the mid-range cards.

rob

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 6, 2005 at 3:55 pm

BLENDER?!!!!
No I can't stand it. Duno if your all just that little bit smarter than me but that was quite confusing - nice work Dudy' -Stick some of theese on liquid tanks maybee?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 13, 2005 at 1:50 pm

i love those pictures nice.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Just some general reference charts for folk who might be looking to upgrade their video cards for this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units

hurry hurry hurry want to play this game release now yes please ok thanks.