Skip navigation

Multiple units recruit and common group functions

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Multiple units recruit and common group functions
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm

It would be nice if we can utilize the Shift + click to recruit 5 or 10 workers at once, group them up and be able to pick up food and disband them. Currently, I find it too tedious when performing such simple tasks. What do you think ?

By the way, is it just me when I open up the City/Units List, the game became very laggy ?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 12, 2010 at 1:33 am

It's not just you. When I programmed the text layout code, I wasn't expecting it to be used for as many things as we ended up using it for, so it wasn't designed to be very efficient for really big blocks of text, and it's even worse when all that text is made up of links, like in the asset list. Since the asset list came late in development, there wasn't much we could do about it, but it's definitely something we'll be improving in the future. I have some long-term plans on how to improve our text layout code the "right way", and that will probably end up in future games, but Rob has an idea to reduce the amount of text in the asset list, which will immediately improve the performance there. With any luck, that fix will end up in a future patch of Philip.

The workers idea is interesting; I'll mention it to the other guys. For now, if you want to hire a lot of units, the quickest way to do it is to use the numpad. Each of the nine buttons on the control panel maps to the key on the numpad in the same position, so to hire five workers, just press the key combo '7, 7' five times. If you wanted to hire three peltasts from a Macedonian city, just press '7, 9' three times.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Yes, I'm starting to use the numpad more and more as I progress deeper into the game. I'm almost done here, currently had 26 out of 29 hegemony objectives done, I just holding them off and try to capture all the cities on the map just to see how it goes.

Thanks for the clarification on the assets-list's performance and glad to hear that you guys continue to improve them.